Sporting H Thurs Mar 16th 2023 KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gazzatt2

Re: Sporting A ThursMar 9th 2023 KO 17:45.

Post by gazzatt2 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:27 am
rodders999 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:32 am
I’ve really wanted to win this trophy since we first dropped into the competition, to get a European trophy under our belts and cross this one off the list.

Looking back I think we fucked our best chance in our first season when Atletico were down to 10 men for most of the home semi final, we should have buried them that night but missed loads of chances and allowed them a lifeline at the end.

We no showed the final against the chavs, I’m not sure what happened in the build up that week but all was not right in the camp.

But after the chaos of yesterday my attitude to this competition has completely changed. The squad looks like it’s really stretched again, ESR is miles off being match fit and will take time get back up to speed (as will Jesus when he returns).

If Trossard has done his groin it’s another massive blow, we need Eddie to come back in and go on a run of scoring like he did at the turn of the year but seemingly his ankle is fucked now too. We’re starting to look light again so I’d go full blown Stiffs R Us in this one and have 2 separate teams - a European 11 and the league team.

I think we should have enough to get past sporting with a second string anyway, although who we’d play up front is anyone’s guess.

Turner, Tomi, Holding, Kiwor, Tierney, ESR, Vieira, Jorgihno, Xhaka, Nelson, ?

I'm assuming that's after Easter. :lol:
that's nailed on :D

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

rodders999 wrote:
I’ve really wanted to win this trophy since we first dropped into the competition, to get a European trophy under our belts and cross this one off the list.

Looking back I think we fucked our best chance in our first season when Atletico were down to 10 men for most of the home semi final, we should have buried them that night but missed loads of chances and allowed them a lifeline at the end.

We no showed the final against the chavs, I’m not sure what happened in the build up that week but all was not right in the camp.

But after the chaos of yesterday my attitude to this competition has completely changed. The squad looks like it’s really stretched again, ESR is miles off being match fit and will take time get back up to speed (as will Jesus when he returns).

If Trossard has done his groin it’s another massive blow, we need Eddie to come back in and go on a run of scoring like he did at the turn of the year but seemingly his ankle is fucked now too. We’re starting to look light again so I’d go full blown Stiffs R Us in this one and have 2 separate teams - a European 11 and the league team.

I think we should have enough to get past sporting with a second string anyway, although who we’d play up front is anyone’s guess.

I'm with you Rodders in the sense I would love to get the euro monkey off our backs,it always got on my tits being in the champs lge just to get todgered in the last 16 every year :cry: and it's been a breath of fresh air being in a cup we have a chance of winning.Weve been in a final and 2 semis since we dropped down and I would hope for the same again(but not at the expense of our League campaign) Weve got Fulham next week and they'll have 6days rest to our 3 so squad rotation is crucial here.

Midz

Post by Midz »

I'm with you guys in that I'd like to win this cup but the PL is the one I want most.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Midz wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:57 am
I'm with you guys in that I'd like to win this cup but the PL is the one I want most.
Yeah, at the start of the season I would have put this as a priority, for 2 reasons

A European Trophy 🏆 where we are badly lacking for a club of our pedigree and
B Champions League qualification

Now we are entering the run in, with injuries, I would sacrifice this to concentrate on the last 12 games so to attempt to win both with our squad would be pushing it and I remember 1980, where we lost 2 cup finals in the space of 4 days to West Ham and Valencia as we just run out of steam after a gargantuan season.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Struggling to care about this TBH, absolutely laser focused on the league. I don't think we have the squad to go balls to the wall on both fronts. I would really hate to see this competition cost us the league as the deeper you go the harder it becomes. Not gonna win this with Pubbers and a lot of our squad are Pubbers. I wouldn't care if we went out of this , what's the point of a costly deep run and then still not win it?? We'll be in the CL next year anyway, hopefully with a much more reinforced squad. Make a decent fist of that.........As league champions :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Couldn't care less about this now, give the stiffs and a couple of u-21's a run out, we cannot throw the league for this shit competition!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:44 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:27 am
rodders999 wrote:

I'm assuming that's after Easter. :lol:
that's nailed on :D
:lol:

You might cross the line with comments like that! :D

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I'm flying out there for this one! Fearing we will now rest the entire team but I'll probably be too pissed by kick off to notice.

Lets just make sure we're in with a decent shout for the 2nd leg. I know there is sentiment building to toss this in the bin and focus purely on PL, but we aren't prolific enough in Europe to do that. 29 years is a long long wait for a European trophy - lets give it our best shot

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:42 pm
I'm flying out there for this one! Fearing we will now rest the entire team but I'll probably be too pissed by kick off to notice.

Lets just make sure we're in with a decent shout for the 2nd leg. I know there is sentiment building to toss this in the bin and focus purely on PL, but we aren't prolific enough in Europe to do that. 29 years is a long long wait for a European trophy - lets give it our best shot
I get where you're coming from SteveO, but 18 years waiting for the Prem Title Feels even longer.

I hope & pray we can win both, but if I had to choose which one to Win, it would be the Prem Title All Day Long.

ps: Have a safe flight & Journey etc.

wibble

Post by wibble »

SteveO 35 wrote:

Don’t suppose you can play centre forward?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Initial assessment of Leandro Trossard's groin injury is positive.

Likely to miss Sporting, but hope is not a serious problem.

More assessment today to learn full extent of issue.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:12 pm
Initial assessment of Leandro Trossard's groin injury is positive.

Likely to miss Sporting, but hope is not a serious problem.

More assessment today to learn full extent of issue.
Good news :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

wibble wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:50 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

I'll give it a go mate. Yaya Sanogo once did an impression of a "super quality" centre forward, as did Chamakh and Park......so you never know. Keep watching!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:42 pm
wibble wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:50 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

I'll give it a go mate. Yaya Sanogo once did an impression of a "super quality" centre forward, as did Chamakh and Park......so you never know. Keep watching!
Don't forget to take your Boots!

Also The Great Sanogo has a Cup Winners medal! one more than Fat Tongue! :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:38 pm
Struggling to care about this TBH, absolutely laser focused on the league. I don't think we have the squad to go balls to the wall on both fronts. I would really hate to see this competition cost us the league as the deeper you go the harder it becomes. Not gonna win this with Pubbers and a lot of our squad are Pubbers. I wouldn't care if we went out of this , what's the point of a costly deep run and then still not win it?? We'll be in the CL next year anyway, hopefully with a much more reinforced squad. Make a decent fist of that.........As league champions :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Totally agree.

I’ve been invested in this competition in recent years and really wanted us to win it - this season I think a brave exit here would be great for us. I think one reason we have kept going with the league challenge so well is our early exits in the domestic cups.

I’ve got a feeling we will probably cruise through to the semis though and then it will be more of a dilemma, because at that point you will want them to go on and win the cup…