THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Wilson

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Wilson »

I just dont know what we are working towards. Are now a club that it outside the CL looking to break in like Tottenham and Liverpool were a few year back. Or does Wenger consider us still mainstays of the top 4 with the longer term goal of looking to win the league?

How can you even begin to talk to Ozil or Sanchez without clear direction? I dont think anyone knows whats going it. And yet, our manager wo has us placed in 5th is considered a 'genius'. Yeah, a very stable genius

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wilson wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 am
I just dont know what we are working towards. Are now a club that it outside the CL looking to break in like Tottenham and Liverpool were a few year back. Or does Wenger consider us still mainstays of the top 4 with the longer term goal of looking to win the league?

How can you even begin to talk to Ozil or Sanchez without clear direction? I dont think anyone knows whats going it. And yet, our manager wo has us placed in 5th is considered a 'genius'. Yeah, a very stable genius
:lol: Methinks someone still hasn't gotten over his hero, Satan's Whore Hillary, getting humiliated by a complete moron.... :D :wink:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Wilson wrote:

i think the club is just trying to keep as competitive as it can, whilst spending the least it can, in order to maximise profits.
one thing is for certain - outside the top 4 is the new normal, and if the fans keep coming then maybe ambitions will be lowered further. "competing" for a Europa League place might become the new normal, we are not far off that now anyway.

me personally, I just don't go anymore, apart from attending the odd £10 league cup game to remind myself how bad the atmosphere is.
still plenty of people do go. well done in continuing to ensure Wenger keeps in his job.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:35 am
Wilson wrote:

i think the club is just trying to keep as competitive as it can, whilst spending the least it can, in order to maximise profits.
one thing is for certain - outside the top 4 is the new normal, and if the fans keep coming then maybe ambitions will be lowered further. "competing" for a Europa League place might become the new normal, we are not far off that now anyway.

me personally, I just don't go anymore, apart from attending the odd £10 league cup game to remind myself how bad the atmosphere is.
still plenty of people do go. well done in continuing to ensure Wenger keeps in his job.
I know the feeling. Its so hard to support this team when the outcome is destined to end in despair. There is no excitement in football, and that is the worse thing. Wenger has stripped Arsenal fans of their desire to follow the team.

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

The decline continues. He has always sacrificed competitions for what he sees as a greater good (an FA Cup hiding vs Utd with Nani juggling the ball on his head springs to mind!) but chucking an FA Cup tie for a semi match in the Carabou cup is beyond ridiculous.

silus

Post by silus »

Kingralph wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:41 am
The decline continues. He has always sacrificed competitions for what he sees as a greater good (an FA Cup hiding vs Utd with Nani juggling the ball on his head springs to mind!) but chucking an FA Cup tie for a semi match in the Carabou cup is beyond ridiculous.
Especially as it's a comp he's not given the slightest fuck about for 2 decades.
Still pisses me off that he played weakened teams in the finals against the Chavs and Brum!!!

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

How do us fans deal with damage limitation. I mean we have a global following and have won the FA Cup 3 times in 4 years which is a great achievement.
There is always a BUT. We have lost any kind of respect in Europe due to our shocking exit from CL in the first round knock out time after time.
Instead of coming back from a decade of poor PL performances we are slipping further down while our rivals seem to be improving.
It looks unlikely we will compete in the Champions League anytime soon and our defence is a laughing stock plus we are losing our best 2 players.
Apart from Maitlin Niles we don't seem to have any real quality coming through so that's not good.
If you were a top football player is Arsenal a good choice right now ?
Wenger will open most press conferences with the line, I have been in the game 110 years etc but you are dragging Arsenal down in so many ways the damage might not be so easily fixed.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Is the cuntslop ever gonna fuckOff or what! ? :roll:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

What?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

silus wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:14 am
Kingralph wrote:
Especially as it's a comp he's not given the slightest fuck about for 2 decades.
Still pisses me off that he played weakened teams in the finals against the Chavs and Brum!!!
Me too tbh. They were two very winnable finals. :(

MrT

Post by MrT »

Carlo Ancelotti in line to succeed Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 36521.html

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

MrT wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:28 pm

Not having a go at you here, mate - but it's these kind of horseshit made-up click bait stories that piss me off.... not one serious quote from anybody in that whole purely speculative piece of shit "report". These fucking reporters are stealing a living. :roll:

I'll take €20 of anyone's money right now that not only will Ancelotti not be Arsenal manager next season, no one other than Wenger will be our manager. :roll:

MrT

Post by MrT »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:38 pm
MrT wrote:

Not having a go at you here, mate - but it's these kind of horseshit made-up click bait stories that piss me off.... not one serious quote from anybody in that whole purely speculative piece of shit "report". These fucking reporters are stealing a living. :roll:

I'll take €20 of anyone's money right now that not only will Ancelotti not be Arsenal manager next season, no one other than Wenger will be our manager. :roll:
Enjoy the click bait, let it wash over you and consume you.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

MrT wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:43 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:38 pm
MrT wrote:

Enjoy the click bait, let it wash over you and consume you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Quality. :lol:

And I'm sorely tempted at this stage.... :wink:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Kingralph wrote:
I don't believe that is what he did. He believes the stiffs (stiffs to us not to him) are good enough to carry us through these early cup rounds. He did it in the Europa and even there, against part timers, we started coming up short in the last couple of games.

He went into the Forest game believing we would come through that and then he would probably have fielded more or less the same team tonight, saving his big guns for the PL game on Sunday. 4th has become his Holy Grail more than ever, he is desperate to get back in the CL. Sunday's result has scuppered him, he cannot put the stiffs out again, if he does and they get hammered people are going to be screaming for his head...(For about 30 minutes after the game, then they'll "come to their senses") realising there is nobody else who could possibly lead us.

Conte needs a win tonight as well, he'll put a decent team out.