THE MIDDLESEX SWAMP DWELLERS AWAY THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: THE MIDDLESEX SWAMP DWELLERS AWAY THREAD

Post by augie »

manorhouse wrote:The Buck stops at Mr Wenger, end off

:shock: :shock: :shock:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

To be honest that performance could have been a repeat of one of many insipid efforts away from home from the past few years. We've had two categories of performance in a number of these big games

1. Go out all guns blazing and the game is over within 20 minutes

2. Play within our shells with one isolated player up front and register one or two meaningful efforts all game (a la Old Trafford last season and the year before)

Saturday's game was definitely in the latter category. Two many players actually believing that this magical corner has been turned and to be honest the worst thing that happened was going 1-0 up so early because it only seemed to reinforce that belief that it was job done.

The lack of signing a proper midfield enforcer will continue to hurt in games like this where we are being dominated and pushed deeper and deeper into our own half. I used to laugh at the Spuds for their five minute wonders - especially Andross the Not So Great - but fuck me, if we haven't done a Bendtner with young Coquelin and thrown him the mother of all contracts on the back of 2 decent performances. I'm not saying he was shit on Saturday.....he was OK.....but in an era when nearly everyone plays 2 sitting midfielders we are still hoping that he'll go on to be somewhere near the player we hoped he might be 7 years ago. Even if he does do well we are then either playing Ramsey or Wilshere out of position alongside him, or heaven forbid Captain Stupid or an aging Mikel Arteta, or the unproven novice Bielik.

Still I'm sure we'll spend BIG in the Summer and sort it all out

augie

Post by augie »

Steve O I agree 100% re coquelin - I think that we are so desperate for a proper DM, that we are giving the guy far more credit than he is due. The media and fans are talking about him being a young prospect......he is 24 years old ffs and no player should be a "prospect" at that age :roll: To be better than an aging arteta (who is no longer good enough but who I will not slate) and the mercenary French c.unt, is no big feat and to suggest that he is good enough for The Arsenal is as small time as it gets :oops: We should have bought a top quality DM last month - I don't care if he wasn't going to be eligible for champs league or not, but we should have splashed the cash for a guy that would automatically improve the starting 11, instead of spending money on a centre back who is only a back up

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:Steve O I agree 100% re coquelin - I think that we are so desperate for a proper DM, that we are giving the guy far more credit than he is due. The media and fans are talking about him being a young prospect......he is 24 years old ffs and no player should be a "prospect" at that age :roll: To be better than an aging arteta (who is no longer good enough but who I will not slate) and the mercenary French c.unt, is no big feat and to suggest that he is good enough for The Arsenal is as small time as it gets :oops: We should have bought a top quality DM last month - I don't care if he wasn't going to be eligible for champs league or not, but we should have splashed the cash for a guy that would automatically improve the starting 11, instead of spending money on a centre back who is only a back up
I liken it to the GK situation when Jens went and we had Average Al, Mannone-kokey, and Flapper. By default when they were all injured or out on loan, There's Only One chucked Chesney into the first team and because he didn't have a bag to catch the ball in he was immediately given hero status and became our number 1. As with Coquelin, he would never even had played for the first team if Wilshere, Arteta and co had all been fit.....but here we are, a month later and bigging the guy up to hero status. Like Chesney he'd been loaned out to a lower division only just before.

As is the case with Chesney we are now seeing the wisdom (or lack of) in that decision - yes he's better than Almunia, Flapper and Mannone.......and probably Coq is better than a 33 year old Arteta, and statue man Flamoney........SO FUCKING WHAT! Again, its cheap, no-signing / internal solution.

I hope Coq makes it but even if he does I repeat the point - is that enough in that CDM role given the other options. I also hope the lad is more grounded than Bendy Bollocks and Chesney because no sooner did they get their 4-5 year deals on 50k per week plus, they immediately became total and utter arrogant halfwits

manorhouse

Post by manorhouse »

A Top quality DM should have been bought a YEAR ago, not another Flamini though needs to be world class with Leadership qualities
This is a watershed moment the Spurs game was totall humiliation, and MUST never be repeated

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

manorhouse wrote:A Top quality DM should have been bought a YEAR ago, not another Flamini though needs to be world class with Leadership qualities
This is a watershed moment the Spurs game was totall humiliation, and MUST never be repeated
Disagree with that statement. We played a team that walloped the team top of the league. We've known about the DM role for over two seasons so hardly a surprise. Whilst no on likes losing to tottingham they wanted it more and got it right. Wenger got it wrong and we move on to Leicester. Just wait until the inter-cities fair cup starts again. I'm confident we'll finish above them, top 4 is too tight to call. 3 points separating 4 teams with Liverpool hitting a bit of form, who will turn tottingham over at anfield. It's a loss hard to take but not as humiliating as 6-0 at chelski, 5-1 at anfield and 6-3 at city, or to add 2-0 at Southampton. manure away is probably the next away game we'll lose as we've got chelski, Liverpool at home and the remaining teams are middle to lower fodder for this team.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:
manorhouse wrote:A Top quality DM should have been bought a YEAR ago, not another Flamini though needs to be world class with Leadership qualities
Disagree with that statement. We played a team that walloped the team top of the league. We've known about the DM role for over two seasons so hardly a surprise. Whilst no on likes losing to tottingham they wanted it more and got it right. Wenger got it wrong and we move on to Leicester. Just wait until the inter-cities fair cup starts again. I'm confident we'll finish above them, top 4 is too tight to call. 3 points separating 4 teams with Liverpool hitting a bit of form, who will turn tottingham over at anfield. It's a loss hard to take but not as humiliating as 6-0 at chelski, 5-1 at anfield and 6-3 at city, or to add 2-0 at Southampton. manure away is probably the next away game we'll lose as we've got chelski, Liverpool at home and the remaining teams are middle to lower fodder for this team.
Agreed - if I had a pound for every 'watershed' moment of the past 4 years or so I'd be a rich man. How about the most embarrassing defeat of the lot - 8-2 at OT, our worst result in a century, or losing 3-2 to the Spuds after being 2-0 up at half time at home.

Saturday wasn't as bad as either of those two, just the continued level of inconsistency and lack of application and balls that has permeated this squad for years. Victories against Leicester, Boro and Palace and all will be forgiven. Certain defeats at home to Chavski and away to ManUre later this season will come and go, and be no more of a watershed moment than many of the others that have long since come and gone

armchair

Post by armchair »

manorhouse wrote:The Ref set the tone for the game allowing them to step up even more with the physical stuff,of which wee were getting bookings for less.
That said they won because they wanted it MORE, cant blame Wengerfor that, Monreal and Wellbeck had a go but the Rose tussel seemed to totally put Wellbeck off his game, another example from a shit referee
manorhouse wrote: The Buck stops at Mr Wenger, end off

Wtf? :rubchin:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

armchair wrote:
manorhouse wrote:The Ref set the tone for the game allowing them to step up even more with the physical stuff,of which wee were getting bookings for less.
That said they won because they wanted it MORE, cant blame Wengerfor that, Monreal and Wellbeck had a go but the Rose tussel seemed to totally put Wellbeck off his game, another example from a shit referee

Armchair.......I hope you're not suggesting that an item of footwear I only wear on beach holidays might be at play here?

:D

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
armchair wrote:

Armchair.......I hope you're not suggesting that an item of footwear I only wear on beach holidays might be at play here?

:D
I like the new Manorhouse 8)

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Used to get the 253 bus towards manor house on my way to school.

True story. :oops: :? :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:Used to get the 253 bus towards manor house on my way to school.

:tumbleweed:

:wink:

manorhouse

Post by manorhouse »

Yes they wanted it MORE, thats not down to Wenger _FACT

Once there over the line on to the pitch they must shoulder some responsibilty

Kane and Mason young English lads know what it means to there fans and showed it ON THE PITCH (not fucking bigging it up before the game like Walcott and Mertersecker in the press), ours just totally disappeared in the onslaught

Midfield, What Fucking midfield....where the fuck was it???

What i said still stands as True, that was a 2-1 SLAUGHTER

Moving on to the inquest though of course there are a million and one outstanding questions to be answered by the Management team but thats best left for another day.......

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

manorhouse wrote:Yes they wanted it MORE, thats not down to Wenger _FACT

Once there over the line on to the pitch they must shoulder some responsibilty

Kane and Mason young English lads know what it means to there fans and showed it ON THE PITCH (not fucking bigging it up before the game like Walcott and Mertersecker in the press), ours just totally disappeared in the onslaught

Midfield, What Fucking midfield....where the fuck was it???
What i said still stands as True, that was a 2-1 SLAUGHTER

Moving on to the inquest though of course there are a million and one outstanding questions to be answered by the Management team but thats best left for another day.......
I think the official answer to that question is 'still playing for other teams'. But as we all know nobody wants to sell / was available at the right price / no better than what we have already / internal solutions

manorhouse

Post by manorhouse »

DB10GOONER wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:Used to get the 253 bus towards manor house on my way to school.

:tumbleweed:

:wink:

For Info: Manorhouse at 12.0 was the past meeting point for the trip down the lane