THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Henry Norris 1913

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

NickF wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 am

George Graham wasn't exactly an Arsenal legend
:shock: :shock: :shock:
as a player i would agree, his part of the '71 double is often blown up out of proportion, always see him as a bit of a fancy dan player, he tried claiming eddie kelly's goal in 71 final the little fucker :oops: :wink:

personally he wasn't anywhere near as good a striker as john radford or overall player as ray kennedy, i'd say charlie george has more raw skill than him too. george is rightly remembered as a key player in that squad but as an actual player i don't think his output was that great, record wise his best days were actually at the chavs

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

MrT wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:10 pm
StuartL wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:36 pm
MrT wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:18 pm
david m
‏@davemagar

BREAKING NEWS--Lord Harris offered his resignation to the board this morning which has been turned down. He's clearly fed up with the situation albeit the Board have asked him to reconsider and to give them time.
Ah, so it was all LordHarris of Peckhams fault, hopefully after getting shot of him we will be world conquerors once again :rubchin:
All is not rosy in the boardroom.

Lost the dressing room too
The full story:

The speech was delivered by one of the senior players in the Arsenal dressing room but he did not finish it. He was too choked up as he reflected on how such a talented squad had come to resemble a bunch of drifters. He said his children were asking him why Arsenal were so bad. That was the moment when the tears welled in his eyes.

Another Arsenal player stepped in. “We are a big club,” he said, tapping into the rallying cry theme. “But we need more help from the coaches.” That was when the damning judgment was articulated. It had actually been the motivation for the players to gather in the first place – without Arsène Wenger. “It’s not going to happen,” one of them said. “We need to find the answers ourselves.”

It was Tuesday of this week – the day of the first training session after Sunday’s Carabao Cup final humbling against Manchester City. The meeting of the players at London Colney was not aggressive in its tone, even if there were frank exchanges. It was more plaintive; coloured by soul-searching and a certain helplessness. It shone a glaring light on why Wenger’s time as the manager is up.

It is too easy in times of crisis to say the lavishly rewarded modern footballer does not care. The Arsenal squad do care; they beat themselves up over how they have slipped from Champions League to Europa League level. It embarrasses them that the fans have been so unhappy with so many of their performances. This is their livelihood. They have professional pride.

Wenger has always said he will step aside when he feels he can no longer draw the maximum from his players. Right now, he cannot get through to them at all and the frustration on all sides is overwhelming. It is causing the club to implode.

The weird thing about Thursday night’s Premier League fixture against City was that Arsenal played well during the first half. And yet they trailed 3-0 by the end of it and only a Petr Cech block from Sergio Agüero on 40 minutes stopped it from being worse. At that point only the hardest of hearts could feel no sympathy.

Arsenal’s heads did not go down after the first City goal – despite Wenger’s dire pre-match warning that in 85% of the big games the team that broke the deadlock came out on top. But things turned sharply upon the second and third goals. There were boos from the home support when the half-time whistle went, a chorus of “You’re not fit to wear the shirt” from a small section and, also, something new and darker – the team were booed out for the second half.

It was excruciating to see how City sliced through Arsenal on the counterattack, although it was not entirely surprising given the lack of defensive midfield balance in Wenger’s lineup. Arsenal gamely tried to play forward; City simply picked them off.

The no-shows had felt telling; the Emirates Stadium was only half-full. Never mind the horrible weather – this was one of the prestige matches of the season. The official attendance was given as 58,420 based on tickets sold, which drew the usual derision. Only at Arsenal can people get angry at something like that.

But this is the climate, one of volatility and extreme emotion, and Wenger remains the lightning rod. Whether he limps on into next season or is gently ushered off the premises is the all-consuming issue (again) and it is difficult to see how it cannot affect performances. Wenger admitted the uncertainty over his future had done so last season.

The City manager, Pep Guardiola, was asked on Thursday night whether he felt any sympathy towards Wenger and he talked generously about how he could “understand the situation”. Guardiola accepted it could happen to him or any of his peers, even if this rather overlooked the sheer scale of the Wenger Out saga. But a throwaway line stood out. “I’m sure he’s going to take the right decision, for the club, for him, for the players, for everybody,” Guardiola said.

As far as Wenger is concerned there is no decision to take. He intends to remain in charge for next season and honour the final one on his contract. To hear Guardiola buy into the narrative and, essentially, validate it was revealing. Perhaps Guardiola has a little inside information. His coach, Mikel Arteta – the former Arsenal captain – has been touted as a potential successor to Wenger.

There were mitigating factors for Arsenal’s second 3-0 loss to City in the space of five days; namely that it was City. They have greater resources and better players. But it still felt like a damaging setback; a point of no return. Even Wenger’s patented knack of bouncing back from a bad defeat had deserted him.

On the other hand, we have been here before – most recently at Crystal Palace last April. After the 3-0 defeat that night, the notion of Wenger continuing for another season felt outlandish. He somehow stabilised and ended up winning the FA Cup. This time out he has his sights on the Europa League.

Wenger talked the fighting talk before Sunday’s trip to Brighton & Hove Albion, albeit in a weary way, and he admitted that his players’ confidence levels were low. He looked shot to pieces although, as ever, he trooped through his various media obligations with stoicism and dignity. Nobody likes to see this gentleman under such fire. More than anything, the situation is sad.

The club have adopted a siege mentality in which they refuse to look beyond the next game. But Wenger’s judgment day is drawing nearer. Stan Kroenke, the majority shareholder, had one target for the season – to reboard the Champions League gravy train. It has come to look further away.

Would Kroenke pull the trigger on Wenger? It would be a surprise if he did not.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... er-meeting

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

"Nobody likes to see this gentleman under such fire. "

I do, in my humble opinion he's not getting enough fire reigned down on him, he's a prick...and i hope he's fucked out on the steps of the stadium with a brown box of his office shite fucked out on top of him. pay back for the last 10 years of stealing a salary.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

xgtdec wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:37 pm

I do, in my humble opinion he's not getting enough fire reigned down on him, he's a prick...and i hope he's fucked out on the steps of the stadium with a brown box of his office shite fucked out on top of him. pay back for the last 10 years of stealing a salary.
Aaaaaw! Come Onnn Get Down Off Of That Fence And Tell Us How You Really Feel! :lol:

Arsenal Till I Die

Hill-Wood getting his boot in, now.

''Former chairman Peter Hill-Wood appointed Wenger in 1996 and has been his staunchest supporter.

But last night Hill-Wood said for the first time the Gunners needed a change.

“I clearly am not very happy about what is going on,” said Hill-Wood, 82, who stood down as chairman in 2013 for health reasons.

“I think that there probably ought to be a change of management.''

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... ghton-news

Thank you for an interest in our affairs, Peter.

MrT

Post by MrT »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:40 pm

''Former chairman Peter Hill-Wood appointed Wenger in 1996 and has been his staunchest supporter.

“I clearly am not very happy about what is going on,” said Hill-Wood, 82, who stood down as chairman in 2013 for health reasons.

The fact this wanker has the balls to come out and say this publicly means it's over. Wenger is done.

It's happening lads. I can see the promised land. Just need Milan to deliver the final blow and that's all folks.

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:10 pm
xgtdec wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:37 pm

Aaaaaw! Come Onnn Get Down Off Of That Fence And Tell Us How You Really Feel! :lol:
It's up to the players now. They've got to take responsibility and say that enough is enough and they need a change. They are getting no direction, no coaching and no preparation. They can only go so far and they need to tell the owner and the board that they want a new manager.

Arsenal Till I Die

MrT wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:51 pm

The fact this wanker has the balls to come out and say this publicly means it's over. Wenger is done.

It's happening lads. I can see the promised land. Just need Milan to deliver the final blow and that's all folks.

I'm actually feeling that way about Hill-Wood's quotes too. The man was one of Wenger's biggest arse lickers and stuck by him until Hill-Wood stepped down. I really can't see Hill-Wood going out of his way to say this if there was no chance of Wenger going.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:57 pm
MrT wrote:

I'm actually feeling that way about Hill-Wood's quotes too. The man was one of Wenger's biggest arse lickers and stuck by him until Hill-Wood stepped down. I really can't see Hill-Wood going out of his way to say this if there was no chance of Wenger going.
As ex-chairman, his voice holds no sway anyway.........he still put “probably” as a caveat to a change of management

Arsenal Till I Die

StuartL wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:06 pm
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:57 pm
MrT wrote:

As ex-chairman, his voice holds no sway anyway.........he still put “probably” as a caveat to a change of management
While it has no real sway on Wenger's future, there's no way Hill-Wood would look to segregate himself from his old boys' network by voicing an opinion that isn't in line with theirs.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

If they had any moral backbone & guts the club's board of directors would pass a resolution calling for Wenger to be removed from his position. :barscarf:

If they haven't got the power to pass such a resolution they should inform the media & resign their posts in protest with immediate effect. :barscarf:

Methinks their purpose is to rubber stamp Wiggy's decisions & that they do as they're told, despite the club falling further behind every season & every game for years. They are nothing but gutless puppets! :cussing:

NickF

Post by NickF »

I'm sure I can't be the only who couldn't actual give a shit what Hill-Wood may or may not have said. *word censored*
BREAKING NEWS--Lord Harris offered his resignation
Is there any non-twitter proof of this?

As for that Tuesday meeting story from the Guardian it just reads like it is completely made up without a shred of evidence to support it.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Haven't looked at anything football related since Sunday but having just looked on Sky and the Beeb, it's clear to me that the empty seats, whatever the reason, has got the media talking. Perhaps those of us that no longer go are finally being noticed after all. Interesting to see what those criticising our decision on here after the final think.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

NickF wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:05 am
I'm sure I can't be the only who couldn't actual give a shit what Hill-Wood may or may not have said. *word censored*
BREAKING NEWS--Lord Harris offered his resignation
Is there any non-twitter proof of this?

As for that Tuesday meeting story from the Guardian it just reads like it is completely made up without a shred of evidence to support it.
Regardless of your opinion of its politics, the Guardian is a serious newspaper with high journalistic integrity, at least compared to what passes for reporting these days. I seriously doubt they would create a story from thin air, or take a story from some random second hand source and then publish it as an eyewitness account. The print version is struggling as are all the media, but the only online version is massively popular without need to fabricate stories.

JimmyAFC

Post by JimmyAFC »

That Guardian article was damning on this club and the frauds in the coaching staff, most notably f****** Wenger.

I will not blame the players. I feel sorry for these blokes who are clearly in a club where the coaching staff don't give a shit, don't give any coaching or guidance and are happy picking up a big pay check whilst doing so.

Not that I rate him that highly but Bellerin will be off in the summer. He's had enough of this comfortable bullshit club.

Wilshere and Ramsey will both be off as well. They can't handle this manager or this non ambitious football club from top to bottom anymore.

I'm also sick and tired of people saying oh he's shit, he's shit. THESE PLAYERS ARE NOT SHIT.

They are not managed. How many fucking times have we signed players under this regime and they have flopped?

Lacazette and Aubamayeng were both world class before coming to this fucking club. Mustafi is a german international. Bet he doesn't play like that under Low.

Cech. Conceded the most goals since being here in his career. Have you seen our GK coach? Fucking Peyton. Another Wengerite been here for 20 fucking years.

Why do all our goalkeepers turn to utter shit? It's no coincidence.

Look at Szczesny at Juve. Always had talent, was never coached and properly guided from his youth days.

This club is an absolute shambles and can't fucking wait for these coaches to piss off with their dictator.