Other sports

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
the playing mantis

Re: Other sports

Post by the playing mantis »

LDB wrote:Nadal out of wimbledon in the first round
quelle surprise, fuentes gets busted nadal loses it....coincidence!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

After complaining about "game management" last week it was even worse today. Just tried to hold out for 30 minutes and almost inevitably they couldn't. No territory or possession in the second half. Tbh if you take the occasion away it was a pretty shite game of rugby.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

augie wrote:
g88ner wrote:
augie wrote:NFL all the way baby :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Not sure if it is down to my disenfranchised feelings towards all things Arsenal or my general resentment of the way the game has changed over the last decade or so, but in the past couple of years I have found myself enjoying watching nfl games more than I do watching footie these days :o :oops: Maybe that also has something to do with the fact that in the nfl there are really only 5 or 6 franchises that I actually despise thus making it easier for me to watch a game "as a neutral" which is in contrast to footie where more often than not I hate a club, a manager or a player that is involved :oops:
I'm a little surprised you like NFL, Augie. Based on your posts on this forum, I would have thought the NFL represents pretty much everything you hate about modern sport.... franchised teams; financially driven; media obsessed; adverts DURING games :o , big, soulless stadiums; expensive tickets; crazy wages; fan friendly officials that use a comedy style giant marker to measure yards; shit chants from the crowd... and a shit load of cringey "defense" and "offense" americanisms :x

I like it, but I thought you were old skool, Augie?! :lol:

I'm an NFL fan for over 20 years now g88ner and all those criticisms you refer to were present when I started watching the sport so really I haven't known the game without those traits. In contrast I have been a footie fan for 40 years now and as such I have a reference point to which I can keep comparing the modern day footie with......in other words I have known the game before it was all about money and have known it since money became number 1 :( There are many aspects of the nfl that I don't like but, as much as I really enjoy the game, I still don't feel that sense of belonging like I do with footie so those flaws don't bother me as much. Another problem is that the over-saturation of footie on tv has lessened my appetite for the game whilst the sparsity of nfl coverage always leaves me craving for more.
Finally can I just say that for all the money that runs through the nfl (and it dwarfs football), they still have and support the idea of parity - arsole wenker might spout bullshit about FFP but could you honestly see him agreeing to a system that see's all revenue being split equally meaning the likes of Norwich would get as much money as we would ? In the nfl they use a proper financial equalisation system which leaves all franchises operating on a level playing field and by and large it prevents a system where one or two teams can dominate for years (which seems to happen in every football league across europe :roll: ) - that equality shines out like a beacon and makes me proud to be an nfl fan 8)
Good post.

BEAR DOWN CHICAGO BEARS! DA BEARS!

:barscarf: :lol:

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Over 2 million people attended the Blackhawks victory parade/rally yesterday. I was one of them. Had a fucking blast even though it was hot as hell. I wore my 2006 Fabregas jersey and got more than a few "Fuck Arsenal" shouts directed towards me lol.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Well well well. After playing hugely negative tactics in the first two Tests Gatland has reverted to what he knows and put 10 Boyos in the starting line-up. Have to say Australia would have been favourites whatever line-up he put out, I hope we don't just play the same boring shit but ith teh side he's named I can't see anything else. If we lose with that side and negative rugby he'll get slaughtered and his reputation will be torn to pieces. Anyway, come on you Lions.

Went down to watch Glamorgan tonight in their T20 game against Warwickshire. Not many there are the atmosphere was reminiscent of a 12.30 kick-off against Bolton for most of the game but a bit of fun, good game that went all the way and all for a fiver.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Seems like Gatland has picked the kind of side he'd like to have picked for each game if possible, and gone for what he knows and trusts. On the one hand if we take Wales as an example, they have tended to be one of the best teams to watch over the last few years with guys who can change a game. On the other, those guys don't have a good record against Australia. This doesn't seem to be a great Australia side but they have some seriously good players in key positions and let's hope that the Lions can play with a little more freedom and achieve a win. :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'm absolutely pissing myself laughing at the reaction in Oireland to the Tigers or Panthers or Pussy Cats or whatever the fuck they call themselves dropping some Oirish towel-flicker. It's all over the radio, the web, the TV and the papers. Oh dear God, it's sooooo fucking funny. You'd swear they had raped the shit out of a nun and then beheaded her in front of the Book of Kells! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rubchin: Surely they can just replace him with some other closet homosexual that wasn't good enough to play football? :shock:

:mrgreen: :wink:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

DB10GOONER wrote:I'm absolutely pissing myself laughing at the reaction in Oireland to the Tigers or Panthers or Pussy Cats or whatever the fuck they call themselves dropping some Oirish towel-flicker. It's all over the radio, the web, the TV and the papers. Oh dear God, it's sooooo fucking funny. You'd swear they had raped the shit out of a nun and then beheaded her in front of the Book of Kells! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rubchin: Surely they can just replace him with some other closet homosexual that wasn't good enough to play football? :shock:

I think C*****h is too thin to play rugby.

:rubchin: :wink:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:I'm absolutely pissing myself laughing at the reaction in Oireland to the Tigers or Panthers or Pussy Cats or whatever the fuck they call themselves dropping some Oirish towel-flicker. It's all over the radio, the web, the TV and the papers. Oh dear God, it's sooooo fucking funny. You'd swear they had raped the shit out of a nun and then beheaded her in front of the Book of Kells! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good God I could have written that myself word for word..not since the TH14 handball in 2009 have I heard so much rubbish ....justiceforBOD campaign on Facebook, apparently 100,000 likes gets him back on the team. Gatland is anti-oirish...it gets fucking worse. It is embarrassing in the week after wanker -bankers embarrassed the country .
I am not a fan of many sports but where as I don't like golf, formula 1, cricket to name a few I can live and let live with them and let them and their supporters get on with their interests but I unashamedly hate rugby with a passion . I hate the superior arrogance of it, I hate the fact the "unwritten Oirish law " says we MUST support Oireland or whichever Franchise is doing best in the Heineken cup that year.

RoscommonGooner

Post by RoscommonGooner »

Bradywasking wrote:

Good God I could have written that myself word for word..not since the TH14 handball in 2009 have I heard so much rubbish ....justiceforBOD campaign on Facebook, apparently 100,000 likes gets him back on the team. Gatland is anti-oirish...it gets fucking worse. It is embarrassing in the week after wanker -bankers embarrassed the country .
I am not a fan of many sports but where as I don't like golf, formula 1, cricket to name a few I can live and let live with them and let them and their supporters get on with their interests but I unashamedly hate rugby with a passion . I hate the superior arrogance of it, I hate the fact the "unwritten Oirish law " says we MUST support Oireland or whichever Franchise is doing best in the Heineken cup that year.

We should meet for a pint. Couldn't agree more. Don't really have a problem with any sport but the knobs that now "support" rugby piss me off big time. At the start I was kind of hoping for Australia to win, now I think I want the Lions to win.

Nah, I couldn't give a shite either way.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

RoscommonGooner wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:

We should meet for a pint. Couldn't agree more. Don't really have a problem with any sport but the knobs that now "support" rugby piss me off big time. At the start I was kind of hoping for Australia to win, now I think I want the Lions to win.

Nah, I couldn't give a shite either way.
:lol: :barscarf:

Lads, we are brothers in arms. :lol: 8)

Fucking hate the "sport". Hate the arrogant yuppie arseholes in Oireland (especially Dublin) that support it. You see them in pubs with their polo shirts on with the collar up, invariably they are named Killian or Lorcan or Jamie (who are then called Kills, Lorco and J-Ball :oops: ) and they sit there shiting out of them with bollocks like; "Drive! Engage! Ooh - Mongo type big hit!"

And then you bump into them on the way home later that night... one of them is always naked and the other two are always trying to light each others farts or interfere with each others arses in some manner or other. And all this from a "game" for unskilled fat bastards that like to cuddle other men. :lol: :roll:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

But mate, if you read above, brady and rosco seem to be getting on like a house on fire. And all because of rugby.

:D 8) :barscarf: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:But mate, if you read above, brady and rosco seem to be getting on like a house on fire. And all because of rugby.

:D 8) :barscarf: :wink:
But that's like saying Hitler and Himmler got on like a house on fire. And all because of the Jews! :?

:shock:

Too soon?

:wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Should add if any of our Jewish viewers are offended by that gag above please PM me and I'll remove it. No offense meant. If however you are not Jewish and are offended because you are a busy cúnt with no sense of humour and spend your life being outraged by throwaway gags on interweb forums then, please, do go and fuck yourself. Thank you. 8)

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Brillant Lions :barscarf: