Mesut Ozil

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Should we sell Ozil?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 80

augie

Re: Mesut Ozil

Post by augie »

Good to see ozil's form being recognised back in Germany 8)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... orld-class

We all know that there are a few occasions where he goes missing, but to use that as a reason to exclude him from world class options, seems a bit mad :shock:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:Good to see ozil's form being recognised back in Germany 8)

We all know that there are a few occasions where he goes missing, but to use that as a reason to exclude him from world class options, seems a bit mad :shock:
Agreed. Bergkamp used to go missing at times. Henry (to a lesser extent admittedly) used to go missing at times. The absolute top top players very seldom are the type that put in a rip roaring 90 minutes of flat out football. They don't need to. They pick their moments. They do the things that decide games. The great thing about our 98/02/04 teams was that we had a mix of top flair players like Henry & Bergkamp and skillful workers like Parlour, Vieira, Petit etc. And I agree that you would call Vieira an absolute top player but for this discussion I'm concentrating on his incredible work rate.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Henry (to a lesser extent admittedly) used to go missing at times.
The 2006 Champions League final being a notable addition .

(Did that sound bitter? :lol: )

augie

Post by augie »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

You only mentioned one final ?? :shock: :wink: :lol:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

:oops: :lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Yep. :D And rightly so. I'm still fucking bitter about his "performance" that night in Paris. :( :|

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Oooohhh - I can almost hear the Henry worshippers losing their shit. :lol: :wink:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Agreed. Bergkamp used to go missing at times. Henry (to a lesser extent admittedly) used to go missing at times. The absolute top top players very seldom are the type that put in a rip roaring 90 minutes of flat out football. They don't need to. They pick their moments. They do the things that decide games. The great thing about our 98/02/04 teams was that we had a mix of top flair players like Henry & Bergkamp and skillful workers like Parlour, Vieira, Petit etc. And I agree that you would call Vieira an absolute top player but for this discussion I'm concentrating on his incredible work rate.
Players like that are always going to - it was also a criticism levied at Pires. But as you say these are the players that will win you games.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Oooohhh - I can almost hear the Henry worshippers losing their shit.
:lol: :wink:
You called? :lol:

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

spid

Post by spid »

I have never seen anyone play like Mesut Ozil, so its impossible to compare him to anyone.

He is anonymous in every game for long periods.

In the course of a game he watches the plebs go through the motions. THEN ITS ON.

Space. A runner. A pass. More often than not, a miss. Thats because he is playing with Theo and OG and not Luis Suarez.

Watch, and see when in possession how few times he touches the ball. (as opposed to AR who needs lots of turns an touches).

I think he is a f***ing genius.

essem

Post by essem »

Reminds me of zidane

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Massive fan of this guy, always have been

Of course he can be limited in his performance like at Southampton, when he was constantly dealt heavy treatment on every possible occasion mostly by Wanyama, some of which could have been free kicks but not given

That said his quality and range of passing is sublime, for which i for one really appreciate

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

It isn't Ozil's fault if he is being played out of position - Now whwee have we heard that before when it comes to Wenger and his prociivaty to try and fit square pegs in round holes and vice versa....

Ozil is a Rolls Royce player - yes a luxury player But he skills wise is the best player we have - Again it isn't his fault that most of the team are not up to his level - In R.Madrid they were - Sad but True - I agree he does shy out of some challenges etc - But he has improved on that aspect of his game hugely this season....I remember it was his mid-field challenge - when tackling back that enabled us to score the first goal in the FA Cup Final...

Some players are just not wired and/or able to cope with the rough stuff....But his other assests and abilities far outweigh the other...

No doubt the orcs will try and put him off his game with their six fingered two footed approach - But he isn't that easy todominate as he used to be - He does have some grit in his game....

So "No" We should not sell him.

edit: Did anyone else see the take/touch on that ball he took ( a long 40/50 yard pass) in the last 10 minutes of the game against the victimshyte - Can't remember who put the pass down to him on the left flank - may have been Monreal - he took it down on the outside of his foot and was away - only to be surrounded by 5 scousers and no one to lay it off to...His touch and passing skills are the best in the prem.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

If you don't appreciate Ozil then you deserve Gervinho.