Hillsborough Report

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
flash gunner

Re: Hillsborough Report

Post by flash gunner »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:HEYSEL

Justice for the 39
Was there a single liverpool fan named/convicted of chasing those poor italians into that wall?

Not from what I recall........time for a new inquiry
I can not remember either.... Convieniently forgotten

barnetgooner

Post by barnetgooner »

Trippyarsenal wrote:
FYI the Taylor report stated as fact that the leppings lane end was not overfull and contain around the same number of people as tickets sold
This is true, however given there was such a crush outside, surely there was still hundreds if not thousands outside who never got it? I've never seen an analysis of the total who were there trying to get in, which is surely important.

Trippyarsenal

Post by Trippyarsenal »

A quick google search tells me 14 scousers were convicted of manslaughter, in fairness not enough for what was a disgusting act but the point remains Hillsborough was caused by policing and this was covered up for 23 years, please don't tell me no Arsenal fan has ever jumped a gate to gain entry to a ground, how about the old scam at wembley where you could gain entry to the same standing area as your mates by simply waiting for one to meet you on the concourse outside with the tickets of people who had already gained entry ? The game back then was full of scams, bribery and corruption which the authorities turned a blind eye to.
My main gripe with this thread and I will not change is that on a day like yesterday in particular some of these comments are in real bad taste and IMHO are once again smearing the dead innocent who as we know did nothing wrong other than turn up early to support their club in a semi final, their but for the grace of god and all that chaps

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

No one on this thread has smeared the dead they were all innocents who as you said turned up early and with tickets, the ones with blood on their hands are the ones who turned up late and/or without tickets and forced their way through gates.

No one comes out of this with any credit the Police, The FA, the Sun and even to a degree the liverpool fans (not including the innocent ones)

Criminal charges should be brought against the police for the falsifying of evidence which is disgusting but they arent the only guilty party.

and why are liverpool fans still doing it today? As with examples of Athens and the Grove

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Trippyarsenal wrote:A quick google search tells me 14 scousers were convicted of manslaughter, in fairness not enough for what was a disgusting act but the point remains Hillsborough was caused by policing and this was covered up for 23 years, please don't tell me no Arsenal fan has ever jumped a gate to gain entry to a ground, how about the old scam at wembley where you could gain entry to the same standing area as your mates by simply waiting for one to meet you on the concourse outside with the tickets of people who had already gained entry ? The game back then was full of scams, bribery and corruption which the authorities turned a blind eye to.
My main gripe with this thread and I will not change is that on a day like yesterday in particular some of these comments are in real bad taste and IMHO are once again smearing the dead innocent who as we know did nothing wrong other than turn up early to support their club in a semi final, their but for the grace of god and all that chaps
Are you a Liverpool fan? You read exactly like one, fingers in ears, don't want to accept the truth, just the Liverpool version. Blame the police (who, yes, were partly responsible) blame the Sun, blame everyone, but Christ no don't blame the scumbag fans that turned up late with no tickets and crushed their fellow innocent fans to death.

And I'd advise you to quit with the unfounded accusations too - no one on here has "smeared the dead innocent".

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Off course he's a Liverfool supporter.

augie

Post by augie »

Trippyarsenal wrote:A quick google search tells me 14 scousers were convicted of manslaughter, in fairness not enough for what was a disgusting act but the point remains Hillsborough was caused by policing and this was covered up for 23 years, please don't tell me no Arsenal fan has ever jumped a gate to gain entry to a ground, how about the old scam at wembley where you could gain entry to the same standing area as your mates by simply waiting for one to meet you on the concourse outside with the tickets of people who had already gained entry ? The game back then was full of scams, bribery and corruption which the authorities turned a blind eye to.My main gripe with this thread and I will not change is that on a day like yesterday in particular some of these comments are in real bad taste and IMHO are once again smearing the dead innocent who as we know did nothing wrong other than turn up early to support their club in a semi final, their but for the grace of god and all that chaps

So cos fans of other clubs "shared" tickets or climbed walls that means that it is ok ? :shock: Are you now saying that by doing that they didnt break the law ? Are you saying that such actions played no part in this tragedy ? You must be a bin dipper cos you dont half talk some shite :roll:

shu

Post by shu »

I can't find the Friday joke thread ?

Trippyarsenal

Post by Trippyarsenal »

Yeah you got me their guys and my covers blown, I only have an Arsenal season ticket so I get to see my beloved Liverpool play once a year.
How heartbreaking it must be some people on this thread to think that maybe just maybe the Liverpool fans for once were the wronged party, oh and by the way I ain't the one who's got my fingers in my ears, have you not seen the news in the last couple off days, or seen how the Sun, the South Yorkshire police, The FA and even the prime minster (the bloke running the country so not too high up the chain of command)have all made grovelling apologies.

Also re compensation why exactly is it that the only people who got paid any was the police officers who made a mint when the insurers found their bosses negligent, every single one of those families deserve a fair payout for the costs, stress and heartbreak they have suffered

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Trippyarsenal wrote:Yeah you got me their guys and my covers blown, I only have an Arsenal season ticket so I get to see my beloved Liverpool play once a year.
How heartbreaking it must be some people on this thread to think that maybe just maybe the Liverpool fans for once were the wronged party, oh and by the way I ain't the one who's got my fingers in my ears, have you not seen the news in the last couple off days, or seen how the Sun, the South Yorkshire police, The FA and even the prime minster (the bloke running the country so not too high up the chain of command)have all made grovelling apologies.

Also re compensation why exactly is it that the only people who got paid any was the police officers who made a mint when the insurers found their bosses negligent, every single one of those families deserve a fair payout for the costs, stress and heartbreak they have suffered

I'm sorry but no amount of payout is going to bring their loved ones back and give them closure and justice, no amount of money.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

I think you have to look at the fact that the late comers were directed in the main enterance when there were 2 other entrances either side of the main one, where they could easily have entered without problems. People without tickets was common in the 80s, I bunked in many a time. It went on in most grounds at that time due to terracing etc.

The main issue I have was the fences put up, had they not been there those people wouldn't have died.

The handling of the situation was diabolical, and its shameful that the establishment shifted such blame on supporters.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

rigsby wrote:I think you have to look at the fact that the late comers were directed in the main enterance when there were 2 other entrances either side of the main one, where they could easily have entered without problems. People without tickets was common in the 80s, I bunked in many a time. It went on in most grounds at that time due to terracing etc.

The main issue I have was the fences put up, had they not been there those people wouldn't have died.

The handling of the situation was diabolical, and its shameful that the establishment shifted such blame on supporters.

Yeah, but the scousers need to accept that the way they were treated was a direct result of their conduct at Heysel and the fact that their actions that day led to the deaths of 39 people. They can't keep this victim mentality when they themselves are a club and fan base associated with hooliganism leading to deaths. What annoys a lot of people is the fact that all we ever hear about is Hillsborough, never Heysel, with even the supposedly impartial media afraid to mention it for fear of upsetting the Miseryside mafia and bringing on another Sun style boycott. Yes, justice and truth are needed but let's not forget it took that club 20 years to even publicly acknowledge Heysel and issue a pathetic 'apology' because they faced each other in Europe and feared reprisals.

Monkeymaw

Post by Monkeymaw »

Weren't many of the fans late to the ground due to roadworks on the M62 that were not advertised?
Been in a few scary "crush" situations at football and this could have happened to any set of fans back then.
The authorities looked down on all of us not just the scousers.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

flash gunner wrote:
Trippyarsenal wrote:Anyone who was at games in the 80's will have stories to tell of how fans were treated, this could have happened to any club.
I was going to games in the 80's i was even at Arsenal the day of Hillsbrough and youre right it could have happened to anyone going to football at that time but why didnt it? Why was liverpool involved in 2 of the worst footballing tragedies in history within 4 years of eachother? Coincidence? bad luck?

I was at highbury that day too 1st game i was ever at,i remember standing on the northbank beside a guy who was listening to a radio when the news came thru,at the time i turned to my uncle and remember saying the liverpool fans were rioting again,this was b4 i knew exactly what was happening.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

flash gunner wrote:
SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:HEYSEL

Justice for the 39
Was there a single liverpool fan named/convicted of chasing those poor italians into that wall?
flash. yes.

i remember the faces on the front page of the sun. if my memory is right a dozen or so were extradited to belgium and 2-3 convicted over there and two released back to HMP's. i remember the fuss that just one lad was kept in prison and hundreds got off scot free...

no CCTV in those days.

to be honest i can remember hundreds if not a thousand, gooners 'running' down Highbury Hill into the scousers leaving the ground below us. even the old bill legged it. and i can remember another season that as we were emptying the clockend one of the gates in the fence came down and hundreds of lads running across the terraces at them.

in either case, terrified scousers could have stampeded in terror with fatal results.

i do think it was a coincidence - leppings lane was the only end with a tunnel coming up into the middle of the terrace. If you remember other tight wide terraces they either had entrances at either end of the terrraces or like OT scoreboard or Loftus rd's paddock/tea bar terrace, the cops would fill the front of the furthest pens first, back fill it, then open the next pen and so on.

we used to take what 4-5000 away to OT with no bother because the stewarding was spot on.

Leppings lane was a unique design in England i'm sure of it. all others had open ends or one or more entrances at the back that led to concourses where crammed supporters could be pushed back into to relieve the crowd pressure - i know cos at one ground that happened to me and i just walked round back along the concourse to where the fans were surging in and joined the queue at the back- a cup game i think ?

& i'm not apologising for the scousers. a nasty lot they were and still are. knifing thieving *word censored* the lot of them. :wink: