The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
I Hate Hleb

Re: The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Augie - you can go along with your preconceived ideas and write him off as a waste if you want. I am prepared to give him more time before I confirm or change mine.

Berahino, Austin and Ulloa as comparisons!! You taking the piss, Ike? :shock: :oops: :oops: So he's no Gerd Muller? So what? Wouldn't have cost just £17m if he was as good or clinical as some of you guys expect him to be. :roll:

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Augie - you can go along with your preconceived ideas and write him off as a waste if you want. I am prepared to give him more time before I confirm or change mine.

Berahino, Austin and Ulloa as comparisons!! You taking the piss, Ike? :shock: :oops: :oops: So he's no Gerd Muller? So what? Wouldn't have cost just £17m if he was as good or clinical as some of you guys expect him to be. :roll:
IHH. Who is more clinical - Berahino or Welbz? In his career, has Welbeck (a career striker remember) ever managed more than 10 league goals in a season? I think you'll find the answer is negative. He isn't a clinical finisher. He just isn't - the players I named are better finishers and yes, I would have them as backup strikers over Welbz. Austin is a descent backup, he'd score more goal with the service at Arsenal, as would Berahino IMO. Not saying they're top class - clearly they're average, but I'd say superior finishers to Welbz (and I rate Berahino as the better player)

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Augie - you can go along with your preconceived ideas and write him off as a waste if you want. I am prepared to give him more time before I confirm or change mine.

Genuine question IHH. Do you think Welbeck is of the required standard of the 5th richest club in the world?
For example, when you see that Juve (not as rich as us) have Morata as their second striker, and you see teams like ManYoo have RVP as their second choice (behind Rooney)...or that even teams like Porto have eg Aboubakar as second striker...do you really think
Welbz is a viable option?

And what do you make of the fact that a £100k a week international striker did not outscore Manure's comedy centre back?
Is that good enough? A player with years of PL experience?!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Comparing Welbeck to Giroud to do the same job is like apples and oranges. One plays with pace and movement the other with his back to goal. Our play is designed to use a player of Girouds type as we advance slowly passing to keep possession. Welbeck like Walcott need to run on to things and use pace either to receive a ball on the run or else to come on to a ball pulled back from wide .If our full backs don't get down the line then the only players likely to give them this service are themselves. Ideally both are suited to playing off Giroud in a Toshack/Keegan type big man , small man system which of course is a style of play now outmoded . Our current system calls out for a forward that can run with the ball ,take on players and finish which so far neither have proven to be the player to do that. Perhaps Lacazette is the modern day Henry that Wenger is trying to mould these two into.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

And i think you've hit the nail on the head there A11M11, our setup and play style doesn't suit Danny, i find it odd that a striker who can seemingly score for fun in internationals struggles when in his club shirt.

I actually don't believe he is a great striker but i do believe he could be at least as good as Olivier if the team were setup to play to his advantages and therefore he'd be more prolific, that's why i also give credence to the fact that Danny really wasn't a Wenger buy, Wenger has a certain style of play these days and Danny really doesn't fit in to it.

:rubchin:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:

IHH. Who is more clinical - Berahino or Welbz? In his career, has Welbeck (a career striker remember) ever managed more than 10 league goals in a season? I think you'll find the answer is negative. He isn't a clinical finisher. He just isn't - the players I named are better finishers and yes, I would have them as backup strikers over Welbz. Austin is a descent backup, he'd score more goal with the service at Arsenal, as would Berahino IMO. Not saying they're top class - clearly they're average, but I'd say superior finishers to Welbz (and I rate Berahino as the better player)
Berahino has had one good season at a middling club where he more often than not got to play up top. Same with Austin. Ulloa has been so dog-shite since the first couple of weeks of the season that he couldn't even get into Leicester's struggling team for long periods!! None are in the same league as Welbeck when it comes to what they can offer a top club.

Welbeck on the otherhand has played the majority of his career everywhere but up top for two major clubs where there is normally top competition. Agreed Giroud isn't that and Welbeck maybe isn't either but I'm seen enough to suggest that given a prolonged run in the side in his favoured position he would score sufficient goals to help us win something, as well as all the other damage he would create with his pace and selfless hard work.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:

Genuine question IHH. Do you think Welbeck is of the required standard of the 5th richest club in the world?
For example, when you see that Juve (not as rich as us) have Morata as their second striker, and you see teams like ManYoo have RVP as their second choice (behind Rooney)...or that even teams like Porto have eg Aboubakar as second striker...do you really think

And what do you make of the fact that a £100k a week international striker did not outscore Manure's comedy centre back?
Of course I would ideally want better but I also like what Welbeck brings to the team. So other teams have options you prefer doesn't mean they would do or have done a better job in the circumstances we found ourselves in. I wouldn't have taken Morata, or an older and jus as injury-prone RVP. As for Aboubakar, haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement.

As for the Smalling 'joke'. That really was a statistical anomaly that football throws up every now and again. The fact you feel compelled to use it to back up your argument probably just show how weak it is. :wink:

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

I Hate Hleb wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:

Of course I would ideally want better but I also like what Welbeck brings to the team. So other teams have options you prefer doesn't mean they would do or have done a better job in the circumstances we found ourselves in. I wouldn't have taken Morata, or an older and jus as injury-prone RVP. As for Aboubakar, haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement.

As for the Smalling 'joke'. That really was a statistical anomaly that football throws up every now and again. The fact you feel compelled to use it to back up your argument probably just show how weak it is. :wink:
But hold on IHH. You're making my case for me: the fact that Welbeck, a striker, has been played everywhere but his natural position says....? :rubchin:

The Smalling stat isn't an anomaly. Like I said, if you go and check how many goals Welbz has scored at PL level, it's abysmal. Ulloa scored more league goals than any of our players bar Girouf - despite being dropped half the season, he's scored just 3 less goals than Giroud! :oops:

My point simply was, Welbz isn't Arsenal quality. Full stop. He was given a substantial run in the team when Giroud was injured - what did he do with it? :rubchin:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:
I Hate Hleb wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:

But hold on IHH. You're making my case for me: the fact that Welbeck, a striker, has been played everywhere but his natural position says....? :rubchin:
That he has played for clubs that have more than one decent option - unlike Berahino, Austin and Ulloa.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:
I Hate Hleb wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:

The Smalling stat isn't an anomaly. Like I said, if you go and check how many goals Welbz has scored at PL level, it's abysmal. :

Check how many goals he has scored when started solely as a striker and it certainly isn't abysmal. You also have to bear in mind that due to the style we play, it's more than just goals he can offer.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:
My point simply was, Welbz isn't Arsenal quality. Full stop. He was given a substantial run in the team when Giroud was injured - what did he do with it? :rubchin:
Fine. f you want to judge him just on the amount of goals he scored while being Giroud's replacement that is up to you. I think he offers the team something that the other forwards don't and think that he can make a good contribution to any push for honours we make - even if only as a squad player. I appreciate his work rate and am prepared to give him more time to prove he can also score the important goals for us that ultimately help us win trophies. His winner at Old Trafford was certainly a good starting point. :barscarf: 8) :wink:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:

I rate Austin, he ain't the quickest but he puts himself about, is not afraid to shoot and has always scored goals, people can be snotty about him because he's at QPR but if he was here he would score more than Giroud and Welbeck, he would be a good back up to a proper striker (not Giroud) because he's not beneath Giroud, Giroud would score less at QPR than Austin would here.

markyp

Post by markyp »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:
markyp wrote:Welbeck given a proper run as in 20 games up front with no pressure would start to score regularly,as regularly as Giroud im sure of that,people here expect strikers to come in for one or a handfull of games and start banging them in for fun from the off,Henry was a slow starter,what if hed not been French and Wenker had not given him a chance,he'd have been bombed within a few games.i think the best example is Sturridge,he was used as a bit part striker at both city and the chavs,lands at Liverpool with no pressure and a good run of games and BOOM,Welbeck would do the same,but yes do need a world class striker for sure as well
So, a £100k a week striker should be free to play "without pressure"? At a club that allegedly aspires to win the biggest prizes?
:shock:
its not his fault if Le Cock pays him £100k a week,same as the money wasted on Diaby,Podolski,Bendtner etc etc etc etc etc etc

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

It's not his fault but at the same time for 100K a week he needs to deliver a bit more than he has done, that may change but you can undertake the frustration, Podolski was the same, on big money and didn't take his opportunities as the centre forward when he got them, plenty say that's where he should play but many forget the games he played there and did shit.

He started there when he first signed and ended there at the end of one season and he wasn't great at it.

When players are on big money at this club they have to deliver and can't hide behind excuses.

augie

Post by augie »

markyp wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:
markyp wrote:Welbeck given a proper run as in 20 games up front with no pressure would start to score regularly,as regularly as Giroud im sure of that,people here expect strikers to come in for one or a handfull of games and start banging them in for fun from the off,Henry was a slow starter,what if hed not been French and Wenker had not given him a chance,he'd have been bombed within a few games.i think the best example is Sturridge,he was used as a bit part striker at both city and the chavs,lands at Liverpool with no pressure and a good run of games and BOOM,Welbeck would do the same,but yes do need a world class striker for sure as well
So, a £100k a week striker should be free to play "without pressure"? At a club that allegedly aspires to win the biggest prizes?
:shock:
its not his fault if Le Cock pays him £100k a week,same as the money wasted on Diaby,Podolski,Bendtner etc etc etc etc etc etc

Granted but your suggestion that he should be able to play without pressure at a club of our size, is foolish regardless of his wage pack - if you want to play for a big club and challenge for trophies, and if you want to be a regular international for your country, then you sure as hell better be able to handle the pressure that comes with that responsibility. Too many of our players have been allowed to get rich and play without pressure for far too long :evil: