BRIGHTON AWAY - FA Cup 4th Round

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Step

Re: BRIGHTON AWAY - FA Cup 4th Round

Post by Step »

I'm in the away end (Ipswich) tonight at Brighton to do a bit of fact finding on our opposition!

And yes The Albert is the best proper pub and The Hikers Rest is a dive infiltrated by chavy morons (and that's just the meathead bouncers on the door).

Drink by Brighton station. It makes sense.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Step wrote:I'm in the away end (Ipswich) tonight at Brighton to do a bit of fact finding on our opposition!

And yes The Albert is the best proper pub and The Hikers Rest is a dive infiltrated by chavy morons (and that's just the meathead bouncers on the door).

Drink by Brighton station. It makes sense.

Do you have 30years in management to be able to do fact finding.

Step

Post by Step »

First the bad news. Brighton pretty good going forward, particularly from set pieces. Wenger beware of taking this one for granted.

Good news draught Kronenbourg (5.5%) in the away end (in addition to your standard crappy fosters). Fancy trusting 4500 Gooners with strong lager!!!

Agent Step- mission accomplished!

augie

Post by augie »

One of the biggest team selection dilemma's le cock has had in recent seasons -

1. Do not drop ospina - it makes zero sense to rotate a keeper that has only played a handful of first team games so far. Give him more gametime to see (a)if he is good enough (b) more experience (c) a chance to build chemistry with the back 4 and rest of team

2. Should wenker drop cazorla ? Does it make sense to drop a guy after playing probably his best game since he joined the club ? Would giving him a rest disrupt the chance of him getting into a flow and hinder his chances of building on last week and gain more confidence ?

3. Why drop coquelin ? Similar to ospina, he hasnt played much football lately and he needs more games in the first 11 not less. I'm not at all convinced that this guy is good enough and resting him for this gives the impression that he is a vital player for us and I dont think that he is.

On the flip side of that we all know that sanchez and kos should not be risked in this and in an ideal world BFG would be rested too. Ozil, wally, sosicky and chambers def need a runout and I would like to see gideon zelalem get a game too cos he impressed me in the pre season games.

This game does have the feel of a banana skin about it - hughton has certainly made a big difference there but I dont see us losing this and expect us to run out a comfortable 3-1 winners 8) However if we were to lose (or even draw this) then all of last weeks good work will be seriously shot to shite and we would be in absolute turmoil

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

Very few will be rested - we are playing once a week at the moment right? Alexis will start but agree the likes of Ozil, Walcott will come in.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Step wrote:I'm in the away end tonight at Brighton.
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

We should win this - But it is the FA Cup after all - AND we are The Arsenal - The team that likes to give a helping hand to those teams going through a bad run AND we DO like to do things the hard way.

we need to score 2 or 3 goals before half-time or it could make our players 'a leetle bit nervous' - and you know what happens to our mighty defence when it gets 'jumpy'..... :?

:barscarf: COYG :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

arseofacrow wrote:
Step wrote:I'm in the rear end tonight at Brighton.
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

:shock:

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

'We can see you holding hands'

Step

Post by Step »

--- oh and I forgot to say I was chatting with the stewards at HT last night and they fully expect and are quite happy to allow the 4500 Gooners to stand throughout the match.

The 900+ tractor boys did last night and were never once asked to sit down.

Make the most of it and lets have a cracking atmosphere!

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

augie wrote:One of the biggest team selection dilemma's le cock has had in recent seasons -

1. Do not drop ospina - it makes zero sense to rotate a keeper that has only played a handful of first team games so far. Give him more gametime to see (a)if he is good enough (b) more experience (c) a chance to build chemistry with the back 4 and rest of team

2. Should wenker drop cazorla ? Does it make sense to drop a guy after playing probably his best game since he joined the club ? Would giving him a rest disrupt the chance of him getting into a flow and hinder his chances of building on last week and gain more confidence ?

3. Why drop coquelin ? Similar to ospina, he hasnt played much football lately and he needs more games in the first 11 not less. I'm not at all convinced that this guy is good enough and resting him for this gives the impression that he is a vital player for us and I dont think that he is.
i'm not sure about this game, but when Ozil and Arteta are fit, Caz and Coq will be dropped down the pecking order. wonga has traditionally played caz out wide and ozil together. i don't see him dropping alexis to do that, or giroud. perhaps he'll drop ox and play caz, arteta, ozil and ramsay/jack ? or keep ox and play caz, ramsay, ozil, ox ?

either way it will be terrifically unbalanced, provide zero cover for the backs and be a soft touch - all together now...There's only one....

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

remigardeshair wrote:'We can see you holding hands'

i wouldn't chant that mate, or you won't even see half time.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

yeah, brighton do not take the 'homophobic' chants lying down. they have a very hard stance on them i hear :shock:
although I don't think there was any of that in the last cup clash a couple of years ago, everything seemed quite good natured.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:yeah, brighton do not take the 'homophobic' chants lying down. they have a very hard stance on them i hear :shock:
although I don't think there was any of that in the last cup clash a couple of years ago, everything seemed quite good natured.
is that the fans or the stewards ?

gp543

Post by gp543 »

clockender1 wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:yeah, brighton do not take the 'homophobic' chants lying down. they have a very hard stance on them i hear :shock:
is that the fans or the stewards ?
It shouldn't matter. That sort of thing just isn't on and Arsenal supporters should uphold our reputation of being above that low-minded shit.