Rocky Memorial

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Re: Rocky Memorial

Post by Herd »

Much as I loved Rocky there aseems to be an "aura" of unreality surrounding the dear man and he certainly would NOT have warranted a statue if he had lived !

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:Much as I loved Rocky there aseems to be an "aura" of unreality surrounding the dear man and he certainly would NOT have warranted a statue if he had lived !

Seemed to be an unassuming person, yes he would have been embarrassed probably

Herd

Post by Herd »

There was a reason he was sold and there is a reason his career went into a massive nosedive after he left......literally.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Herd wrote:Much as I loved Rocky there aseems to be an "aura" of unreality surrounding the dear man and he certainly would NOT have warranted a statue if he had lived !

My thoughts entirely.

He loved the club and died tragically Young, but he wasn't that great a player. Decent, hard-working and reasonably talented, but if George Armstrong doesn't warrant a statue, Rocky doesn't.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

GranadaJoe wrote:

My thoughts entirely.

He loved the club and died tragically Young, but he wasn't that great a player. Decent, hard-working and reasonably talented, but if George Armstrong doesn't warrant a statue, Rocky doesn't.

Geordie Armstrong was a terrific player, such an outlet, under pressure at the back.....pass out to the wing and off he would go getting the crosses over for Radford and Kennedy.....amazing player and very underrated

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

He was one of our own and was distraught when we let him go (not arguing the rights and wrongs of that) and died tragically young; I don't mind sentimentality trumping talent in this instance.

I think it would be a nice gesture from an increasingly distant club.

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

He was sold because the knee injury meant G Graham thought he was not good enough any more as proved by his decline at Leeds
Cried when he was told he had to go
never said a bad word about Arsenal
Legend in my book

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

GranadaJoe wrote:

My thoughts entirely.

I can see where you're both coming from but in the same instance why have Henry and DB10 got statues before David O'Leary who holds the record for most appearances, stuck with us through the '70''s and 80's when we were dire, when others were leaving, a record that looks unlikely to be beaten. I think only Walcott of our current crop of players has a realistic chance of beating O'Learys appearance record if he remains injury free. Rocky was a special character, for the Tottenham fans to observe the minutes silence that day emphasised his likeability. Also, the Rocastle Foundation is doing good work through the club. Its because he died tragically young and was Arsenal through and through puts his legacy in a position where a statue dedicated to him is the right thing to do.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

It would appear that AFC prior to AW's arrival doesn't really count.

I guess you could argue that to get a statue you need to be a great player, a long-serving player, a 'good bloke' and have played in a team that won things,

which would still leave Geordie Armstrong, McLintock, Rice etc as worthy candidates.

Maybe we should forget statues. There's not enough room.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:He was one of our own and was distraught when we let him go (not arguing the rights and wrongs of that) and died tragically young; I don't mind sentimentality trumping talent in this instance.

I think it would be a nice gesture from an increasingly distant club.
I agree with this 100%. Would also add that he was a talented player in a time when most teams tried to actively bypass the midfield entirely with the long ball.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Haven't we got enough statues in the current first team?

I reckon a Mertesacker statue could turn faster than the real thing these days :-)

Herd

Post by Herd »

I'm extremely surprised these statues haven't been nicked and melted down at the local scrap dealers !
They must be well and truly bolted down !

Is about time they did one of me ,I'm a legend in my own lunchtime ,Glencore are standing by in case they do as there will be a huge surge in demand for Copper !

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

SPUDMASHER wrote:Haven't we got enough statues in the current first team?

I reckon a Mertesacker statue could turn faster than the real thing these days :-)
:lol:

And it least it wouldn't turn it's back on a shot at goal :roll: :wink: :lol:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:Haven't we got enough statues in the current first team?

:lol:

And it least it wouldn't turn it's back on a shot at goal :roll: :wink: :lol:
Statues ??? so Chelsea scum can come down and deface like they did with Herbert Chapman.....

armchair

Post by armchair »