Cesc - I had to leave

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Post by augie »

1989 wrote:
barnetgooner wrote:
1989 wrote: RvP is a legend as far as I'm concerned regardless of whether he stays or goes.
What has RvP done to be any more of a 'legend' than Cesc?
Robin is a class act who has served us so well and never involved himself with tedious will he won't he sagas or flirted with other clubs like a cheap whore whilst he was still employed by us. He's a proper leader too, a proper fighter who I've yet to see give less than 100% in any game. Same can't be said for that little twerp who was more interested in embracing his future team mates than fighting for us when we last played the diving twats.

Served us well when exactly ? As I said before, rvp has spent most of his time at the club on the injury list averaging 14 league games a season up to last season and there were many Gooners (of which I was one) who argued that we should cut our losses on him purely cos of his never ending injuries. It also must have slipped your attention that just 2 weeks ago the same rvp expressed concerns about signing a new contract at the club so I think the "will he wont he" saga is just beginning with him and given that prior to this season he has been missing for long periods of time I honestly dont think that he has done enough to be in a position to hold the club to ransom.

EC3

Post by EC3 »

augie wrote:So on that basis DB10, you are saying that chippy brady wasnt a legend either right ? I mean he was a great player that didnt play in a great team and I dont recall him interacting with us fans any more than cesc has :?
Correct in my book Brady isn't a legend, was a great player but a legend no.

Wasn't a Arsenal long enough to be one.

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

The question is do any of you think Cesc cares about being " an Arsenal legend"? You think RVP will care when he has the pick of Barca or Real this summer? Think Nasri cared?
What matters to Cesc and any footballer, is playing with the best players and winning things. At Barca, Cesc has to fight for his place. The fans are demanding, there's pressure to deliver and he's getting better for it.
RVP will go up a level by leaving Arsenal and playing with better players, and more demanding and ambitious managers.
"Arsenal legend" is a misnomer that only Arsenal fans care about.
Abou Diaby will conceivably be ten years at this club, whilst Anelka and Fabregas and Overmars stayed far less time.
Yet would that make Wenger's lover a legend?
No. It simply means he wasn't good enough to play elsewhere!

Carl Jenkinsob colulda stayed and became a Charlton legend but then decided he'd be moving up a few gears. Get me?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:So on that basis DB10, you are saying that chippy brady wasnt a legend either right ? I mean he was a great player that didnt play in a great team and I dont recall him interacting with us fans any more than cesc has :?
Well, no I didn't say that, augie...

I'm saying that it isn't any one thing that makes a player a legend in fans eyes but a combination of different things and often different things regarding different players.

I personally don't like Chippy having met the ignorant fucker but I think he is a legend at Arsenal because he was the one truly gifted world class player we had in that era. He was light years ahead of everyone else. At a time when other fans and the media slated Arsenal for being historically boring and/or lucky Chippy was the one player that had real skill and vision, the one player they all admired and we as fans tended to bask in that reflected glory as we had fuck all else to celebrate mostly.

There's also the little matter of the screamer he scored against the scum when we jocked them in the NLD and that goal resonates to this day with Gooners from that era, myself included.

Maybe Chippy's not as deserving of legendary status as some in some people's eyes but most Gooners from that time view him as a legend.

As for Cesc, great player and all, but he was also unlucky enough to come in at the tail end of the great 02 and 04 teams and DB10, PV4, RP7 and TH14 are hard acts to follow...