Swap For Cech

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Which Players Should Not Be Included In A Deal For Cech ?

Gibbs
3%
Chambers
1%
Coquelin
10%
Wally
12%
The Ox
17%
Ramsey
17%
Wilshere
16%
Wellbeck
4%
Bellerin
10%
Chesney
9%

Total votes: 99

augie

Re: Swap For Cech

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
augie wrote:
rigsby wrote:Deal expected to be sewn up in the next 48 hours.

HUGE HUGE signing if this happens.

If you talking about cech then I cannot agree - maybe part of that is cos everyone is expecting it so the wow factor will have worn off slightly, but also I don't think that he is the same keeper in the last few seasons and we may be getting a player on the slide. Yes he is better than what we currently have, and yes his experience and professionalism would be good for our squad, but I still don't class him as a huge signing and would be against paying over £10m for him - I would buy him for sure, but the scum bought a 25 year old Lloris for a basic £8m and there is no way we should be paying anymore than £10m for a 33 year old on 100,000 per week
So if it goes to £12m, you would walk away?

Stick with Chesney/Opsina? or sign who?

I've no idea how good Cech is these days but 33 is a good age and considering £12m doesn't get you much these days, I'd say spending that on a player who will get in the first team is decent.

Obviously buy someone better if we can... but who?

I support the idea of signing cech but only at the right price cos I feel that ospina has done enough to get a shot at the number 1 spot, and I still believe that Chesney has all the ability to become a top keeper (ironically playing under cech for a season might aid that development). Maybe my mindset is being influenced by the fact that I still feel that signing a top quality DM and top quality striker, should be classed as higher priorities than signing cech, and I fear that spending big on a keeper will prevent the required talent recruitment for those two positions :(

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Like I give a fuck what you think,thts not aimed at you BTW Augie.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

mcdowell42 wrote:Like I give a fuck what you think,thts not aimed at you BTW Augie.

Ha ha ha.
Spot on

WENGER OUT

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Top Londoner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:Like I give a fuck what you think,thts not aimed at you BTW Augie.

Ha ha ha.
Spot on

WENGER OUT

Thanks TL I think :lol:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

I think I agree with Augie, then I think of all the points having a decent keeper could potentially save us, not to mention the good it would do for my heart not fearing a goalkeeping howler every time a cross enters our box. Then I wonder, would a top quality DM potentially save us more points? In an ideal world we'd sign both, but in Wenger World, it's probably one or the other :(

donaldo71

Post by donaldo71 »

augie wrote:
g88ner wrote:
augie wrote:
rigsby wrote:Deal expected to be sewn up in the next 48 hours.

HUGE HUGE signing if this happens.

If you talking about cech then I cannot agree - maybe part of that is cos everyone is expecting it so the wow factor will have worn off slightly, but also I don't think that he is the same keeper in the last few seasons and we may be getting a player on the slide. Yes he is better than what we currently have, and yes his experience and professionalism would be good for our squad, but I still don't class him as a huge signing and would be against paying over £10m for him - I would buy him for sure, but the scum bought a 25 year old Lloris for a basic £8m and there is no way we should be paying anymore than £10m for a 33 year old on 100,000 per week
So if it goes to £12m, you would walk away?

Stick with Chesney/Opsina? or sign who?

I've no idea how good Cech is these days but 33 is a good age and considering £12m doesn't get you much these days, I'd say spending that on a player who will get in the first team is decent.

Obviously buy someone better if we can... but who?

I support the idea of signing cech but only at the right price cos I feel that ospina has done enough to get a shot at the number 1 spot, and I still believe that Chesney has all the ability to become a top keeper (ironically playing under cech for a season might aid that development). Maybe my mindset is being influenced by the fact that I still feel that signing a top quality DM and top quality striker, should be classed as higher priorities than signing cech, and I fear that spending big on a keeper will prevent the required talent recruitment for those two positions :(
£11m is the same we paid for Gervinho.It does my head in Arsenal fans saying they would be happy to sign Cech but only at the right price.Get fucking real getting a world class keeper for £11m is the buy of the century.

augie

Post by augie »

Being better than we have, and better than most of the keepers in the league, does not make him world class - he certainly was world class but whether he is still at that level remains to be seen. I know in the last few seasons many members on here have suggested that he has been on the decline and isnt the same keeper since he had that head injury, so even though I support the idea of buying him, I'm not willing to go throw all my chips in on this deal. I also feel that buying cech has to be the death knoll for both chesney and ospina's future in our club, and that would necessitate spending money on a 2nd keeper too - I know if we sold both then it would bring some cash into the coffers, but given le cock's inability to spot a good keeper, how confident are we that he could sign two in one summer ?

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

augie wrote:Being better than we have, and better than most of the keepers in the league, does not make him world class - he certainly was world class but whether he is still at that level remains to be seen. I know in the last few seasons many members on here have suggested that he has been on the decline and isnt the same keeper since he had that head injury, so even though I support the idea of buying him, I'm not willing to go throw all my chips in on this deal. I also feel that buying cech has to be the death knoll for both chesney and ospina's future in our club, and that would necessitate spending money on a 2nd keeper too - I know if we sold both then it would bring some cash into the coffers, but given le cock's inability to spot a good keeper, how confident are we that he could sign two in one summer ?
Cech has looked dodgy at times in comparison to his previous incarnation prior to the head injury. Still, he's quality and an upgrade on both of our keepers. If it was me, I'd go for Lloris but that doesn't appear to be on the cards.

Would it be the death knell for both keepers? Can't see both leaving in the same summer.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Not entirely what Cech you guys have been watching. He's still in the top 3 keepers in world football. This is up there with when United got Van Der Saar at 34. A world class Keeper for a cheapish price. A brilliant signing. I'm struggling with anyone who finds fault in this at all

augie

Post by augie »

rigsby wrote:Not entirely what Cech you guys have been watching. He's still in the top 3 keepers in world football. This is up there with when United got Van Der Saar at 34. A world class Keeper for a cheapish price. A brilliant signing. I'm struggling with anyone who finds fault in this at all

Van der saar signed for manure for £2m - £2m is a cheapish fee and you cannot liken it to the reported £11m-£12m fee for cech

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

signed him up Arsene - Proven winner and this is what our club needs.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Cheap then. Probably about the equivalent to now's money. And he was signed from Fulham not the league champions. Really struggling how you can't be stoked for this augie

augie

Post by augie »

rigsby wrote:Cheap then. Probably about the equivalent to now's money. And he was signed from Fulham not the league champions. Really struggling how you can't be stoked for this augie

Its not that I don't think that he would be a great signing cos I do, but I would be hesitant to pay over the top for him AND pay him 100k per week. Again I suppose it comes back all the time to my belief that I would prefer to see a quality DM and a quality striker before upgrading the keepers position - if we have the necessary funds at that stage then I would be 100% in agreement with the deal

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
rigsby wrote:Not entirely what Cech you guys have been watching. He's still in the top 3 keepers in world football. This is up there with when United got Van Der Saar at 34. A world class Keeper for a cheapish price. A brilliant signing. I'm struggling with anyone who finds fault in this at all

Van der saar signed for manure for £2m - £2m is a cheapish fee and you cannot liken it to the reported £11m-£12m fee for cech
In today's football, I'd say £11-12m is cheap for a player who will improve your starting XI.

Whether Cech improves our team or not is another matter. I can't say I've watched him much in recent seasons as I try and avoid Chelsea games :|

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

10-12 mil great value for a keeper with realistically 3-4 seasons left at the top (hopefully)

Is this happening? Would be class