Citeh A Weds 26th Apr KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Citeh A Weds 26th Apr KO 8pm

Post by SteveO 35 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:03 am
robbo10 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:24 am
It seems while City knew exactly what was required of them,rolling their sleeves up and putting teams away,we’ve done the total opposite,and shit our pants,it seems to still be in the Arsenal DNA from the late Wenger years where acceptable failure is allowed,it’s like “oh well we gave it our best but our best wasn’t good enough”:well it should be fucking good enough,this is Arsenal,not Bournemouth or crystal palace.

Grabbing second from a 4 team gaggle at the end of the season would have meant a decent year,but blowing an 8 point lead is sickening,we know it’s inevitable but it’s fucking sickening,and I don’t think some of our squad will ever come this close again at Arsenal
Inevitable is what it is :cry: I've had people in work come up to me for months and ask "Arsenal's league this year surely?" My standard reply "Nah will we fuck,well bottle it..City will win it easing doon at the end" :cry: The man inside saying.. Please please fuckin pleeeease don't fuck this up Arsenal you cuuunts.. :cry: fucking sickening as you say :cry:
Exactly. There are seasons where City haven't been at their best and whether it's Leicester, Liverpool Man Ure or Chavski....teams have found a way to get the job done. Never at any point have I thought we have the mental strength to deal with it. It's quite clear from 30 odd games that it isn't about talent or ability. It's about not having the right characters for the moment

As I said elsewhere - lack of leadership is what it's all about. The 91 team were packed with leaders and despite the best leader and captain ever spending a few weeks inside, the rest of the players rallied round and got it done. I hear some right old bollocks on here sometimes too about how refs and the FA have got it in for us. Well I can assure everyone we were much more hated back then and even had the FA luvvies deduct 2 points from our total. Imagine the wet fannies if that happened to us now!

No Arsenal team in 15 years has had the balls to get it done. When Vieira kicked that winning penalty in the 05 Cup final, the last proper on field leader left a gaping leadership hole out there. It took 9 years to get an FA Cup win under our belts and never since then have we vaguely looked like winning the league. When we've had better seasons it has always been these last view weeks where the team has folded- 09 and 16 especially

Is it a coincidence that it's always us? I don't think so. I remember that 16 season well and see us fuck it up no sooner had we beaten Leicester and become favourites to win the league. We folded pathetically and with every passing game, I'd look at the body language every time we conceded or dropped a point and it told you we had no chance of winning the league....exactly as it is today. When the oppo go a goal up or pull 2 goals back you might as well hook Odegaard there and then...and yes he did score against bottom of the league Southampton at home....before those of such inclination post a one line barb with a smiley face after it. Lets see him do that on Weds night eh or at Anfield

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Has anyone just totally lost interest? Drawing with Southampton in that fashion, having been 3-1 down with minutes to play. It’s just totally shown how far off we are. To need to come back against the bottom side. At home. I am actually still incredulous at what we witnessed on Friday.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

I remember when Leicester won it......Wenger petulantly snapped at reporters that we had done our job ie. beaten Leicester home & away. The inference was that if the other teams hadn't capitulated to Leicester Arsenal would have won the title. It wasn't his teams fault, the other teams failed us. That is how he would spin the endless failures, that is the mindset he instilled at Arsenal. It is still there, we gave it and go, and whatever the outcome, that is good enough. He instilled a mid-table mentality at the club.

And I've just read that we are guaranteed to finish above spurs for the first time in 6 years, that will be the celebration. Be interesting to see how Arteta reacts to the collapse. Wenger would have spun it into a victory, maybe blamed the other teams for "not doing their job"

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:59 pm
Has anyone just totally lost interest? Drawing with Southampton in that fashion, having been 3-1 down with minutes to play. It’s just totally shown how far off we are. To need to come back against the bottom side. At home. I am actually still incredulous at what we witnessed on Friday.
Ramsdale got the ball rolling. Came out cock a hoop, got rocked back on our heels, then conceded another and woke up, as I said we would, in the 85th minute. It is totally, totally unacceptable. And starting Viera was just self-harm. In fact having him in the team is self-harm.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:43 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:59 pm
Ramsdale got the ball rolling. Came out cock a hoop, got rocked back on our heels, then conceded another and woke up, as I said we would, in the 85th minute. It is totally, totally unacceptable. And starting Viera was just self-harm. In fact having him in the team is self-harm.
To me even a draw at City and to drop minimal points was impossible. People talk about 89 which was a one off game. We also had a team that could defend and disciplined experienced pros. We haven’t a prayer in the League. Not a single prayer.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Don't suppose there is any (Good) news on Saliba??? :?

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:33 pm
Don't suppose there is any (Good) news on Saliba??? :?
No......in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he's out for the season. Anyway, he won't be match fit, especially for a game of this intensity. What would the plan be, ease him back in on 70 minutes when we are 3-0 down?

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Could require an operation.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:33 pm
I remember when Leicester won it......Wenger petulantly snapped at reporters that we had done our job ie. beaten Leicester home & away. The inference was that if the other teams hadn't capitulated to Leicester Arsenal would have won the title. It wasn't his teams fault, the other teams failed us. That is how he would spin the endless failures, that is the mindset he instilled at Arsenal. It is still there, we gave it and go, and whatever the outcome, that is good enough. He instilled a mid-table mentality at the club.

And I've just read that we are guaranteed to finish above spurs for the first time in 6 years, that will be the celebration. Be interesting to see how Arteta reacts to the collapse. Wenger would have spun it into a victory, maybe blamed the other teams for "not doing their job"
I and hopefully others, are not interested in finishing above Spurs in 6 years. They finished above us and did what with that result? Changed 3 managers and depleted that team to being a joke.

Our competition isn't with them, frankly, if this season ends without the title - it's not a failure but it's massive missed opportunity. People who will try to shift the goalpost in 'we shouldn't challenge for the title' 'our goal was only CL' and etc are lost. You can't defend it in any other way than say 'we had a lead, we missed opportunities against teams we should've put the game to bed and Saliba's injury caused a bit of a crisis'. Embrace the failure in retaining the lead we had, it happens.

We didn't bottle it because City were NEVER out of the title race. They just have/had the ability to lose points but still march on and that comes down to experience/depth and skills of that team. We do not have that. We had shaky results after losing to Everton. Shaky results after losing a spot in the final 8 of the EL. We became shaky once we drew to LIV from 2-0 up.

These are the things you do not get with Man City. They are the ones that will lose/draw a game and the opposition for the week after will be shitting bricks because you will get a spanking. They always get a bad result and then beat the next side by a ridiculous margin

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

We'll need to beat City because St.James Park is going to be a real test.
They've moved from their defensive football and are now scoring goals for fun

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Thynker wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:27 pm
We'll need to beat City because St.James Park is going to be a real test.
They've moved from their defensive football and are now scoring goals for fun
We have to do both. As it stands we already have to do both. :lol:

scotgooner

Post by scotgooner »

What’s not spoken about enough is that they are dirty horrible cheating bastards.

I hope the PL absolutely relegate fuck out them.

Horrible dirty shit plastic undeserving team.

Despise them. Will need a Valium to calm me down on Wednesday.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

scotgooner wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:21 pm
What’s not spoken about enough is that they are dirty horrible cheating bastards.

What you do is beat them. Don’t bottle it away to West Ham and home to Saints. Because we’ve bottled it we are back to bemoaning their cheating.

scotgooner

Post by scotgooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:33 pm
scotgooner wrote:

What you do is beat them. Don’t bottle it away to West Ham and home to Saints. Because we’ve bottled it we are back to bemoaning their cheating.
Regardless of our own shortcomings they are still cheats. They potentially (hopefully) win honours by cheating. Like any other sport that will give you a massive advantage over anyone else.

I’m the first to accept we are feeling the pressure and should do better but it doesn’t excuse corrupt cheating.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

scotgooner wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:48 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:33 pm
scotgooner wrote:

Regardless of our own shortcomings they are still cheats. They potentially (hopefully) win honours by cheating. Like any other sport that will give you a massive advantage over anyone else.

I’m the first to accept we are feeling the pressure and should do better but it doesn’t excuse corrupt cheating.
Agreed. But because we have bottled it we are back to blaming their cheating. We could have beaten them if we’d just not shit the bed.