Southampton (H) | PL | 21/4/2023 | KO 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BFG4

Re: Southampton (H) | PL | 21/4/2023 | KO 20:00

Post by BFG4 »

There isn't a team in the league that I would trust Holding against, can see Southampton having a huge amount of joy targeting him all game. Really is incredible to think that Arteta didn't sell him last summer(or in January) and In two windows the best he could do was find Kiwior - who he doesn't fancy at all, incredibly bad management.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Admittedly Holding isn't top drawer but when did he morph into a combination of Mustafi, Squillachi, Caesar and Colin Hill? :shock: :lol:

An easy scapegoat for some. Every team has and needs one I suppose.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:02 am
Admittedly Holding isn't top drawer but when did he morph into a combination of Mustafi, Squillachi, Caesar and Colin Hill? :shock: :lol:

Scapegoat??? We don't need scapegoats, why would we, we have serial offenders starting in crucial, crucial areas. Two of the most critical areas, CH and midfield and our 2 worst players are there. And we have replacements in Kiwor and Viera should they not meet the low standards set for them. We don't need "scapegoats"

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

:)
xisstential wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:32 pm
Clummo99 wrote:

Scapegoat??? We don't need scapegoats, why would we, we have serial offenders starting in crucial, crucial areas. Two of the most critical areas, CH and midfield and our 2 worst players are there. And we have replacements in Kiwor and Viera should they not meet the low standards set for them. We don't need "scapegoats"
Look up the definition of scapegoat. Holding is our 3rd choice right sided centre back so how is he underperforming? He's getting pelters when he didn't do much wrong except get bullied on a couple of challenges with Antonio. Our failings yesterday were on the left side so Gabriel and KT are at fault but people are blaming Holding? :roll: :lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:49 pm
:)
xisstential wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:32 pm
Clummo99 wrote:

Look up the definition of scapegoat. Holding is our 3rd choice right sided centre back so how is he underperforming? He's getting pelters when he didn't do much wrong except get bullied on a couple of challenges with Antonio. Our failings yesterday were on the left side so Gabriel and KT are at fault but people are blaming Holding? :roll: :lol:
I also don’t get it. Partey. Gabriel. Saka. Arteta. Can’t see what Holding did wrong. Did he make Partey act like a flash c unt when he tried to dink a ball over Rice in a suicidal position? Did he fall into the ground and allow Pacqueta to decieve the ref. Did he fail to take a penalty properly because he’s the “star boy”. Did he fail to make proper subs? Did he bring on Vieira? Did he take off Martinelli and Jesus when chasing a winner? Mad logic in this place. Yeah it’s Holdings fault!

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

It's not ALL Holdings fault, God knows there is enough blame to go around. But he is not good enough and he is an unsettling presence. Every time he gets the ball you are holding your breath.Would you like to play alongside him? He makes bang average strikers look like Pele, he often gets outstripped for pace and gets ragdolled by any striker over 5'5. But it's not all his fault, he doesn't pick himself.......and of course yet again, as it has been for years, once the 1st choice is out, the next guy on the list is 3 levels below him.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

He is our third choice. Saliba, White then Holding.

If Tomiyasu wasn't crocked he'd be at right back and Ben White would be alongside Gabriel.

Kiwior is a left footed, left side centre back. Agree with it or not Arteta likes to play a left footer and a right footer.

I always like to watch a game again if I can. It's amazing how differently you view it without the tension and nerves playing their part when it's live.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:25 pm
He is our third choice. Saliba, White then Holding.

If Tomiyasu wasn't crocked he'd be at right back and Ben White would be alongside Gabriel.

Kiwior is a left footed, left side centre back. Agree with it or not Arteta likes to play a left footer and a right footer.

I always like to watch a game again if I can. It's amazing how differently you view it without the tension and nerves playing their part when it's live.
Kiwior?? Wouldn't be the first time we bought a player then didn't trust him to play. You know if we had a solid presence replacing Xhaka in the midfield he would offer some cover, some protection to the backline. Xhaka, when he chases back, seems to do it so that he can have a closer look at the action. How often does he chase back and make a covering tackle?? Pretty much never.

I don't understand why, if we lose one player, the entire structure of the team falls apart. Losing Saliba has been catastrophic. Haarland against Holding..... :shock: :cry: :cry:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

This is getting out of hand now isn't it. :lol: I'm not arguing, just offering an alternate take on things. 8)

Kiwior was mentioned as a possible pick in front of Holding. He has just joined the club so how do you jump to him not being trusted? :lol:

And the Swiss Turd plays further forward now. He's only slightly more likely to chase back and make a tackle as Odegaard is.

A look and understanding of the bigger picture, the system and the tactics is required.

We've lost Tomi and Saliba.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Also have a watch back at the first half against City in the Cup. Holding was playing Haaland really well. Frustrating him and bullying him until he picked up a yellow card.

Haaland was giving as good as he was getting so a card could have gone either way but he was well frustrated.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Haaland has a short fuse and can be got at, he could have been sent off against Everton earlier in the season after they’d rattled him and he launched into a tackle 2 footed.

I’m surprised so few teams have targeted him to try and get him to react, time for us to engage in the dark arts.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:21 pm
Haaland has a short fuse and can be got at, he could have been sent off against Everton earlier in the season after they’d rattled him and he launched into a tackle 2 footed.

I’m surprised so few teams have targeted him to try and get him to react, time for us to engage in the dark arts.
Yep he's young and inexperienced at that side of the game. He's not at all used to it and can be riled I'm convinced.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:34 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:21 pm

Yep he's young and inexperienced at that side of the game. He's not at all used to it and can be riled I'm convinced.
I think youre both onto something with regards to the big ugly arsehole :rubchin: He did someone? Was it Gabriel? on the fly at our place and should've walked imo..and I think he should've seen red when they played Palarse at the emptyhad earlier in the season when they came from 2 down to win 4-2..He's a big media darling who plays for the Megabucks media darlings though :rubchin:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I’m absolutely fucking exhausted by the season, the rollercoaster of emotions we’ve all been on, shitting myself days out from games, my heart beating like fuck throughout the 90 minutes each week, I can hear it hammering out my chest. I’m shaking. That can’t be good. The agony, the ecstasy, the sheer torment and chaos of it all, I can barely bring myself to watch.

It’s truly an incredible thing to experience over such a long period of time, over two thirds of the year prisoner to this whole journey and we’ve to endure it 7 more times yet.

Undoubtedly this will kill me some day, it’s fucking excruciating.

I absolutely love it though.

COME ON YOU FUCKING GUNNERS COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN :barscarf:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:03 pm
This is getting out of hand now isn't it. :lol: I'm not arguing, just offering an alternate take on things. 8)

Kiwior was mentioned as a possible pick in front of Holding. He has just joined the club so how do you jump to him not being trusted? :lol:

And the Swiss Turd plays further forward now. He's only slightly more likely to chase back and make a tackle as Odegaard is.

A look and understanding of the bigger picture, the system and the tactics is required.

We've lost Tomi and Saliba.
I don't think Arteta has 100% faith in Kiwior. And I understand we have lost Saliba and Tomi, Tomi could go to RB and BW in the centre.......but that's my point. Lose 2 players, even one, Saliba, and the entire structure starts creaking. You take a guy like de Bruyne out of City's midfield and they'll still be formidable.

Everybody who knows us always knew this though.......the first 11 had to stay fit.

I still think ESR should have been getting game time......I was so glad when he finally came back, but there he is, riding the pine with a guy like Viera preferred to him

We are 4 really good players short of being consistently challenging. And Xhaka has to go....but he won't.