Citeh A Weds 26th Apr KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Thynker

Re: Citeh A Weds 26th Apr KO 8pm

Post by Thynker »

They didn't get much of a workout today

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

My source reckons the squad have been spooked by City’s form. Apparently we were laser focussed until the Liverpool game. When we dropped points at Anfield there was a lot of chatter about how good they were and we have basically shit the bed ever since.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

No workout at all Sheffield were overawed by them and their only hope was to get amongst them and they just stood off and let them pass it around them .
City could have won it with a third team and they didnt even have to raise a sweat .

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

It seems while City knew exactly what was required of them,rolling their sleeves up and putting teams away,we’ve done the total opposite,and shit our pants,it seems to still be in the Arsenal DNA from the late Wenger years where acceptable failure is allowed,it’s like “oh well we gave it our best but our best wasn’t good enough”:well it should be fucking good enough,this is Arsenal,not Bournemouth or crystal palace.

Grabbing second from a 4 team gaggle at the end of the season would have meant a decent year,but blowing an 8 point lead is sickening,we know it’s inevitable but it’s fucking sickening,and I don’t think some of our squad will ever come this close again at Arsenal

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

robbo10 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:24 am
It seems while City knew exactly what was required of them,rolling their sleeves up and putting teams away,we’ve done the total opposite,and shit our pants,it seems to still be in the Arsenal DNA from the late Wenger years where acceptable failure is allowed,it’s like “oh well we gave it our best but our best wasn’t good enough”:well it should be fucking good enough,this is Arsenal,not Bournemouth or crystal palace.

Grabbing second from a 4 team gaggle at the end of the season would have meant a decent year,but blowing an 8 point lead is sickening,we know it’s inevitable but it’s fucking sickening,and I don’t think some of our squad will ever come this close again at Arsenal
That's the truth. The banter era is still alive and well. We made light of it but the cringey celebrations for finishing 4th on the last day at Newcastle and West Brom in reality set the tone for all that has followed since. A constant lowering of standards in the 19 years since we won the league. 2nd become something to celebrate, then 4th, now it will be just getting back into the CL. This seasons flirtation with the title will be replaced with the top 4 trophy for the foreseeable

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

We will have turned into Spurs if the banter era has really returned. Memories of title wins decades in the past. 49 undefeated sung from the away end like some sort of clarion call about what we did before some people started supporting the club.

This is the time to nip this in the bud. Buck up and go for it.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:21 pm
My source reckons the squad have been spooked by City’s form. Apparently we were laser focussed until the Liverpool game. When we dropped points at Anfield there was a lot of chatter about how good they were and we have basically shit the bed ever since.
So what you're saying is that *word censored* xhaxa fucked us

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:00 am
We will have turned into Spurs if the banter era has really returned. Memories of title wins decades in the past. 49 undefeated sung from the away end like some sort of clarion call about what we did before some people started supporting the club.

We will only nip it in the bud when the club structure from owner, manager, captain and all staff demand it. I can already hear the voices saying how wonderful its been this season, and how we'd have outperformed all expectations etc. That might well be true but a winning club looks at as the pathway to winning things. A banter club calls it our best season in 19 years and settles for it. City were a banter club. Liverpool have spent 30 years being a banter club. Man Ure are becoming a banter club. When they appoint top managers, winners at every level and start winning things, they stop being banter clubs

Overcoming City's incredible riches isn't easy - we will know that. But in the past decade other clubs have stopped them winning the league every season since their first title in 2012 - Man Ure, Chelsea, Liverpool and Leicester.

I see us where Liverpool were 4-5 years ago. Had their best season in the PL for 30 odd years but missed out by 1 point to City. Do you congratulate yourselves for a close 2nd and it defines the club, or do you go harder the next season, and buy key players that see you take the next step. We don't have a proper leader like VVD was for them. We have flaky characters proving themselves to be mentally weak at the wrong time of the season.

I can't see us doing a Liverpool. I can see us returning to Wenger 2008-18

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Leicester??? :lol:

City finished 4th that season behind us and Spurs.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:13 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:21 pm
So what you're saying is that *word censored* xhaxa fucked us
Yeah. In as much.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:23 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:00 am

We will only nip it in the bud when the club structure from owner, manager, captain and all staff demand it. I can already hear the voices saying how wonderful its been this season, and how we'd have outperformed all expectations etc. That might well be true but a winning club looks at as the pathway to winning things. A banter club calls it our best season in 19 years and settles for it. City were a banter club. Liverpool have spent 30 years being a banter club. Man Ure are becoming a banter club. When they appoint top managers, winners at every level and start winning things, they stop being banter clubs

Overcoming City's incredible riches isn't easy - we will know that. But in the past decade other clubs have stopped them winning the league every season since their first title in 2012 - Man Ure, Chelsea, Liverpool and Leicester.

I see us where Liverpool were 4-5 years ago. Had their best season in the PL for 30 odd years but missed out by 1 point to City. Do you congratulate yourselves for a close 2nd and it defines the club, or do you go harder the next season, and buy key players that see you take the next step. We don't have a proper leader like VVD was for them. We have flaky characters proving themselves to be mentally weak at the wrong time of the season.

I can't see us doing a Liverpool. I can see us returning to Wenger 2008-18
I think we have gone under the radar a bit this season. Just don’t see us being allowed to play pretty triangles around defences next season.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

robbo10 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:24 am

Inevitable is what it is :cry: I've had people in work come up to me for months and ask "Arsenal's league this year surely?" My standard reply "Nah will we fuck,well bottle it..City will win it easing doon at the end" :cry: The man inside saying.. Please please fuckin pleeeease don't fuck this up Arsenal you cuuunts.. :cry: fucking sickening as you say :cry:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:31 am

Taking the contrary view. Shock horror :D

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:21 am
Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:31 am

Taking the contrary view. Shock horror :D
Nope just pointing out exaggerated inaccuracies. :wink: :lol:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:21 pm
No workout at all Sheffield were overawed by them and their only hope was to get amongst them and they just stood off and let them pass it around them .
City could have won it with a third team and they didnt even have to raise a sweat .
If that was us, the media would have had Sheffield well up for getting stuck in, showing steel, not giving Arsenal time on the ball, leaving you foot in, etc, etc