Away scheme renewals

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Re: Away scheme renewals

Post by Herd »

Lots of emotion coming out on this thread but I still stand my ground on it .
Not a single penny of the money goes to Arsenal Football Club so why are they given priority over ST's ?
The system exists for people with money who can afford it , you don't have to be a season ticket holder or even a red member to become one.
This Is why there are many on it that use it for the sole purpose to make money from it .
I didn't slag our away support and there are many on it that use the tickets they buy but to say that there isn't a second hand market in away tickets is pure bullshit. I had one myself but gave it up when I moved out here ,I HAVE NEVER RESOLD A TICKET OVER FACE VALUE like many in my circles, u do it for friends for nothing and what goes around comes around.
If you don't use a ticket for a game you can (or certainly u used to be able to to) back it to the club and get a refund but since most games are oversubscribed its easy to get rid of them. Big games can go for big money !
I too feel sorry for red members who never get a sniff at final tickets but as I say the away tickets system is all about who has money .
It means that people can and do cherry pick their games at the expense of others .
As for buying comm shield tickets I'm just using the system as it exists,and everyone does it .
That's why Its so hard to get away tickets and the credits needed for Cup Finals because everyone's trying to keep their credits up.
I have had a season ticket over Arsenal since 1974 , I bought 2 bonds for the New North Bank and I feel I have paid my dues . Sorry but I do feel that I should have priority over Away season ticket holders .
I've been going to European away games since 1979,trust me is wasn't easy to get to some places .
I have in the past been an every game type of c unt and that wasn't just costly it was dangerous, can u imagine taking less than 100 to leeds the week b4 the Ipswich Cup final and having no segregation or protection from the baying hoards ?? alas cant do it no more but I still will go to more than a few,Europe too yet I will have to scratch around for tickets !
It's my opinion and might not be popular with some but I genuinely feel this and certainly not looking to get dragged down into a bitch fight over it !
Last edited by Herd on Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

We didn't get a credit for the Charity Shield last year.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Ok tks ! Don't see how I'm going to get 3 on the board then !

herbert

Post by herbert »

Gunnersaurus wrote:How does the away scheme work?

I know you are comitted to 19 league aways and 6 Cup aways but what happens if you can't go? Can you sell it back like you can do with the ticket exchange?
I think you can opt out of 1 or 2 games a season for special circumstances and apparently a few always get returned for our trip to
Shite hart lane :box:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Herd wrote:Lots of emotion coming out on this thread but I still stand my ground on it .
Not a single penny of the money goes to Arsenal Football Club so why are they given priority over ST's ?
The system exists for people with money who can afford it , you don't have to be a season ticket holder or even a red member to become one.
This Is why there are many on it that use it for the sole purpose to make money from it .
I didn't slag our away support and there are many on it that use the tickets they buy but to say that there isn't a second hand market in away tickets is pure bullshit. I had one myself but gave it up when I moved out here ,I HAVE NEVER RESOLD A TICKET OVER FACE VALUE like many in my circles, u do it for friends for nothing and what goes around comes around.
If you don't use a ticket for a game you can (or certainly u used to be able to to) back it to the club and get a refund but since most games are oversubscribed its easy to get rid of them. Big games can go for big money !
I too feel sorry for red members who never get a sniff at final tickets but as I say the away tickets system is all about who has money .
It means that people can and do cherry pick their games at the expense of others .
As for buying comm shield tickets I'm just using the system as it exists,and everyone does it .
That's why Its so hard to get away tickets and the credits needed for Cup Finals because everyone's trying to keep their credits up.
I have had a season ticket over Arsenal since 1974 , I bought 2 bonds for the New North Bank and I feel I have paid my dues . Sorry but I do feel that I should have priority over Away season ticket holders .
I've been going to European away games since 1979,trust me is wasn't easy to get to some places .
I have in the past been an every game type of c unt and that wasn't just costly it was dangerous, can u imagine taking less than 100 to leeds the week b4 the Ipswich Cup final and having no segregation or protection from the baying hoards ?? alas cant do it no more but I still will go to more than a few,Europe too yet I will have to scratch around for tickets !
It's my opinion and might not be popular with some but I genuinely feel this and certainly not looking to get dragged down into a bitch fight over it !
I dont think any true football supporter would disagree with you that long term home season ticket holders should have 1st priority on cup final tickets and I have no doubts that the away scheme is being abused by some,but from my own experience of where the spare tickets end up from our group and other groups I know is that they normally find the right home for face value or under face value .

Mistical92

Post by Mistical92 »

Herd wrote:The system exists for people with money who can afford it , you don't have to be a season ticket holder or even a red member to become one.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the only way you could get on the AS was to be a season ticket holder and wait for the times when the club allow new applications. I think there was one a couple of years ago, like I said it was only open to Gold/Platinum members.

gerstygooner

Post by gerstygooner »

As far as I know to join the away scheme you must be a travel club member...that's how I joined, don't know of any other way...

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

You have to be a ST holder, I e mailed the Box Office and enquired as I want to join the waiting list.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

herbert wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:How does the away scheme work?

I know you are comitted to 19 league aways and 6 Cup aways but what happens if you can't go? Can you sell it back like you can do with the ticket exchange?
I think you can opt out of 1 or 2 games a season for special circumstances and apparently a few always get returned for our trip to
Shite hart lane :box:
Thank you.

georgeknows89

Post by georgeknows89 »

Away scheme in very early days , must be i reckon 20 years ago was open to travel club members but certainly since Emirates has only been to ST holders.

Membership was about 1500 at peak as i understand and through natural wastage now sits around 1000-1100.It is very hard to get added and taking on board Herds passion , yes it is perhaps a bit lopsided in priority but like all schemes and rules it was fit for purpose at the time and hard to change .

The current value and rewards are yes good but I remember when we had Bolton /Blackburn/Middlesboro away 10-15 years ago on Saturdays live at 5.30 and lots of fans just had to burn /write off the money for these just to get the bigger games and suffered the financila hit by committing for the season

The driver behind adding members was the lowest away allocation and in times where a small allocation team is promoted they never add members- this happened for example when Blackpool were promoted , as it just compounds the problem when these games ( like now Bournemouth ) happen.

The bigger impact that all fail to grasp( Herd included ) is that since the Emirates you now have 168 diamond club members that have a contractual right GUARANTEEING them away tickets if they apply, you have 125 paying box holders that can apply ( not guaranteed but there is a box holder allocation to be shared out) for tickets and of course you have untold amount of commercial partners and sponsors all putting their hands up for tickets.

This puts immense pressure on the away ticket allocation, and as this information has snowballed in awareness over the last 10 years you have a situation where many Gooners ( and touts ) know someone who knows someone who has 1 of the above options to try and blag an away ticket .

No scheme is ideal forever .pre Hull final away, scheme had even more priority in the pre 2006 cup final era but the fact that those with 2-3 credits that were season ticket holders were allowed to apply at the same time as away members for Wigan /Hull onwards shows that the priority aspect has been diluted in importance a little.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Thanks for the explanation George much appreciated.
I know that in the past you didn't have to be an ST to be on it but if that has now changed to ST's or only new members to be ST's only fair enough.
I do also understand that amongst proper Gooners it is strictly a no no to ask above face, but their are times when I've had to pay through the nose from people who I know have them and do so to make money from it.

Lovely weather I've brought home with me Islington is looking great !