Can we do it? Will we do it?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Can we do it? Will we do it?

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

We are not top after 19 games, it's 21 by the way and there are 17 games to go not 19, just saying :wink:

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

......and after tomorrow we'll hopefully be saying top with 16 to go!!

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

City are looking ominously good, we are top but that is largely thanks to City's wobble away from home at the start of the season which seems to be over now. I think we can win it but we're probably going to have to find another level and get something in the City and Chav games.

Wengerism

Post by Wengerism »

topgoon wrote:Can we do it ?-With the current squad NO

Will we do it ?-With no addition of a covering decent CB and 15-20 a season striker, a big fat Hell No
Giroud has 9 in 19 - so we have a pro-rata 18 goal a season striker

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Can we ? well yes, we can seeing as we are leading the pack at this stage.

Will we ? I seriously doubt it, as City and Chelsea have better squads than us, but if someone hits a purple patch - akin to Pires and then Ljunberg in 2002 it might just be possible.

It would need Giroud or maybe Ramsey to get back to their early season form when they were just flying or maybe Ozil or Santi to step up big time

You bastards you've now got my hopes up..... :banghead: :banghead:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

LDB wrote:City are looking ominously good, we are top but that is largely thanks to City's wobble away from home at the start of the season which seems to be over now. I think we can win it but we're probably going to have to find another level and get something in the City and Chav games.
The thing that makes Citeh's current form even more worrying is their home record over the last 3 seasons. Currently reads P48 W42 D4 L2, which is astounding considering their form was patchy to say the least for most of last season and the first third of this one - even when they're not playing brilliantly they win at home. Given that their only remotely challenging game left at home is Chelsea, there's no way they're dropping more than 3-5 points at home for the rest of the season and from here I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them complete a 100% record there.

Of course the flipside of that is that they have a lot of difficult away trips - Spurs, United, us, Mousers, Everton. I guess even if they're winning at home if they start dropping points in those big away games the pressure could start getting to them. Still, 25 points from their last 27 and they're winning most games with plenty of room to spare.

I don't really factor Chelsea into it. If we somehow managed to finish above Citeh it won't be in second place. In any event I don't for a second believe we will or even realistically can win the league from here.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

northbank123 wrote:
LDB wrote:City are looking ominously good, we are top but that is largely thanks to City's wobble away from home at the start of the season which seems to be over now. I think we can win it but we're probably going to have to find another level and get something in the City and Chav games.
The thing that makes Citeh's current form even more worrying is their home record over the last 3 seasons. Currently reads P48 W42 D4 L2, which is astounding considering their form was patchy to say the least for most of last season and the first third of this one - even when they're not playing brilliantly they win at home. Given that their only remotely challenging game left at home is Chelsea, there's no way they're dropping more than 3-5 points at home for the rest of the season and from here I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them complete a 100% record there.

Of course the flipside of that is that they have a lot of difficult away trips - Spurs, United, us, Mousers, Everton. I guess even if they're winning at home if they start dropping points in those big away games the pressure could start getting to them. Still, 25 points from their last 27 and they're winning most games with plenty of room to spare.

I don't really factor Chelsea into it. If we somehow managed to finish above Citeh it won't be in second place. In any event I don't for a second believe we will or even realistically can win the league from here.
So, to summarise - No, we won't win it, City will.

:lol: :wink:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

arseofacrow wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

So, to summarise - No, we won't win it, City will.

:lol: :wink:
At least I can't be accused of "blind" pessimism :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Will we do it? Bloody right we will.

I'll be celebrating the only trophy that matters at Carrow Road in May

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Eboue-Why? wrote:......and after tomorrow we'll hopefully be saying top with 16 to go!!
Another one chalked off!!!

bunch

Post by bunch »

At the moment (20 Jan) us, City and Chelsea have it in our hands. Win all the remaining games and you win the league.

I think this team has kicked the habit of dropping stupid points to lesser teams. But City and Chelsea seem to have stopped dropping them too. We still have challenges at Goodison, Anfield and the shithole in addition to our games against City and Chelsea.

But many people are not backing us to do it becasue in a head to head they see City certainly, and Chelsea possibly, as stronger. The league is good that it may well come down to the head to head results but there is nervousness becasue we haven't boon too good in recent past against the big teams.

We will know by the end of March I think.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

The interesting thing is that City aned Chelsea also have to play the other teams. Chelsea have to go to the Etihad and Anfield, Man City have to go to Old Trafford and us as well as the shihole. We're all playing those teams around the same sort of period.

Can we win it. Yes of course we can. Anyone who says no need to look at what CAN means. Will we? Not at the moment with the lack of striker cover. IF Wenger gets in a decent striker then yes. One thing we are this year incredibly consistant. Someone said we were lucky? You make your own luck. And if you call being top ahead of two financial powerhouses lucky then I'm not sure you'll ever be happy.

Certainly the team deserves all the credit in the world for its position in the league. We've got a chance. We got out of that sticky period still top and we've only lost to ONE of our title rivals (don't count United at all)

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

Man City next 2 league Games are Tottenham away and Chelsea at home. They also play United away between the two legs against Barca.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

we will probably need 90+ points to win it which will be very tough (almost impossible if you consider we still seem to be unable to beat Chelsea, City, United)

it is shaping up to be almost a replica of 2007/08 where we will lead going into March and then a winless run of games which will see us down to 3rd/4th and then a late run of wins by which time the title will have already been lost

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

it is shaping up to be almost a replica of 2007/08 where we will lead going into March and then a winless run of games which will see us down to 3rd/4th and then a late run of wins by which time the title will have already been lost
I hate comments like that. It has absolutely nothing to do with this season. You could say it is shaping up to be like the 03/04 season when we won it, given we ar eone point behind the Invincible side. Just look at this season, not previous ones.