ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BobbyPires7

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by BobbyPires7 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:10 am
Just had a text from an old friend now working in London Sports Media: Arsenal strongly looking at Peer Shuurs, also Arsenal have made inquiries about signing Toney (when his suspension is up), Toney has changed his agent who is understood to also represent some members of the Arsenal squad. ? :|
Are you shuurs about that?

Shteve McClaren is asking.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

To look at Kieran Tierney as surplus to requirements at the start of a long hard season is just insane.

We bought a FB in Timber. He's injured for the season and KT will go.
We're actually worse off than last year!!!

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Tomiyasu at left back. Joke. Also suspended. And injury prone. And not that good.

Tavares for sale. And crap.

What are we actually playing at?

augie

Post by augie »

Thynker wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:28 pm
To look at Kieran Tierney as surplus to requirements at the start of a long hard season is just insane.

We bought a FB in Timber. He's injured for the season and KT will go.
We're actually worse off than last year!!!

I cant get my head around his thinking with tierney - zinchenko cant defend for shit so is he planning on playing partey and zinchenko as full backs with neither of them holding their positions ? No-one here would dispute that Tierney has had injuries in his career but last season he was injury free and wasnt selected - can anyone make a justifiable argument that a fit tierney isnt a better left back than a fit tommy or a fit kiwor ?? Somehow that is the way el basque has gone this off season and I'm fcuked if I can understand it :?

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

Arteta is a liar.

After Timber’s injury, Takehiro Tomiyasu came off the bench and Arteta has revealed that he “hopes” Tierney was disappointed to be left out. However, he stated that the 26-year-old is still part of his plans.

The Spaniard added: “Well, he played the [Community Shield], no? So, a player that played five days before in the final is part of the plans, for sure.”

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Thynker wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:27 pm
Arteta is a liar.

After Timber’s injury, Takehiro Tomiyasu came off the bench and Arteta has revealed that he “hopes” Tierney was disappointed to be left out. However, he stated that the 26-year-old is still part of his plans.

The Spaniard added: “Well, he played the [Community Shield], no? So, a player that played five days before in the final is part of the plans, for sure.”
Not necessarily so.

Arteta's 'Plans' will most likely be based around what he can do with what players are (currently) part of the Arsenal squad that he believes is best for the club and part of that will be to move some players on, or see if they can indeed improve enough in their ability to play the systems he is putting in place, also to see if those who have been unavailable through being injured are an injury liability; and Tomi, Zinchenko and Tierney (maybe even Jesus) might be on that 'Watch list'.
So just as JF suggested on another thread today Tierney going out on loan may be a way to find out if he can play a full season without injury, adapt to new playing systems and then see where he is at at the end of his loan spell? Maybe he will come back into the fold or maybe he will indeed be sold?

In any of those scenarios he IS a part of what Arteta is planning. ie: Part of his plans both current and future.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

He's a Dutch CB plays for Torino in Italy, age 23 ,6ft3
So basically another Kiwior who is not deemed good enough for the first team yet......... :roll:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Thynker wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:27 pm
Arteta is a liar.

It’s not a good negotiation tactic when you’re trying to sell something to let it be known you want rid. No manager is gonna answer a question like that with - “part of my plans? nah fuck that I don’t want him round here ever again”. It would tank the players value.

And even at that the only offer we got was Real Sociedad on loan, with no obligation to buy. That says it all for me. Not a single premier league club has come in for him. Nice guy, honest, hardworking but massively injury prone, which is his biggest drawback, and let’s be honest here he’s a bit limited for the modern game. Bish bash bosh up the wing and smash a hopeful one into the box.

With him off the wage bill along with 3 or 4 more and I reckon we’ll go in for a left back before he he window closes.

Chill peeps, we got this.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I wonder if we'll try. to hijack Wet Spams agreement with Kudus at the last minute. They're bringing him to London for a medical, it would be gret if he jumps in a taxi like Petit did and head straight for the Arsenal!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

TeeCee wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:53 pm
I wonder if we'll try. to hijack Wet Spams agreement with Kudus at the last minute. They're bringing him to London for a medical, it would be gret if he jumps in a taxi like Petit did and head straight for the Arsenal!
Ajax are incredible at selling, their brand is second to none.

If Balogun was an Ajax player he’d be getting sold this summer for 70-80 million, I’ve no doubt about that. We’re just seen as a soft touch when it comes to selling players.

Years of mismanagement by the likes of the economist and snake Ivan which saw players leave on the cheap or even fuck all has seen us as a prime target for low ball bids.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Folarin Balogun to AS Monaco, here we go! Agreement completed with Arsenal on €40m package add-ons included 🔴⚪️🇺🇸 #ASMonaco

⭐️ Understand Arsenal will also retain significant sell-on clause for the future.

Medical tests expected this weekend.

Long term deal for Balogun.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:07 pm
TeeCee wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:53 pm
I wonder if we'll try. to hijack Wet Spams agreement with Kudus at the last minute. They're bringing him to London for a medical, it would be great if he jumps in a taxi like Petit did and head straight for the Arsenal!
Ajax are incredible at selling, their brand is second to none.

If Balogun was an Ajax player he’d be getting sold this summer for 70-80 million, I’ve no doubt about that. We’re just seen as a soft touch when it comes to selling players.

Years of mismanagement by the likes of the economist and snake Ivan which saw players leave on the cheap or even fuck all has seen us as a prime target for low ball bids.

Not if he wasnt playing first team for them he wouldnt - yes they get good money for their young academy players, but those young players are in their first team earlier than they would in any of the money rich premier league clubs.
You also will agree that it is hard to demand 50m for a player when he isnt getting game time ahead of a 20m-30m nketieh

The arguments being put up to defend el basque not giving tierney game time is straw man arguments imo and same applies to a degree here - how do we expect any player to hold value if they are not playing at all even when the first choice players in their positions are injured ? Do we think clubs stupid enough to ignore those players not making the matchday squads and believe legohead when he says that they are important players when all the evidence says otherwise ? I dont know of any other manager who would refuse to play a fit back up player when his first choice is injured on the basis that he might be selling or loaning that player - is moving that player out more important than getting the 3pts in a premier league game ? You use the best players at your disposal at the time to give your team the best shot of winning the game - you worry about moving players on after you get the win cos that as a manager has to be the priority, and no fan will congratulate you for moving on a valued player if picking a sub-standard player cost us a win

I dont dislike tommy like some fans do, but it is debatable if he is of the required standard in his proper position of right back, and you wont find anybody who will argue that he is of the required standard at left back and a better option than tierney. Legohead is playing with fire with his team selections at the mo and has been fortunate that we have played two shit teams so far (and Fulham arent great without mitrovic either).

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

If Balogun is seen to be surplus to requirement then £40 million is as good as it's going to get . Personally I believe when it gets tied and dried it will turn out to be an overestimate.
We are not good at selling or buying for that matter but there are a couple of reasons for not playing players if they are not fully committed one if they are up for sale the prospect of injury and second they may not be fully into the games and give their best.
I am not saying that this is the reason for Tierney because I am just as gutted as you and many others are . Losing him is a waste and probably after his loan for a lot less than he is worth.
Like Balogun if he is not wanted then we need to get as much as possible instead of loaning him for his value to go down as his contract runs out . Once more our negotiation skills are not the best.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Balogun’s crap. Anyone with half a brain can see that.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

What I meant Augie was that if Balogun was an Ajax player from day one and scored 21 league goals for them last season in the shite Dutch league (as he did in France) he’d be on the move this summer for 80 odd million (see Antony for reference).

Away to Palace will be a tough fixture for every team in the league so I think you’re being unfair by dismissing our start as beating 2 shit teams. That was a great win (not performance) the other night.

You were convinced the head choppers or Don Unai would come in for Tierney, it’s hasn’t happened, you got to ask yourself why? Eddie Howe would rather gamble on a chav academy left back and word is Villa are in for Travares instead.

Timber was outstanding in the charity shield, he got subbed off for Tierney and within 5 minutes we’d conceded with Tierney at fault and he went on to have an awful last 20 minutes.

He’s injury prone and just not that good I’m afraid, which is why he’s off to some Spanish pubbers on loan for the year. His stock is way to high with some on here.