WALCOTT - which position is best etc?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Ray C

Re: WALCOTT - which position is best etc?

Post by Ray C »

I have never posted on here because of my dislike of the fact that he continues to get paid a fortune for doing fuck all week in week out. He is so limited in all of the basic qualities needed to be a top player, How he is ever picked for England puzzles me. He was fast (without the ball at his feet), many years ago. But now lacks passion & hunger for the ball, running around like a headless chook. His feet do however work faster than his minute football brain. I think I have made my point - I don't rate him as an Arsenal player but would love to see him play for any of our opponents !. :barscarf: :barscarf:

donaldo71

Post by donaldo71 »

His only asset is pace.His all-round game hasn't developed.He has been at the club for 10 years FFS.What did he actually do to earn his last £7m a year contract?He's agent is a fucking genius or we have a manager who hands out mega contracts to average players.He has now been overtaken by Campbell on form.When Sanchez returns there is no way he can start

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

donaldo71 wrote:His only asset is pace.His all-round game hasn't developed.He has been at the club for 10 years FFS.What did he actually do to earn his last £7m a year contract?He's agent is a fucking genius or we have a manager who hands out mega contracts to average players.He has now been overtaken by Campbell on form.When Sanchez returns there is no way he can start
Wow. When you put it like that... 10 years. :| Surely even the most ardent Theo fan can't still try and sell the "potential" argument. You are bang on Don, his game hasn't developed. I knew he was on a wedge but is he really on £7m a year? That's outrageous. :shock:

enjibenji

Post by enjibenji »

His attitude to being replaced on Sunday was fucking terrible, no one is irreplaceable Theo. Honestly hate to say this but he is getting to be one of the most frustrating players in years gone past, his inability to make decisions and beat the first man is why he will never ever be a top class striker. If anyone comes calling in the summer for him, I wouldn't lost any sleep if we sell him.

Post by 1989 »

When Walcott loses his pace he'll be a League 1 player.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Walcott is better than Ox, but that's not saying much. Pace, decent finisher (sometimes), but not much else. Can't hold the ball up. Passing is mediocre, non-existent dribbling skills other than push the ball past the defender and run past them. He is okay defensively when he wants to be, which is like 50% of the time.

Watch him vs Alexis and the difference is clear. Even him vs Campbell at the moment. Joel passes and creates MUCH better, is a MUCH harder worker defensively and his finishing is probably about equal. Walcott should not be starting when everyone is healthy, and for someone making his wages that = bad.

Henry is a Gooner

Post by Henry is a Gooner »

1989 wrote:When Walcott loses his pace he'll be a League 1 player.
Next season then with any luck, the most over-rated player in the Premier league

Post by 1989 »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:Walcott is better than Ox, but that's not saying much. Pace, decent finisher (sometimes), but not much else. Can't hold the ball up. Passing is mediocre, non-existent dribbling skills other than push the ball past the defender and run past them. He is okay defensively when he wants to be, which is like 50% of the time.

Watch him vs Alexis and the difference is clear. Even him vs Campbell at the moment. Joel passes and creates MUCH better, is a MUCH harder worker defensively and his finishing is probably about equal. Walcott should not be starting when everyone is healthy, and for someone making his wages that = bad.
Him being better than Ox isn't saying much though is it? They're both mediocre footballers.

We need to stop signing players from Southampton.

augie

Post by augie »

Cannot agree that he is better than the ox unless you are talking purely about current form - wally doesnt "push" the ball past the defender.........he kicks and runs after it like some demented forest gump type of player :roll: The ox, when he came to us first, could dribble past players, could pass the ball better, had a good shot on him and was good in the tackle - now after years of training under le cock, it seems that he can do none of these things and his confidence is totally shot :(
However if you put both players under the care of a proper manager and training set up, then I would bet my life that the ox would be a far better player and MAYBE the player we all thought he was when we signed him first (I say maybe because if he stays under wenker's "coaching" for much longer I fear he will be gone to far to "fix" his game)

Wally just pisses me off so much - it's bad enough turning in constantly average performances, but when we have to listen/read him talking the height of bullshit like he is some sort of superstar, then that totally winds me up :evil: I fear we have lost the chance of selling him for big money but I would sell him regardless

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:Cannot agree that he is better than the ox unless you are talking purely about current form - wally doesnt "push" the ball past the defender.........he kicks and runs after it like some demented forest gump type of player :roll: The ox, when he came to us first, could dribble past players, could pass the ball better, had a good shot on him and was good in the tackle - now after years of training under le cock, it seems that he can do none of these things and his confidence is totally shot :(
However if you put both players under the care of a proper manager and training set up, then I would bet my life that the ox would be a far better player and MAYBE the player we all thought he was when we signed him first (I say maybe because if he stays under wenker's "coaching" for much longer I fear he will be gone to far to "fix" his game)

Wally just pisses me off so much - it's bad enough turning in constantly average performances, but when we have to listen/read him talking the height of bullshit like he is some sort of superstar, then that totally winds me up :evil: I fear we have lost the chance of selling him for big money but I would sell him regardless
I would agree with most of that and add the fact they are English players. Look at the last 5 years of young English players in the premier league, they make it to the first team at their club at 18-20, have a good season,get an England cap or two, move to a big club, get a big contract think they have made it, stop developing and get benched. Its not just the Arsenal English its an epidemic running through the whole premier league. To improve the young English players either ship them overseas or cap their wages until they actually achieve something.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:Cannot agree that he is better than the ox unless you are talking purely about current form - wally doesnt "push" the ball past the defender.........he kicks and runs after it like some demented forest gump type of player :roll: The ox, when he came to us first, could dribble past players, could pass the ball better, had a good shot on him and was good in the tackle - now after years of training under le cock, it seems that he can do none of these things and his confidence is totally shot :(

I would agree with most of that and add the fact they are English players. Look at the last 5 years of young English players in the premier league, they make it to the first team at their club at 18-20, have a good season,get an England cap or two, move to a big club, get a big contract think they have made it, stop developing and get benched. Its not just the Arsenal English its an epidemic running through the whole premier league. To improve the young English players either ship them overseas or cap their wages until they actually achieve something.
THIS ^. There is no better way to demotivate an 18-20 year old than to make him a millionaire over night. :|

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Ten years to the day today that he waltzed through the door at AFC. Might as well give him a testimonial, the club must be running out of excuses to chuck money at him.

I wonder if the hype around his career and ability would have been anywhere near as ridiculous if Sven hadn't made that unfathomable choice to pick him for the World Cup.

Sean

Post by Sean »

I wonder what charity the testimonial proceeds will go to? :D

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

enjibenji wrote:His attitude to being replaced on Sunday was terrible,
He looked not happy at being subbed.
Which is what a player should feel.
Shows he wants to play for us.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »