The Arsenal way

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
robbo10

Re: The Arsenal way

Post by robbo10 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:11 pm
robbo10 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:08 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:21 am
robbo10 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:43 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:30 am
Let's not get too historically revisionist here ffs lads. From 1996 to 2006 we played the best and most attractive football ever seen in England. But we also were tough as fuck and hard to beat. And yes initially lot of that was down to GG's old back 5. But then Petit and Vieira and later Gilberto were not GG signings and those guys extended the life of that defence by at least 5 years. And that 04 defence that went unbeaten was Wenger's, and yes I'm sure they learned a lot from GG's men in the hand over period.

But the key thing for me in that period was we were tough and hard to beat. The fantastic attacking style of our play was the cream on the cake but the cake was our ability to scrap and be hard to beat.

So for me it's substance over style every time. I'd rather be boring and negative and win trophies.... certainly rather that than claiming some empty Pyrrhic victory or moral superiority by playing beautiful football (which btw we don't anymore) and winning fuck all.
And the crux of the matter for me over Wenger is where the fuck his football philosophy went to horribly wrong,power and pace to weak and slow in such a short space of time,and what the fuck does Pyrric mean you clever fucker? :lol:
:D

It means a questionable victory where you lose so much to win that you ask yourself was it even worth winning.
So like World War One then?
I am truly enlightened now,thanks DB10! :hail:
I prefer anal. :D :wink: (edited that post for you :wink: :lol: :lol: )

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:30 am
Let's not get too historically revisionist here ffs lads. From 1996 to 2006 we played the best and most attractive football ever seen in England. But we also were tough as fuck and hard to beat. And yes initially lot of that was down to GG's old back 5. But then Petit and Vieira and later Gilberto were not GG signings and those guys extended the life of that defence by at least 5 years. And that 04 defence that went unbeaten was Wenger's, and yes I'm sure they learned a lot from GG's men in the hand over period.

But the key thing for me in that period was we were tough and hard to beat. The fantastic attacking style of our play was the cream on the cake but the cake was our ability to scrap and be hard to beat.

So for me it's substance over style every time. I'd rather be boring and negative and win trophies.... certainly rather that than claiming some empty Pyrrhic victory or moral superiority by playing beautiful football (which btw we don't anymore) and winning fuck all.
And the crux of the matter for me over Wenger is where the fuck his football philosophy went to horribly wrong,power and pace to weak and slow in such a short space of time,and what the fuck does Pyrric mean you clever fucker? :lol:

It means a questionable victory where you lose so much to win that you ask yourself was it even worth winning.
Ohhh! You mean like when you buy some bird a boat load of drinks - and then when you do get to hump her brains out later - after the 'event' you think Meh. :?

Much much easier to understand! :lol: :lol:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

robbo10 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:35 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

Then I think you are in good company on this forum :wink:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

StuartL wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:32 pm
robbo10 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:35 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Then I think you are in good company on this forum :wink:
:lol:

markyp

Post by markyp »

Anfield 89 that's the Arsenal way,backs to the wall,written off,everybody against us. fast forward to 91 again another title done the Arsenal way,captain jailed mid season but the team rallying to go on to lose just once ,this is the Arsenal way,nobody likes us we don't care,wenger and his mongs can fuck off with their powder puff Arsenal way

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

markyp wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:29 pm
Anfield 89 that's the Arsenal way,backs to the wall,written off,everybody against us. fast forward to 91 again another title done the Arsenal way,captain jailed mid season but the team rallying to go on to lose just once ,this is the Arsenal way,nobody likes us we don't care,wenger and his mongs can fuck off with their powder puff Arsenal way
Fucking loved the siege mentality back in the day,games where we were written off before a ball was kicked,Palma,Sampdoria,Anfield to name a few,games where you knew the players would be bang up for them,watching Arsenal was usually high drama,the semi v Villareal,fucking great games and great wins,I know we were total underdogs v City and Chelsea in last years FA Cup but them games are few and far between now,

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc9xWU7ObM8

Great video with Kevin Campbell for those of you reminiscing about the good old days.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

: Arsenal suspend U23 coach Steve Gatting and his assistant Carl Laraman following allegations of bullying.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:13 pm
: Arsenal suspend U23 coach Steve Gatting and his assistant Carl Laraman following allegations of bullying.
This poor snowflake generation and their sense of entitlement.... :oops: :censored:

"ooh he yelled instructions at me... that's bullying..." :roll:

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Was watching a Wenger documentary today where Dein says that Wenger’s way is....wait for it.....’progression through possession’
Anyone watching us for the last few years will tell you that in fact it’s ‘possession for the sake of it’

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:41 pm
Was watching a Wenger documentary today where Dein says that Wenger’s way is....wait for it.....’progression through possession’
Anyone watching us for the last few years will tell you that in fact it’s ‘possession for the sake of it’

I think it was Lord Wenger's accent that caused confusion. He meant "Regression through possession."

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:01 pm

Chapman's Arsenal and Wengerball was about attack. Mee and Graham were about defence.
Chapman was about counter attack. Chapman believed in letting the opposition have the ball and keeping a tight defence. Like Atletico.

From wikipedia (but there are many sources)

Arsenal's defence were told to play deep and, with the support of the wing halves, fall back into their own penalty area when the opposition had the ball; this allowed the opposition plenty of possession in Arsenal's half, until they reached the 18-yard line and faced a massed defence.[ Once Arsenal regained the ball – usually through the centre half Herbie Roberts – the ball would be quickly passed forward and the wing halves would push up to support the attackers, meaning Arsenal could quickly commit as many as seven men forward as a unit to rapidly attack and try to score

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

39 years ago today - 12 May 1979 saw us fuck over manure in that classic 3 -2 cup final.

That has a touch of the Arsenal way about it :D

I feel old :cry:

augie

Post by augie »

Didn't know where to put this, and I wasn't gonna start a new thread in case it upset our midget mod ( :wink: ), so seeing as the promo includes "The Arsenal" I said that I would put it in here

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... o-monreal/

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:29 pm
Didn't know where to put this, and I wasn't gonna start a new thread in case it upset our midget mod ( :wink: ), so seeing as the promo includes "The Arsenal" I said that I would put it in here

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... o-monreal/
You could "put this" up your arse... like you do with your sister's fingers. :wink: