The Ashes

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
arseofacrow

Re: The Ashes

Post by arseofacrow »

Well done to Australia. Better in every way than England and well deserved victory.

Shame they're such a bunch of arrogant :censored: :D

Edit: Just to clarify, I mean the whole of Australia. :lol: :wink:

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Shit, piss and balls. We just didn't really look up for the fight at any point. I still think we've got enough about us to avoid the 5-0 and if we can do that while making a "positive" declaration then at least we can still win the Moral High ground Ashes :barscarf: :barscarf: 8)

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

LDB wrote:Shit, piss and balls. We just didn't really look up for the fight at any point. I still think we've got enough about us to avoid the 5-0 and if we can do that while making a "positive" declaration then at least we can still win the Moral High ground Ashes :barscarf: :barscarf: 8)
The way the Aussies were bleating on about "playing the more aggressive cricket" during our summer it seems as though the Moral High Ground Ashes (only just below the VT and The Be All And End All Last 16 in terms of significance) are more important anyway. Or maybe it's just when there's another series on your home turf three months later.

Ah well, only 18 months until we win them back. Clarke's dodgy back might be even more knackered by then and Haddin will most likely have gone. And good old Mitch's bowling is always shite over here.

TurnipMasher

Post by TurnipMasher »

LDB wrote:Shit, piss and balls. We just didn't really look up for the fight at any point. I still think we've got enough about us to avoid the 5-0 and if we can do that while making a "positive" declaration then at least we can still win the Moral High ground Ashes :barscarf: :barscarf: 8)
So, where does pissing on the Oval fit into this? :D :wink:

LDB

Post by LDB »

TurnipMasher wrote:
So, where does pissing on the Oval fit into this? :D :wink:
Nowhere because we comprehensively lost the Moral High Ground Ashes to Clarke and his band of merry attackers in the summer. But after wishing broken arms on our players I'd say we're 1-0 up with two to play this time around :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Hard luck, poms! (snigger). :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Only 226 runs on one day of a Test match, unbelievable.

Real pity that players are getting themselves in and then out for 30-odd. To be fair Carberry's came back in a long way and Root + Stokes fell to balls that they had to play at and shaped nicely, but Cook and Bell got out to lazy push shots and batsmen of their calibre who have got themselves set shouldn't be making those mistakes - especially not every Test match. And Bairstow looked well out of his depth.

Well done to Pietersen although dreadful fielding from the bloke to carry over the rope when he was on 4. England have a really long tail and danger is they got mopped up for under 300 tomorrow, have to be aiming for 350 but don't see it myself.

TurnipMasher

Post by TurnipMasher »

Well, that was interesting. Not sure what is going on in the England team but that was woeful to watch, as an Aussie I actually felt bad there (only for a bit though!)
Time for a clean out for England I think. Stokes looks to be the real deal though, look forward to seeing him in the next series. I think we (Australia) are going to get a serious belting against the Saffers though.
Also, Johnny Bairstow is the most annoying player in world cricket. Someone needs to tell the ginger little bastard that there's no need to run from behind the stumps EVERY FRIGGING TIME to mid-on/mid-off/cover etc to congratulate someone for stopping an easy single. He's like that ginger kid at school (every school had one) who had to make up for his disability (being ginger) and for having no friends (because he's ginger) by being super enthusiastic and irritating about everything.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Stokes and Broad are the only two players who can say they've had a good tour. I just can't see how Cook can carry on as captain or Flower as coach. England seemed to go through the whole series without any serious changes in approach, any real plans or any evidence of leadership. There are no good candidates to replace Cook but how can he look at himself and what's happened and suggest he's capable of the job? England's approach was incredibly stale over the summer and clearly needed to be rethinked but it wasn't, and the team selection was shit throughout.

This is by far the worst Ashes series in recent memory - contrasting it with 2006/07 Australia are half the team they were then. You really cannot underestimate how poor England have been - dismissed for less than 200 six times! Anderson might want to have a swansong this summer to set things right but can't see him touring again. Pietersen's personality and style of play are regularly dismantled in the media and by fans but I don't think people always give him credit for how much he loves playing cricket for England and I don't see him walking away.

On an entertainment point of view what a real shame that two teams that are fairly evenly-matched in terms of ability have produced two such uncompetitive series. It's absolutely no excuse for England's performance but what on earth were they thinking playing two series 3 months apart? If they wanted to get out of the World Cup year cycle surely the last series in ENgland should have been moved forward a year too? Series would then have been Dec 2010, June 2012, Dec 2013. Surely better than Dec 2010, June 2013, Dec 2013?

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

TurnipMasher wrote:Well, that was interesting. Not sure what is going on in the England team but that was woeful to watch, as an Aussie I actually felt bad there (only for a bit though!)
Time for a clean out for England I think. Stokes looks to be the real deal though, look forward to seeing him in the next series. I think we (Australia) are going to get a serious belting against the Saffers though....
Looking forward to that series and I think the Aussies do stand a chance of winning it. Australia's bowling attack was superb but their batting is susceptible - especially the top order. Not sure the South Africans will let you recover quite so easily from a poor start as what England did on a few occasions. However the strength in the squad of bowlers (which had a couple of other top guys out injured during this series) means you will always stand a chance. I think SA are slowly on the way down while the Aussies are rising again. Agree that England need a clear-out, starting with the selfish KP!! :evil:

LDB

Post by LDB »

I Hate Hleb wrote:
TurnipMasher wrote:Well, that was interesting. Not sure what is going on in the England team but that was woeful to watch, as an Aussie I actually felt bad there (only for a bit though!)
Time for a clean out for England I think. Stokes looks to be the real deal though, look forward to seeing him in the next series. I think we (Australia) are going to get a serious belting against the Saffers though....
Looking forward to that series and I think the Aussies do stand a chance of winning it. Australia's bowling attack was superb but their batting is susceptible - especially the top order. Not sure the South Africans will let you recover quite so easily from a poor start as what England did on a few occasions. However the strength in the squad of bowlers (which had a couple of other top guys out injured during this series) means you will always stand a chance. I think SA are slowly on the way down while the Aussies are rising again. Agree that England need a clear-out, starting with the selfish KP!! :evil:
Think the saffers will do them personally. Steyn is an unbelievable bowler, ripped apart India who are probably the best batting side in world cricket. Morkel and Philander would also walk into the Australian or English sides. Also can't see SA being anywhere near as weak against Australia's bowling. Should be an interesting series though, how many tests is it? Is it one of those shite tours where they only play 2 tests before all the shit one-day cricket that only lobotomy patients give a toss about start?

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

I'm afraid it's "Thanks for the memories but it's time to go" for Flower and the majority of his backroom staff, including Giles who I don't want anywhere near the main job full time. Mickey Arthur would be my choice despite his poor record with Australia, or Jason Gillespie who has done a decent job with the Yorkshire puddings

Not a fan of Cook as captain either especially as it's affected his batting but there's no alternative. Broad is not and never will be captaincy material

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

LDB, It's a 3 match series and starts in the middle of Feb. Australia go into it with good momentum and although you are right in saying SA have some fabulous players, I'm not sure they have as many as they once did. Either way, it should be a good series and one I will definitely keep an eye on (which is unusual as nowadays I normally only watch England, and even then, only against the other big nations).

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

South Africa will win series 2-0

TurnipMasher

Post by TurnipMasher »

northbank123 wrote: It's absolutely no excuse for England's performance but what on earth were they thinking playing two series 3 months apart? If they wanted to get out of the World Cup year cycle surely the last series in ENgland should have been moved forward a year too? Series would then have been Dec 2010, June 2012, Dec 2013. Surely better than Dec 2010, June 2013, Dec 2013?
I agree, seems absolute madness to play 10 tests more or less back to back. No wonder there was some niggle, the players must be sick of the sight of each other on the opposite team.

For me, I think KP has to go. He's an amazing player when he wants to be, but also a divisive crunt who's only out for himself. I would stick with Cook as captain though, but he needs to grow a set of nads and tell Anderson, Broad and Prior to fuck off when he's trying to set a field and do his job.
Not sure who I would pick as a spinner though, as I'm not sure who is coming through for you lot. Monty is a bit shit. Root is kind of handy but needs to focus on his batting. The Borthwick lad was well out of his depth despite picking up a few wickets, but I have a soft spot for leggies so hopefully he gets more of a chance.