WIGAN AWAY

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Connolly55

Post by Connolly55 »

Trevheff wrote:If our game once again lacked 'cohesion and discipline' to quote Arsene, which was the same issue at West Ham before Christmas, the same issue at Man City in September, the same problem we had on numerous occassions last season, most noticeably at home to Sp*rs, why the hell do you keep fielding the same players who make the same mistakes time and time again and repeatedly show an inability or lack of desire to rectify and put right was is clearly going wrong?

It's probably futile picking out individual players from yesterday's debacle, but that 'effort' from Bendtner was no better than the dross that made us hate Adebayor last season. His lack of committment and will to win were an embarrassment. Ditto the game at the Lane. Yet he has been given a new long term contract. Why?

I don't blame Fabianski for yesterday, I feel sorry for him. He is clearly sh*t, or if there was a good keeper in there it has clearly been destroyed. No I blame Wenger for fielding, in a game where we were already missing so many key players, an inexperieinced keeper so clearly out of his depth and with confidence so obviously on the floor. Lets make this simple; Work out how many points dodgy keeping has cost us this season, add them back on and work out where we would now be in the League. Exactly.

RVP's little cameo at the Lane made it clear to me that a class striker fit for the full season could also have been enough to take us to the title despite our frailties at the back. So, having known, over 5 weeks ahead of the opening of the transfer window, that his main man would hardly play again this season, why did Arsene not act??? Did he really think Eduardo, Bendtner or Walcott would bridge the gap??? Can you imagine Utd losing Rooney or Chelsea Drogba for 6 months on the eve of a transfer window and not acting? Never. If the money is there this summer (ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz) don't tell me it couldn't have been found in January.

The way Sol's passion and refusal to accept defeat at the Lane stood out in comparison to the rest of our sorry lot just summed up how we are severely lacking, to a man, the type of character needed to compete and win in this league. How Arsene has let so many winners leave without replacing them is beyond belief for such an inteligent man.

I've gone completely off on a tangent. The purpose of my post was to deride the futile effort we saw on the pitch at Wigan yesterday. However everything we saw yesterday and everything I've just sounded off about just points to the obvious conclusion that the cracks have once again been papered over this season. We are no way near as good as we think we are. Below a few worthy individuals, we are severely lacking in most departments, have an average squad pre programmed to play one way without the ability or inteligence to react to a match situation. It has to change. At least 5 in and 5 out to freshen things up, money spent (real money) or there is only one other conclusion ..............

That my friend, is bang on.