ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Thynker

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Thynker »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:50 pm
Thynker wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:27 pm
Arteta is a liar.

After Timber’s injury, Takehiro Tomiyasu came off the bench and Arteta has revealed that he “hopes” Tierney was disappointed to be left out. However, he stated that the 26-year-old is still part of his plans.

The Spaniard added: “Well, he played the [Community Shield], no? So, a player that played five days before in the final is part of the plans, for sure.”
It’s not a good negotiation tactic when you’re trying to sell something to let it be known you want rid. No manager is gonna answer a question like that with - “part of my plans? nah fuck that I don’t want him round here ever again”. It would tank the players value.

And even at that the only offer we got was Real Sociedad on loan, with no obligation to buy. That says it all for me. Not a single premier league club has come in for him. Nice guy, honest, hardworking but massively injury prone, which is his biggest drawback, and let’s be honest here he’s a bit limited for the modern game. Bish bash bosh up the wing and smash a hopeful one into the box.

With him off the wage bill along with 3 or 4 more and I reckon we’ll go in for a left back before he he window closes.

Chill peeps, we got this.
We already have a LB and we're getting rid.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:58 pm
Balogun’s crap. Anyone with half a brain can see that.
Absolutely nothing special about him. Scored a load of penalties in France and still got outscored by Lacazette who we'd just got shot of.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I've said it from the end of last season after seeing all his goals for Reims. He's totally unconvincing, definitely not at Eddies standard even. The club know this and that's why they have pulled off a great deal with Monaco. For once we have done a good deal!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Hadn't seen him play since he had a few (very un-convincing) games for us the season before last. The warning lights went on for me when the Yanks started claiming he was the new "Saviour" of their international team.

I then saw a brief interview with him when Arsenal were on their USA Pre-season Tour and he came across as being Very Arrogant; I know Footballers Have To Be Confident in their own abilities and many can be a bit full of themselves but Balgun came across as Very Arrogant; not that that means anything.

Also, unless he suddenly became a Miracle Worker, there is no way he was going to get game time ahead of Eddie the Feather. So best we cash in on him. I guess Time Will Tell.

augie

Post by augie »

TeeCee wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:54 am
I've said it from the end of last season after seeing all his goals for Reims. He's totally unconvincing, definitely not at Eddies standard even. The club know this and that's why they have pulled off a great deal with Monaco. For once we have done a good deal!

Hands up I have seen fcuk all of the kid and nowhere near enough to form an opinion on how good or bad he is - I seen yesterday in the media that edu was being lauded for getting £40m for him, but last nights reports suggest that we are getting a maximum of €40m inc add ons for him, and there is a huge difference. We probably got market value for the kid and no more than that, but seeing as he has no future with us, I think it is a good deal all around and I wish the kid a good career for the future

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Thynker wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:31 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Absolutely nothing special about him. Scored a load of penalties in France and still got outscored by Lacazette who we'd just got shot of.
When at Middlesborough on loan he did very little there either.

3 goals with 3 assists in 21 matches - I just looked it up

Could just be he was better than the rest as a youngster but never progresses and other surpass him.

£38m with a decent sell on clause and additions for appearances and goals ain’t too shabby.
Last edited by Stuart L (2) on Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:34 am
Hadn't seen him play since he had a few (very un-convincing) games for us the season before last. The warning lights went on for me when the Yanks started claiming he was the new "Saviour" of their international team.

I then saw a brief interview with him when Arsenal were on their USA Pre-season Tour and he came across as being Very Arrogant; I know Footballers Have To Be Confident in their own abilities and many can be a bit full of themselves but Balgun came across as Very Arrogant; not that that means anything.

Also, unless he suddenly became a Miracle Worker, there is no way he was going to get game time ahead of Eddie the Feather. So best we cash in on him. I guess Time Will Tell.
Yeah, wasn’t he dressed as Captain America or something ( may have been photoshopped though 😅🤣)
I can understand he wants to play, to cement his new found international status.

Hey ho, good luck.

augie

Post by augie »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:27 am
Thynker wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:

Could just be he was better than the rest as a youngster but never progresses and other surpass him.

£38m with a decent sell on clause and additions for appearances and goals ain’t too shabby.

That is where the confusion is coming from - early reports all had the figure in sterling pounds, but last night it suggested that the correct figure was €40m EUROS including add ons, and there is a big difference there. Like I said earlier, I reckon €40m is a fair price so I'm not suggesting that we getting screwed on the deal, but for some (not you) to report that the figure is sterling pounds is sneaky and deliberate ploy to put a false slant on it imo

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

augie wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:31 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:27 am
Thynker wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:

That is where the confusion is coming from - early reports all had the figure in sterling pounds, but last night it suggested that the correct figure was €40m EUROS including add ons, and there is a big difference there. Like I said earlier, I reckon €40m is a fair price so I'm not suggesting that we getting screwed on the deal, but for some (not you) to report that the figure is sterling pounds is sneaky and deliberate ploy to put a false slant on it imo
Press do it all the time, but I agree the euro figure and sterling can be misquoted either intentionally or by accident.

Pepe’s transfer is largely quoted at £72m but we won’t pay anywhere near that as a lot was in appearance / bonus payments that will never get reached,

augie

Post by augie »

You hope :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

We already have a LB and we're getting rid.

Yes a left back that doesn't play the way Arteta wants. When he first arrived he overlapped with pace and put in many crosses . This is not what Arteta wants . He doesn't play a central figure to aim for. In fact his favourite player ( Jesus ) spends more time in midfield than he does in the box. Towards his last series of games he , Tierney , was being told to not cross and reach the halfway line and pass inside.
Personally I rate Tierney because he fits the pattern of play that I prefer but I am not the manager and I don't pick the style and the players to carry it out .
We can't criticise Arteta for not playing Tierney without criticising the style of play that we are using.
If Tierney doesn't fit then it's better that he goes and gets to play out his career in a system that does suit him.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

The most important function of a left-back is to defend, not attack.

We have a weakness at left-back which every manager towards the end of last year could see and many looked (sometimes successfully) to exploit.

Arteta talks about 2 players for every position - who are our two left backs?

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:05 pm
What I meant Augie was that if Balogun was an Ajax player from day one and scored 21 league goals for them last season in the shite Dutch league (as he did in France) he’d be on the move this summer for 80 odd million (see Antony for reference).
Man Utd just recently bought Rasmus Hojlund for £72m/€80m and he only scored 9 goals last year.

The Balogun would be beneficial, in comparison, if we have a good sell-on fee.

I’ll be honest, I was hoping he’d be competition for Nketiah a couple of years ago, but doesn’t seem like there’s anything there.

He comes across extremely arrogant too.

Midz

Post by Midz »

please can we make it a rule that we never ever buy anyone from Chelsea again.

I don't care if they want to sell us Mbappe, just don't buy any more of their casts offs as they're all fucking shite!!

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Arteta talks about 2 players for every position - who are our two left backs?
Zinchenko and David Raya 8)