ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by OneBardGooner »

Regardless of what languages Arteta speaks - and he does extremely well, he has a very expansive and intelligent Lexicon, so for anyone to criticise that would simply show their own lack of intelligence.

It is a very different thing to criticise his ability as a Coach / Manager, but to criticise his ability to speak a language is not appropriate.

I am of the firm belief that Wenger would purposefully mis-use the English language in order to cover up his weaknesses as a manager, and of course say something for 10 minutes which was pure waffle and a load of bollocks.

augie

Post by augie »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:22 pm
Regardless of what languages Arteta speaks - and he does extremely well, he has a very expansive and intelligent Lexicon, so for anyone to criticise that would simply show their own lack of intelligence.

It is a very different thing to criticise his ability as a Coach / Manager, but to criticise his ability to speak a language is not appropriate.

I am of the firm belief that Wenger would purposefully mis-use the English language in order to cover up his weaknesses as a manager, and of course say something for 10 minutes which was pure waffle and a load of bollocks.

To criticise emery's ability to speak english was deemed appropriate by many on here, plus I dont remember anyone criticising arteta's ability to speak the lingo ever :?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:42 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:22 pm

To criticise emery's ability to speak english was deemed appropriate by many on here, plus I dont remember anyone criticising arteta's ability to speak the lingo ever :?
I think there were (literally) one or two who thought it impacted on his ability to manage / coach the team, but to the best of my recollection it didn't get past Good Ebening.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

No new signings oer the sun...I know but...

Leaving ourselves short as ever. Promising start then don't make the extra effort to solidify.

Typical and so frustrating... partey absent and Jesus injured and we are back to square one and fooked

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:04 am

Leaving ourselves short as ever. Promising start then don't make the extra effort to solidify.

Typical and so frustrating... partey absent and Jesus injured and we are back to square one and fooked
Yeah that's the feeling I'm getting too. Was gearing up to be a very good transfer window but if that's it then expect the same old shit

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:22 am
the playing mantis wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:04 am

Yeah that's the feeling I'm getting too. Was gearing up to be a very good transfer window but if that's it then expect the same old shit

I would be very much up for signing a quality centre midfielder or another number 9, but if it came to a choice between signing another winger and signing no-one else, then I would opt for signing no-one else (and I say that as a fan of neto)

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:24 am

I would be very much up for signing a quality centre midfielder or another number 9, but if it came to a choice between signing another winger and signing no-one else, then I would opt for signing no-one else (and I say that as a fan of neto)
You were strongly against signing Jesus, Zinchenko and Vieira too so I’m not surprised you’re strongly against signing a new wide player.

Just out of interest, if Saka gets injured or loses form, who plays on the right?

Competition for Saka seems an obvious area to improve the squad to me.

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:29 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:24 am

You were strongly against signing Jesus, Zinchenko and Vieira too so I’m not surprised you’re strongly against signing a new wide player.

Just out of interest, if Saka gets injured or loses form, who plays on the right?

Competition for Saka seems an obvious area to improve the squad to me.

Take your pick from smith-rowe, vieira or marquinos (probably in that order for me).

Can you honestly tell me that competition/back up for saka would be a more obvious area than competition/back-up to jesus ? The drop off from jesus to nketieh is alarming I would think, but neither area is more important for me than buying a number 8 and getting rid of xhaka

Btw fact check for you - I said that I would be ok with signing jesus at £30m so my issue with him was the price not the signing - every though he has started well for us, I am waiting to see him against the good teams before I annoint him a success, and still think he isnt strong enough or good enough to be first choice number 9 for a team challenging for the big trophies.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:37 pm
Then you compare him to emery who was in the country for 18 months (and 6 days)
I’m getting serious Partridge super fan vibes from that “and 6 days” bit. The Don Unai ultras are fucking unstoppable :wink:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:09 pm

Take your pick from smith-rowe, vieira or marquinos (probably in that order for me).
I’ve never seen Vieira or Marquinhos play a competitive game so I couldn’t possibly tell you if (a) they’re good enough, or (b) they play right wing. Honestly no idea.

As for Smith Rowe, I like him from the left and at number 10. Not convinced his future is on the right at all to be honest.

By the way, do you think Saka’s long term future is right attack? I’d like to see him tried in left 8 personally. I just think he can offer more playing centrally. :rubchin: - that’s one of the reasons I was interested when we were linked with Raphina. Saka is playing just fine on the right though.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

g88ner wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:12 pm
augie wrote:

I’ve never seen Vieira or Marquinhos play a competitive game so I couldn’t possibly tell you if (a) they’re good enough, or (b) they play right wing. Honestly no idea.

As for Smith Rowe, I like him from the left and at number 10. Not convinced his future is on the right at all to be honest.

By the way, do you think Saka’s long term future is right attack? I’d like to see him tried in left 8 personally. I just think he can offer more playing centrally. :rubchin: - that’s one of the reasons I was interested when we were linked with Raphina. Saka is playing just fine on the right though.
Marquinhos definitely plays on the right and is pretty strong and powerful from the under 21 matches I’ve seen him in.
He is on the bench today so may well get 10-15 mins.

Vieira ? Odegaard replacement for me

Midz

Post by Midz »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:22 pm

Vieira ? Odegaard replacement for me
He'll be like a new signing...oh wait.. :D

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:12 pm
augie wrote:

I dont know if they are good enough either, but my thinking is because we are not man city or chavs we cannot afford to stockpile players that we not gonna use, and when these signings were announced we were told that both can operate on the wings, so that is why I am advocating playing them there instead of buying another winger - if not, then why did we buy them ??

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:59 pm

I dont know if they are good enough either, but my thinking is because we are not man city or chavs we cannot afford to stockpile players that we not gonna use, and when these signings were announced we were told that both can operate on the wings, so that is why I am advocating playing them there instead of buying another winger - if not, then why did we buy them ??
Yeah good point and one I agree with.

My thinking is that we won’t sign a new right winger if that’s the intended position for both Vieira and Saka because, you’re right, we can’t afford to stockpile players we won’t use.

We’ll just have to wait and see. Arteta has hinted that Vieira can play left 8, 10, wide left, right, etc. so let’s see where he ends up.

Also, I’m still not totally convinced Saka should spend his entire career on the right wing. I think he could potentially offer more playing centrally or left 8, so perhaps a new right sided player would free up Saka a little too? Who knows. Time will tell :)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

It looks very much like the Tielemans thing will not be happening now, but for me we need a defensive mid-fielder; Partey is injured again and we're only 4 games into the season.

I remember the other Leicester mid-fielder Ndidi he looked a half decent player (defensive mid-fielder) from what I recall (?)