"Safety Not Guaranteed" Uncovers The Man Behind the Ad

Share details of Arsenal items for sale (NOT tickets), news of forthcoming events and fundraising with your fellow Gooners here.
agustian

"Safety Not Guaranteed" Uncovers The Man Behind the Ad

Post by agustian »

How do you turn a small Internet meme into an engaging full-length film? Create an interesting story around a character that casts himself from the real world and allow the audience to discover who he is along with the film’s protagonists. “Safety Not Guaranteed” is a low-budgeted filmdirected by Colin Trevorrow and starring Aubrey Plaza, Jake Johnson, and Mark Duplass.

The origin of the meme dates back to an ad placed in a 1997 issue of Backwoods Homes Magazine. Over time, a scanned picture of the ad made the rounds online through blog posts and social media. At one point, it was featured in the “Headlines” segment on the “Tonight Show with Jay Leno.” When adapting the ad to film, the contact info is moved from Oakview, California to Ocean View, Washington. When you read the ad, it’s both comical and questionable. Is whoever wrote this serious? Is this a joke? Does someone actually have the capability to time travel and the scientific community just doesn’t know about it? Written by Derek Connolly, “Safety Not Guaranteed” attempts to uncover the man behind the ad with a fictional story of the journalists who seek him out and try to understand him.

Plaza plays Darius Britt, a young college graduate without any sense of direction. Her droll, unenthusiastic personality (which isn’t a far cry from her portrayal of April Ludgate on “Parks and Recreation”) makes it difficult to personally connect with other people. She lives with her widowed father while working as an unpaid intern for Seattle Magazine. During a staff meeting, writer Jeff Schwensen (Johnson) pitches an idea for a story about a peculiar classified ad looking for a partner to embark on a comically worded mission: Preview

"Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. I have only done this once before. Safety not guaranteed."

Upon approval by his editor, Jeff selects int

QuartzGooner

Re: "Safety Not Guaranteed" Uncovers The Man Behind the Ad

Post by QuartzGooner »

"Safety Not Guaranteed"

Sounds like a film about Arsenal's title run in during the past decade.
Unable to take Champions League qualification for granted, we fear the worst, but somehow get into the top four.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

agustian wrote:How do you turn a small Internet meme into an engaging full-length film? Create an interesting story around a character that casts himself from the real world and allow the audience to discover who he is along with the film’s protagonists. “Safety Not Guaranteed” is a low-budgeted filmdirected by Colin Trevorrow and starring Aubrey Plaza, Jake Johnson, and Mark Duplass.

The origin of the meme dates back to an ad placed in a 1997 issue of Backwoods Homes Magazine. Over time, a scanned picture of the ad made the rounds online through blog posts and social media. At one point, it was featured in the “Headlines” segment on the “Tonight Show with Jay Leno.” When adapting the ad to film, the contact info is moved from Oakview, California to Ocean View, Washington. When you read the ad, it’s both comical and questionable. Is whoever wrote this serious? Is this a joke? Does someone actually have the capability to time travel and the scientific community just doesn’t know about it? Written by Derek Connolly, “Safety Not Guaranteed” attempts to uncover the man behind the ad with a fictional story of the journalists who seek him out and try to understand him.

Plaza plays Darius Britt, a young college graduate without any sense of direction. Her droll, unenthusiastic personality (which isn’t a far cry from her portrayal of April Ludgate on “Parks and Recreation”) makes it difficult to personally connect with other people. She lives with her widowed father while working as an unpaid intern for Seattle Magazine. During a staff meeting, writer Jeff Schwensen (Johnson) pitches an idea for a story about a peculiar classified ad looking for a partner to embark on a comically worded mission: Preview

"Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. I have only done this once before. Safety not guaranteed."

Get off the drugs, Hlebby. :roll: :|

:D :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

agustian wrote:How do you turn a small Internet meme into an engaging full-length film? Create an interesting story around a character that casts himself from the real world and allow the audience to discover who he is along with the film’s protagonists. “Safety Not Guaranteed” is a low-budgeted filmdirected by Colin Trevorrow and starring Aubrey Plaza, Jake Johnson, and Mark Duplass.

:shock:

DB as the resident linguist can you please tell me what this is all about, I went cross eyed by the 2nd paragraph :| :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:

:shock:

DB as the resident linguist can you please tell me what this is all about, I went cross eyed by the 2nd paragraph :| :lol:
No problems, mate. It's about 300 words too long. :lol: :wink: