VILLA FA CUP GAME THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote: don't know why your acting so offended mate, in fact I'm not sure why saying the people that still blindly back wenger are sheep is pretty much agreed as fact on here until I say it :?
I didn't salg of all 52,000 (more like 39,000) of the supporters, but only about 10,000 would let a poor arsenal result upset their week like me, and I'd be surprised if any of them save up for weeks to get to the odd game either. I won't waste that money punishing myself in that fucking corporate hellhole while I can be with likeminded people at an away ground where we can act like we're at a football match not on a school field trip.

We already know our home support is shite, the boring mongs that pack that place out every couple of weeks deserve stick as far as I'm concerned. I hate going into that desperately sad bowl, having to put up with weird looks every time I even utter an expletive. If any of them bothered supporting the team like the away supporters did I would probalby hold back but there we go.

Going to a match doesn't give you any right to act like a sanctimonious c**t if you don't give a fuck. no accusing you two of either, obviously something I've said has been lost in translation though obviously, I'm pretty sure me taking a stab at wenger didn't cause any offence. :?
I just think the way you said it made it sound like you were accusing everyone in the bowl of being "clueless sheep" when there are quite a few of us that do support our team vocally, and are able to think for ourselves with regard to the state of the club....

...Now I see what you were trying to say, I wholeheartedly agree. Was just a question of misinterpretation.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
SWLGooner wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
MK Gould wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:I'm delighted & relieved at the same time but what the victory will say to the AKB's and clueless sheep at the bowl is "wenger turned that around" when in actual fact he was more responsible for us going 2-0 down
You never know. Maybe some of those supporting Arsenal at the Grove today are just as unhappy as you....but just more loyal gooners than you are!
oh dear. thought you knew better mate.
Got to agree with MKG here, you shouldn't be cunting off people who go if you don't, if you meant those who are brainless sheep (they do exist as we all know) then you are bang on the money... but if you meant the 52,000 Arsenal there today then it's a load of crap... Think you just meant the idiots though? :?
sometimes I think I live on a completely different planet to everyone else :shock: don't know why your acting so offended mate, in fact I'm not sure why saying the people that still blindly back wenger are sheep is pretty much agreed as fact on here until I say it :?
I didn't salg of all 52,000 (more like 39,000) of the supporters, but only about 10,000 would let a poor arsenal result upset their week like me, and I'd be surprised if any of them save up for weeks to get to the odd game either. I won't waste that money punishing myself in that fucking corporate hellhole while I can be with likeminded people at an away ground where we can act like we're at a football match not on a school field trip.

We already know our home support is shite, the boring mongs that pack that place out every couple of weeks deserve stick as far as I'm concerned. I hate going into that desperately sad bowl, having to put up with weird looks every time I even utter an expletive. If any of them bothered supporting the team like the away supporters did I would probalby hold back but there we go.

Going to a match doesn't give you any right to act like a sanctimonious c**t if you don't give a fuck. no accusing you two of either, obviously something I've said has been lost in translation though obviously, I'm pretty sure me taking a stab at wenger didn't cause any offence. :?
The first thing I ask people when they start spouting off about their club is "do you go"? For me, that is the principle guide as to whether or not you have a right to be a "sanctimonious c**t"...... I've met many supposed gooners who have hardly been near Highbury let alone the Grove. But in my mind they are the lesser for it.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Guys, I can't believe any of you would want us not to win. You're all Arsenal supporters first and foremost regardless of opinions on the manager

I am delighted that we are through. You know I want Wenger gone as much as anyone, but I was still delighted we got through. I was dreading a chorus of "There's Only One Arsene Wenger" when it got to 3-2 but thankfully there was none of it, so even more of a win-win

This hasn't got Wenger off the hook - he was never really on the hook to start with in my view. This season was always going to be argued away by the club as a "special circumstances" season after the goings on in the Summer. The Chairman has already as good as made it known that missing out on next year's year CL isn't a major issue, so losing an FA Cup game would hardly have triggered the Self Harmer's departure

Even if you do think he was on the hook then this wouldn't have got him off it. I have been saying since before Leeds that the 5th round was the one where he will come under scrutiny. We have big PL games including the Spuds at that time and will be back in CL action too. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a tame surrender with a weakened team in the North East next month, and then we're back where we started - trophyless and without a prayer of the top 4.

If RVP gets injured we all know that we're fucked anyway. Nothing changed today. Lets just enjoy the fact we won. Wenger is still clueless and as stubborn as ever, and is still sleepwalking towards oblivion this season and for the two that follow

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:Rosicky is easily our best option as attacking midfield. He actually goes forward and creates. Cant shoot or score but at least works hard and creates. Starting midfield should be Rosicky, Arteta, and either Song or Ramsey.
Rosicky has played well in our last two, but i think he is playing for a new contract, get new 2 year deal and £60k a week and he will slip back in to comfort mode

zero 6

Post by zero 6 »

Dan_85 wrote:
nexum5me wrote:
1989 wrote:I heard Henry did the team talk at half time. :twisted:
it's the only possible explanation :D

i have to say.. maybe it's time for mr rice to step down and mr henry to become number 2? he'll imediately have the players' respect, he certainly has the passion, and he can thoroughly involve himself in the training because he's still got the ability to show what he means, as well as explaining it
Have to say I do like the way Henry has been giving pointers, advice & encouragement from the sidelines when warming up...

It's a Wenger masterstroke, get Henry to warm up for 43 mins whilst passing on instructions as he can't step out of the technical area...brilliant :bowing21:

RocastleRock

Post by RocastleRock »

zero 6 wrote:
Dan_85 wrote:
nexum5me wrote:
1989 wrote:I heard Henry did the team talk at half time. :twisted:
it's the only possible explanation :D

i have to say.. maybe it's time for mr rice to step down and mr henry to become number 2? he'll imediately have the players' respect, he certainly has the passion, and he can thoroughly involve himself in the training because he's still got the ability to show what he means, as well as explaining it
Have to say I do like the way Henry has been giving pointers, advice & encouragement from the sidelines when warming up...

It's a Wenger masterstroke, get Henry to warm up for 43 mins whilst passing on instructions as he can't step out of the technical area...brilliant :bowing21:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I must say the decision to weaken further our already threadbare defence by playing flappy was another Wenger masterstroke.
He got out of jail yesterday, but by luck rather than judgement.

biglunn

Post by biglunn »

Gunnersaurus wrote:They showed character today, I didn't think they had it in them, it shocked me.

Chamberlin looked our main threat, he has to play now, Koscienly and even Rosicky was very good and thought Coquelin had a good first half.

That goal saved Walcott, he was having one of those all too familiar days.

Happy tonight, that's what I pay to see, some fight, there's a lot wrong at the club but this is why we are football fans, all the emotions were felt today.
They did show character in the second half - the players must have had an almighty seeing to at half time to get them to that level.

But watching the 1st half was all too familiar experience. Disgraceful defending, as it has been for over a year now. Predictable, lack of fire & passion. 2nd half proves that the team CAN play with passion & effort, but the fact the team goes on the pitch time and time again in such a lazy way for so many games is, for me, a damning slap in the face for Arsene Wenger.

We all know about the technical deficiencies of the team - yes, we can point the blame to the board for that in terms of lack of quality signings. But for everything else, I put the blame firmly on Wenger, for putting up with this crap, and justifying this crap to us the fans. Read this Wenger - we dont need world class players to have world class effort. If the shit on the pitch put half as much effort in as they did in the 2nd half yesterday, we wouldnt be the laughing stock we are in now.

The win yesterday was a case of short term gain, but more long term pain. The club is decaying slowly - like watching a car crash in slow motion. Utterly predictable. A win that justifies Wengers position, tactics and players... no need to buy players because everything is rosy again in Wengers garden - we will probably go on another micro-run of good results before the utterly predictable decline. I am craving for the day we win with a manager that believes Arsenal and really has a vision of us being the best, with players that love the club and wear the shirt with pride.

PS - For all those AKBs - I can accept the fact that we cannot compete for the best players. I can even accept the fact that we may never win the league again. But what I cannot accept is the way we play in a clueless lazy way with tactics that time after time just dont work. Wenger just cannot motivate players consistently anymore, and for these reasons it is better for the club he is kicked out and a new, more motivzted & passionate manager is brought in.
Last edited by biglunn on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

In truth all a win did was stopped him going into the market, it could be a turning point where the penny dropped but we won't know untill the next few games.

I can imagine what was said at half time "Look lads, if you don't win I'm fucked and my head will probably be on a stick, if I survive I might be out of a job and this little holiday camp will suddenly be dismantled and your fun times will be over, none of you want to be playing for Blackpool or Wigan do you? Right, get out there and express yourselves"

Pirestzel

Post by Pirestzel »

biglunn wrote: I am craving for the day we win with a manager that believes Arsenal and really has a vision of us being the best, with players that love the club and wear the shirt with pride.
I like your post but I think that last paragraph is a bit unfair in my opinion, I want Wenger out but to say he doesn't believe in Arsenal and dont have a vision is unjust for the guy, what he is trying hasn't worked for a while now thats just tough luck on his part. I also think there are plenty of players who wear the shirt with pride, although be it 2-3 dont look like they give a damn.

biglunn

Post by biglunn »

Gunnersaurus wrote:I can imagine what was said at half time "Look lads, if you don't win I'm fucked and my head will probably be on a stick, if I survive I might be out of a job and this little holiday camp will suddenly be dismantled and your fun times will be over, none of you want to be playing for Blackpool or Wigan do you? Right, get out there and express yourselves"
This probably isnt far from the truth!

The players know full well that they would not be on the money they are on now if it wasnt for Wengers 'generosity' in keeping them at the club for so long. The players were probably scared for themselves and for Wenger - knowing that the lazy party that they have been having for so long may well be over if a more focused & hungry manager came in.

biglunn

Post by biglunn »

Pirestzel wrote:
biglunn wrote: I am craving for the day we win with a manager that believes Arsenal and really has a vision of us being the best, with players that love the club and wear the shirt with pride.
I like your post but I think that last paragraph is a bit unfair in my opinion, I want Wenger out but to say he doesn't believe in Arsenal and dont have a vision is unjust for the guy, what he is trying hasn't worked for a while now thats just tough luck on his part. I also think there are plenty of players who wear the shirt with pride, although be it 2-3 dont look like they give a damn.
I seriously dont know what Wengers vision is anymore. He came to Arsenal and he absolutely changed the way we play & the way we were percieved. Exciting football with strong powerful likeable players, Wenger pushed Arsenal right to the front - we were truly the best show in town!

Exciting football has well & truly disappeared - over the past year or so even some of the teams below us have regularly shown they can match us technically on the pitch. Powerful players have disappeared - just look at the AKBs favourite Alex Song - a masterstroke by Arsene Wenger. Not fit to lace Vieiras boots. Look at the personalities on the pitch - they just dont seem to care. I can imagine the 'invincibles' practically killing each other if they played as stupidly as the current players play.

I would be happier if Wenger came out and said that we cannot compete against ManCity, ManU, Chelsea, & Tottscum because they have more money to spend. If only we then had the RIGHT players in with the right attitude, the correct tactics that are appropriate, and we were actually organised.

All I would like to see is all fans to wake up and realise that Wenger was great for us, but nobody can remain great forever. He has not adapted well to the changing face of English football, and he is doing long term damage to the club.

Public pressure has forced the RBS chief to return his £1m bonus, but Wenger is happy to take his world-class £6m a year for less than world-class footballing performances, and even from a financial point of view with CL football about to disappear and burdened with a world-class club wage-bill, and the highest gate prices in the world, Wengers position is utterly untenable.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I cant be bothered to read this whole thread but ive heard RVP took the half time team talk yesterday as no one listens to Wenger anymore. He's lost the dressing room

ramon

Post by ramon »

flash gunner wrote:I cant be bothered to read this whole thread but ive heard RVP took the half time team talk yesterday as no one listens to Wenger anymore. He's lost the dressing room
REally, did you go into the dressing room at half time then?
Because i for sure heard RVP say in his post match interview that WEnger gave the HT teamtalk.

augie

Post by augie »

ramon wrote:
flash gunner wrote:I cant be bothered to read this whole thread but ive heard RVP took the half time team talk yesterday as no one listens to Wenger anymore. He's lost the dressing room
REally, did you go into the dressing room at half time then?
Because i for sure heard RVP say in his post match interview that WEnger gave the HT teamtalk.

Why didnt you copy and paste that quote then ? :roll: