Groundhog summer transfer window thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Raggy

Re: January transfer rumours thread

Post by Raggy »

Casillas will be 33 in May. How many productive years do we intend to get from him if we sign him? 3-4? Should we be looking that direction now?

Peace

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Raggy wrote:Casillas will be 33 in May. How many productive years do we intend to get from him if we sign him? 3-4? Should we be looking that direction now?

Peace
Especially when you've got a young keeper playing superbly

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

LDB wrote:
Raggy wrote:Casillas will be 33 in May. How many productive years do we intend to get from him if we sign him? 3-4? Should we be looking that direction now?

Peace
True, would seem an odd time to dump Chesney.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

g88ner wrote:
LDB wrote:

Peace
Why should it mean dumping Chesney? I thought we craved having 2 top class keepers. Everyone moaned like fuck when Almunia, Flapper and Mannone were the 3 choices before

LDB

Post by LDB »

SteveO 35 wrote:
g88ner wrote:
LDB wrote:

Peace
Why should it mean dumping Chesney? I thought we craved having 2 top class keepers. Everyone moaned like fuck when Almunia, Flapper and Mannone were the 3 choices before
It seems strange to me to sign a senior, experienced player who is disgruntled because he is sitting on Real Madrid's bench and then... bench him.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

LDB wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
g88ner wrote:
LDB wrote:

Peace
It seems strange to me to sign a senior, experienced player who is disgruntled because he is sitting on Real Madrid's bench and then... bench him.
Surely there would be an element of rotation and both of them would have to live with that. I'd certainly feel a lot more comfortable in the cup competitions knowing that one of these two were protecting our goal than the Almunia loan clone and Flappy

augie

Post by augie »

LDB wrote:

Peace

And who lately has gone back to showing the cocky pricking around mistakes that had every Gooner looking for an experienced keeper last summer. Personally I like Chesney and think that he could be a great keeper but at the same time, the teams priorities must come first so if casillas is an upgrade then we should sign him

armchair

Post by armchair »

Yet again we find ourselves ith just a few players short"

Its criminal that wenger has neglected the goalkeeping position for so long. How many points/trophies has this cost us alone?

Then theres the full back positions. Sagnas probably gonna leave.
That leaves jenko covering that position. Now I like jenco. He did well when bac was out for a while and believe he will come good. Very good.

Then theres hibbs and monreal. Neither of who fill me with confidence. Against city monreal seemed to be bombing forward waay too much leaving us exposed.
Gibbs is ok but relys a lot on kos using his pace to cover for him down that left side.
Then theres the cf position. Just totally inadequate. Giroud who I like. Yes he works hard, holds the ball up well and occupies defenders but we need a top quality world class cf. Not Bentner. Right now my first choice would be Rooney.

But we are a top four team wIth this sqad and some are happy to be just that. Wenger included. It suits him. No pressure to win anything. An easy life, just finish above spuds and pocket 6-8million. Job done

augie

Post by augie »

Is it just me or has the sagna situation disappeared altogether ? Isnt his contract still out next summer ? :? It will be nothing short of a fcuking disgrace if the c*nt allows sagna to walk away on a free :evil: :evil: :cussing: :cussing: :censored:

armchair

Post by armchair »

Yet again we find ourselves ith just a few players short"

Its criminal that wenger has neglected the goalkeeping position for so long. How many points/trophies has this cost us alone?

Then theres the full back positions. Sagnas probably gonna leave.
That leaves jenko covering that position. Now I like jenco. He did well when bac was out for a while and believe he will come good. Very good.

Then theres hibbs and monreal. Neither of who fill me with confidence. Against city monreal seemed to be bombing forward waay too much leaving us exposed.
Gibbs is ok but relys a lot on kos using his pace to cover for him down that left side.
Then theres the cf position. Just totally inadequate. Giroud who I like. Yes he works hard, holds the ball up well and occupies defenders but we need a top quality world class cf. Not Bentner. Right now my first choice would be Rooney.

But we are a top four team wIth this sqad and some are happy to be just that. Wenger included. It suits him. No pressure to win anything. An easy life, just finish above spuds and pocket 6-8million. Job done

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:Is it just me or has the sagna situation disappeared altogether ? Isnt his contract still out next summer ? :? It will be nothing short of a fcuking disgrace if the c*nt allows sagna to walk away on a free :evil: :evil: :cussing: :cussing: :censored:
As predicted Sanga will leave, and Jenkinson will be over promoted which will destabilise a defence that had been showing signs of developing into a decent unit. Still who wants a player over 30 eh......oh yeah probably most of the top teams in Europe

Chesney of course has only just been rewarded with a contract beyond his wildest dreams so the chance of another big earning keeper coming in is zero. Look forward to more Viviano types on loan and never will be's like Flapper

LDB

Post by LDB »

augie wrote:
LDB wrote:

Peace

And who lately has gone back to showing the cocky pricking around mistakes that had every Gooner looking for an experienced keeper last summer. Personally I like Chesney and think that he could be a great keeper but at the same time, the teams priorities must come first so if casillas is an upgrade then we should sign him
Not every gooner. I was happy with chesney as our number 1 in the summer. He got lucky fucking around against Sturridge but other then that I can't think of what you're referring to? The lad has had an outstanding season so far and considering goalkeeping across world football seems to be pretty dire at the moment (how much of that is down to the balls I have no idea) we should be trying to keep chesney confident, not bringing in someone picking up his pension and fucking about with a goalkeeper rotation policy..

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Sagna has been reported as in middle of negotiating a new contract.

He can play his part by playing as well as possible. I his form drops off I can see the club offering him a relatively low paid contract and it will give him the hint to leave.

If he does, then I think a replacement is essential, just cannot see how Jenkinson is good enough at this stage to be a starter.

augie

Post by augie »

LDB wrote:
augie wrote:
LDB wrote:

Peace

Not every gooner. I was happy with chesney as our number 1 in the summer. He got lucky fucking around against Sturridge but other then that I can't think of what you're referring to? The lad has had an outstanding season so far and considering goalkeeping across world football seems to be pretty dire at the moment (how much of that is down to the balls I have no idea) we should be trying to keep chesney confident, not bringing in someone picking up his pension and fucking about with a goalkeeper rotation policy..

Napoli away just before half time immediately springs to mind

armchair

Post by armchair »

Every time I think of Wengers +£1 insulting, devious, small-time and ever-so-clever (not) bid for Suarez it makes my blood boil.

Suarez's reaction after that bid proves that hed have come to us. If Wenger had offered a proper bid we have one of the best strikers in the world playing for us right now. Love or loathe him (and I cant stand him) hes fuckin brilliant!

After being totally insulted by Wengers piss-take there was absolutely no way Liverpool would let him come to us even if they wanted to.