ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Redarmy »

xgtdec wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:47 pm
And on the ESR front, when he plays and plays well that's great, but far too often last season he's gassed after 20 minutes and just doesn't look like he's got a full 90 in him, hopefully something thats been worked on.

But if someone comes in that can provide a similar super qualiteeee and actually go 90 minutes without looking like theyve had a day and night on the tiles then obviously that players gonna play.

ESR needs to up his fitness game, and thats no matter where he's playing or who he's playing for!
yes heard the ESR fitness questions...that seems to be gathering pace

He is quality and brings something different to the team, his vision and passing and moving can be devastating he is without doubt a true talent...and he can add a few goals

Sure the Fitness level will come up to pace with a good pre season....

wibble

Post by wibble »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:03 am
We still need another striker, immaterial of how good or bad Jesus is and how mediocre the feather is two strikers is not enough and even if you include Martinelli as a potential option none of them offer the option of holding the ball up to bring others into play.

We desperately need cover for LB, we need a better back up at RB and for the love of God we need rid of Xhaka, or at the very least need enough options so he becomes immaterial and at no time is he ever used as the answer to play any alternative position except water boy!!!!
Balogun is another (admittedly not very good) striker option. I imagine he’ll get game time in the europa

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:18 pm
Interesting replies. I'd ask who was looking good during the second half of the season and why single a youngster out. He was quality for the first half of the season and then couldn't get his place back when fit. It's difficult to get up to pace and put together a run of form when you're in and out of the team and usually only getting 15-20 mins as a sub. He did often looked knackered, but apart from being young, he also puts far more in than most of the midfield.

Yep, I'm all for picking the form players, but that clearly isn't how Arteta sees it. Just like Wenger, he picks his favourites, regardless of how they perform. Does anyone honestly think that Odegaard brings more to the side? I don't. He's absolutely typical of our midfielders since 2006....neat, technically good, but lightweight, easily bullied and lacking dynamism and power.

If ESR and Martinelli go, as I'm sure they will within the next couple of years, then I hope they have fabulous careers somewhere else and make Arteta look like the mug he is. It might send a message to some of our supporters too. Under Captain Black, they're the two players that are never guaranteed a start regardless of how well they've performed.
100%
Comments on Odegaard are accurate in my opinion....hes neat and tidy....but dwells on the ball...not one to dominate a game in fact is prone to disappear when it gets tough...no cutting edge

These younsters have come through the ranks like Saka...they are the life blood of the club...not fucking mercenaries like that shit Willian who i was totally against signing...by the way he seemed to play every week as well

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

I cant believe youre still convinced esr and gabi are leaving , both have signed long term deals .
I think youre all working yourselves up into a frenzy with no evidence to back it up.
ESR clearly had fitness issues second half , gabi played the majority of games as Ive stated before.

If he sold both if them he would be , he may as well resign as he would never survive the fans wrath.
Odegaard by the way was in the top 5 chance creators in the prem last year

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

gooner265 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:51 pm
I cant believe youre still convinced esr and gabi are leaving , both have signed long term deals .
I think youre all working yourselves up into a frenzy with no evidence to back it up.
ESR clearly had fitness issues second half , gabi played the majority of games as Ive stated before.

If he sold both if them he would be , he may as well resign as he would never survive the fans wrath.

Ok 265, as I've said before, let's wait and see. To be clear, I have never said he'll sell them this summer. What I've said a number of times is that they won't be here for more than two years and I've added Saka into the equation too.

ESR and Martinelli will likely go as a result of limited playing time...or Arteta will offload them...and Saka will be lured away as he gets fed up with finishing anywhere between 5th and 8th.

You heard it here first. :-P

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

How about ESR and Partey in CM? ESR likes a tackle and can play neat passes. Could he be the Xhaka replacement we’ve all been craving all this time?

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

Is there anything to be said for Ben White replacing xhaka with Saliba coming in for him, since one of his only attributes is passing he couldn't possibly be worse could he.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I think when you look at their stats there isn't a great deal of difference ESR 10 goals 2 assists in 33 whereas Odegaard is 7 goals 4 assists in 36 in the EPL, so ESR is a goal scoring 10 Odegaard is a creative 10. The problem is you can't fit both in the team at once...

What irritates me is where Odegaard gets called out for dwelling on the ball or getting caught out the same level of criticism isn't aimed at ESR for his mistakes or lack of fitness.

Maybe it is because ESR is an youth player who came through the ranks but for me I'm more interested in the better player on the day being in the squad rather than some arbitrary favour of where they originated from or some fantasy Arteta prefers one over the other, if we could see that ESRs fitness wasn't up to scratch then probably the manager could too.

For the record in most instances I'd prefer ESR but he needs to seriously work on his fitness because in most games he started he was seriously blowing by half time even before his injury, the previous season it was noticed by many on here too

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Of all of our younger players I think that ESR will turn out to be the best one but I do think that fitness affected him last year . Not for the same reasons as Saka who was overplayed by both club and country.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Kingralph wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:26 pm
How about ESR and Partey in CM? ESR likes a tackle and can play neat passes. Could he be the Xhaka replacement we’ve all been craving all this time?
Yes Ralph, he could replace him, as Torreira and Guendouzi could have and as even Elneny still should, but Arteta sees Xhaka as some bizarre sort of answer to God knows what. For all the reasons that I want Arteta gone from a job he should never have been appointed to, his attachment to Clubfoot is the overwhelming one.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:33 am
I think when you look at their stats there isn't a great deal of difference ESR 10 goals 2 assists in 33 whereas Odegaard is 7 goals 4 assists in 36 in the EPL, so ESR is a goal scoring 10 Odegaard is a creative 10. The problem is you can't fit both in the team at once...

What irritates me is where Odegaard gets called out for dwelling on the ball or getting caught out the same level of criticism isn't aimed at ESR for his mistakes or lack of fitness.

Maybe it is because ESR is an youth player who came through the ranks but for me I'm more interested in the better player on the day being in the squad rather than some arbitrary favour of where they originated from or some fantasy Arteta prefers one over the other, if we could see that ESRs fitness wasn't up to scratch then probably the manager could too.

For the record in most instances I'd prefer ESR but he needs to seriously work on his fitness because in most games he started he was seriously blowing by half time even before his injury, the previous season it was noticed by many on here too
To be fair Muzz, I don't give a damn what a player's background is...whether he came through the system, whether we bought him, or whether he walked in off of Hackney Marshes....if he's good enough, I want him to play. I'm a fan of ESR for the simple reason that I think he's already a very good player and has the potential to be outstanding. He also bring something to the side that others don't, because he'll pick up the ball and drive at the opposition. He plays on the half turn and his touch and passing are excellent. Sure, it doesn't always work, but he's young and it works more often than not. I agree with A11M11 that he is potentially the most exciting prospect of our youngsters, although if Martinelli recaptures the form he has shown in the past, then he's equally as exciting imo.

I remain somewhat unconvinced by Odegaard, because despite being neat, tidy, technically gifted and can see a pass, he's lightweight and can disappear when the going gets tough and we've had far too many of those in recent times. The best players rise to the occasion, not fade away. Don't get me wrong, I'm not vehemently anti Odegaard, he's a good footballer and we've got far bigger worries than him, but I'm always disappointed when he plays instead of ESR and we can't play them both at number 10.

Bottom line, we'll lose ESR and that's a big mistake.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:23 am
Kingralph wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:26 pm
Yes Ralph, he could replace him, as Torreira and Guendouzi could have and as even Elneny still should, but Arteta sees Xhaka as some bizarre sort of answer to God knows what. For all the reasons that I want Arteta gone from a job he should never have been appointed to, his attachment to Clubfoot is the overwhelming one.
Absolutely. It's like he has a blind spot when it comes to just how incredibly shit and just what a liability the spoiled entitled childish selfish useless prick really is.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

🚨 || Arsenal have reportedly made a €40m (£34m) bid to sign Marco Asensio, with their main rivals Milan, believed to have bid around €30m (£25m) for the Spaniard [Via - @DefCentral].

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:48 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:51 pm

Ok 265, as I've said before, let's wait and see. To be clear, I have never said he'll sell them this summer. What I've said a number of times is that they won't be here for more than two years and I've added Saka into the equation too.

ESR and Martinelli will likely go as a result of limited playing time...or Arteta will offload them...and Saka will be lured away as he gets fed up with finishing anywhere between 5th and 8th.

You heard it here first. :-P
Yep we'll agree to disagree

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

🚨 || Arsenal are ready to submit a £30m bid for Youri Tielemans. They’re confident on sealing a deal [Via - @DeathIrwin].

🚨 Youri Tielemans has made it clear that he is keen to become a major player in Arsenal’s rebuilding process, yet his signing will not be the end of Mikel Arteta’s spending spree, although he is resigned to missing out on Raphinha, despite tabling a £55m bid. [@SunSport] #afc https://t.co/2QWqdFdqMh