Anyone else torn their cruciate ligament?

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
skizz_b

Re: Anyone else torn their cruciate ligament?

Post by skizz_b »

ps- these cruciate injuries are very common, when you tell people what you did to your knee quite often they think footballers are the only people who ever do it, sort of like beckham doing his metatarsal - you'd think nobody knew what it bloody was before WC2002!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

skizz_b wrote:ps- these cruciate injuries are very common, when you tell people what you did to your knee quite often they think footballers are the only people who ever do it, sort of like beckham doing his metatarsal - you'd think nobody knew what it bloody was before WC2002!
They're also very common in ballet dancers. I'm not naming names but I suspect a few on here have invented elaborate football-based contexts for their injuries because they're aware that Billy Elliott is not a respected male role model :rubchin:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:
skizz_b wrote:ps- these cruciate injuries are very common, when you tell people what you did to your knee quite often they think footballers are the only people who ever do it, sort of like beckham doing his metatarsal - you'd think nobody knew what it bloody was before WC2002!
They're also very common in ballet dancers. I'm not naming names but I suspect a few on here have invented elaborate football-based contexts for their injuries because they're aware that Billy Elliott is not a respected male role model :rubchin:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's BournemouthRED outed. :lol: :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

Always thought he was a bit 'John Inman' :? :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

Always thought he was a bit 'John Inman' :? :lol:
:lol:

Or possibly John - in - a - man? :shock:

:-P :wink: :wink:

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

What can I say, I look good in a leotard 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BournemouthRED wrote:What can I say, I look good in a leotard 8)
:coffeespit:
Quality. 8)

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Shitty.

I tore BOTH my ACL and MCL (at the same time) in my right knee a few years back playing in an adult league here. It was excruciating. I dont know that I've ever felt more pain than I did that night (about 5 hours after). Basically after I had an MRI to tell me it was torn, I then went through a long process of rehab. First, I had to go to rehab for about a month, 5 days a week, until I was able to fully straighten and bend my knee without pain. THEN I was ready for surgery, in which they took out a piece of my hamstring and made me a new ACL out of it. The MCL you can't replace, you just have to tear through scar tissue. After the surgery, I had to go to another ~3 months of rehab to regain full flexion in my knee. By that point, your muscle is completely gone, so then you have to go through another 3 months of rehab focused on strengthening your leg again.

Unfortunately for me, my free rehab ended when I graduated from college, in which i was only a month into strength training. I have worked my leg out on my own since then but I still feel like it is not as strong as it should be. I occasionally go out and play in some scrim games and what not, but I have to wear a brace because if i dont, I will occasionally feel my knee give way and its painful for about 5 minutes.

If you know about the ligaments, you know that the ACL is more on the top(ish) part of your knee where as your MCL is on the inside. When i tore them both it was the inside of my knee that was the most painful and made it the hardest to rehab. Meaning that the MCL is the more painful to tear even though the ACL is the one that requires surgery. The doctor told me that ACLs arent usually too painful (other than right afterwards) if torn by itself. Its when paired with another ligament like MCL or LCL that it becomes very painful. So if you have extreme discomfort you may have torn both. There is no way to really know unless you get an MRI.

Either way, it sucks. I know I'll have knee problems the rest of my life now and I'm only 28. The best thing you can do is properly rehab it with a physical trainer after you have surgery, and hope that you are one of the ones who fully recover.

You can look to the NFL and this last season's MVP, Adrian Peterson for a success story. He tore his MCL and ACL December 2011. He made a incredible recovery and was playing full contact again, as a running back (which is extremely physical, lots of cutting on your knee) by October of 2012 and set NFL records this season.. Granted he's a physical freak and has the BEST trainers money can buy, but it can happen.

Good luck.

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Yes, tore mine in 2006, had knee reconstruction a few months later, but came back to quickly (7 months), the thing to do once you've had it done is to exercise, exercise and exercise, there's been a few colleagues of mine who had exactly the same operation and they did fuck all, so once they start playing it goes again.

Anyway, I'm still playing at 49 every Sunday so I must have done something right..

Good luck mate and if you have the dough (or Bupa) get it done at the Wellington Hospital, this is the guy who did mine:-

http://www.fareshaddad.co.uk/about.html

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

franksav63 wrote:Yes, tore mine in 2006, had knee reconstruction a few months later, but came back to quickly (7 months), the thing to do once you've had it done is to exercise, exercise and exercise, there's been a few colleagues of mine who had exactly the same operation and they did fuck all, so once they start playing it goes again.

Anyway, I'm still playing at 49 every Sunday so I must have done something right..

Good luck mate and if you have the dough (or Bupa) get it done at the Wellington Hospital, this is the guy who did mine:-

:shock: :shock: :shock: Ooooh! you BIG Fibber ....Liar, liar Pants On Fire!!! They don't call you Car54 for nothing Frank! :D :D :wink:

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
franksav63 wrote:Yes, tore mine in 2006, had knee reconstruction a few months later, but came back to quickly (7 months), the thing to do once you've had it done is to exercise, exercise and exercise, there's been a few colleagues of mine who had exactly the same operation and they did fuck all, so once they start playing it goes again.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Ooooh! you BIG Fibber ....Liar, liar Pants On Fire!!! They don't call you Car54 for nothing Frank! :D :D :wink:

Oi... feck off!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:lol: :wink: :cheekkiss:

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

Soooooo, I'm finally scheduled in for ACL reconstruction and sorting out the cartilage next Friday!!!

Can't wait to finally start the road to recovery, I'm also looking forward to spending Xmas being waited on as I lay on the sofa playing ps3 8)

Not so happy about missing the chavs game and possibly the spurs FA cup game though!! :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BournemouthRED wrote:Soooooo, I'm finally scheduled in for ACL reconstruction and sorting out the cartilage next Friday!!!

Can't wait to finally start the road to recovery, I'm also looking forward to spending Xmas being waited on as I lay on the sofa playing ps3 8)

Not so happy about missing the chavs game and possibly the spurs FA cup game though!! :banghead:
Have to admit when I broke the ankle in 2006 I really enjoyed the summer off sitting on my ass, still getting paid, playing PS3 and being waited on by the missus and the kids. :lol: 8)

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Best of luck mate, hope all goes OK- you MAY well be able to get to watch those matches in the disabled area, might be worth asking the box office, especially as you are a season ticket holder you will almost certainly get some sort of precidence/ help for those matches. Theres quite a few disabled areas round the ground 8)

BUT WTF- injury in Feb, op in Dec :cussing: :cussing:

Its not that long a wait round here I dont think :rubchin: