VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BobbyPires7

Re: VAR

Post by BobbyPires7 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 7:01 am
Poor old Anthony Gordon crying about VAR.

There were no tears when it helped him cheat us.
What goes around, comes around. The bloke has also built a nice reputation for sticking his leg into positions it shouldn’t be in order to win a penalty. The bloke’s a cheat.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

It works well in other European leagues, it works well at the Euros, it works well at the world cup........yet it's an absolute shambles in the premier league.

Strange that :rubchin:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:02 am
It works well in other European leagues, it works well at the Euros, it works well at the world cup........yet it's an absolute shambles in the premier league.

The only strange thing is that more people haven't come out and directly accused the Premier League and FA of outright sabotage. I called this from the start - they never wanted it and have set about proving it doesn't work, knowing that the neanderthals involved in English football will start calling for it to be scrapped...which is what is about to happen

Be careful what you wish for - we were on the end of far worse refereeing decisions prior to VAR and it will go back to that

The corrupt fucking idiots have won

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 9:58 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 7:01 am
Poor old Anthony Gordon crying about VAR.

There were no tears when it helped him cheat us.
What goes around, comes around. The bloke has also built a nice reputation for sticking his leg into positions it shouldn’t be in order to win a penalty. The bloke’s a cheat.
https://x.com/abbey1878/status/1790856903687340467?s=61

:lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:04 pm
rodders999 wrote:

The only strange thing is that more people haven't come out and directly accused the Premier League and FA of outright sabotage. I called this from the start - they never wanted it and have set about proving it doesn't work, knowing that the neanderthals involved in English football will start calling for it to be scrapped...which is what is about to happen

Be careful what you wish for - we were on the end of far worse refereeing decisions prior to VAR and it will go back to that

No way do I agree with that bit in red. No way. Every team was on the receiving end of bad decisions by refs and linesmen before VAR. With the exception of the amount of times certain teams like the victims* and manure were gifted dodgy decisions this mostly balanced out over a season. At the time, pre-VAR you'd feel either the ref got it wrong or he cheated you but you could at least accept if he got it wrong honestly back then as it was because of the speed of the game. You could accept that and get over it.

After VAR, certain teams are still getting gifted dodgy decisions (victims*, cheateh, scum) so no change there, but now the element of "honest" refereeing mistakes is gone. There is no more excuse that it happened too fast. They can watch multiple slo mo replays over and over AND THEY STILL GET THE DECISION WRONG.

That to me is worse. Far worse. Now you feel properly cheated.

So we are in a position where the wrong decisions are still being made even though every fucking cùnt and his cousin can see it on the screen. Add to that we now also have the spontaneous joy of a goal celebration taken away from us.

I'd take back the old days of refereeing mistakes over this current hideous VAR bollocks every day of the week.

This agenda you have Steve that it must be good because it's technology is too simplistic. And I don't mean that as an insult mate. Its not a black and white technology or no technology question. I think technology works to different levels in each sport. The slow boring shit like rugby can have tonnes of tech because slowing that "sport" down makes no difference, it is already a slow tedious boring shit sport.

But football is too fast and fluid and is ruined by slowing the game and constantly breaking up the play to review this and review that. The other side of that coin is the goal line technology works perfectly. It's instant, involves no reviews and replays in slo mo etc.

So it's not a question of technology or no technology for me. Its a question of what technology is appropriate to making the game better and not ruining it as a spectacle.

VAR has ruined football for the majority of viewers.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

VAR is w*nk

That is all

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:29 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

No way do I agree with that bit in red. No way. Every team was on the receiving end of bad decisions by refs and linesmen before VAR. With the exception of the amount of times certain teams like the victims* and manure were gifted dodgy decisions this mostly balanced out over a season. At the time, pre-VAR you'd feel either the ref got it wrong or he cheated you but you could at least accept if he got it wrong honestly back then as it was because of the speed of the game. You could accept that and get over it.

After VAR, certain teams are still getting gifted dodgy decisions (victims*, cheateh, scum) so no change there, but now the element of "honest" refereeing mistakes is gone. There is no more excuse that it happened too fast. They can watch multiple slo mo replays over and over AND THEY STILL GET THE DECISION WRONG.

So we are in a position where the wrong decisions are still being made even though every fucking cùnt and his cousin can see it on the screen. Add to that we now also have the spontaneous joy of a goal celebration taken away from us.

I'd take back the old days of refereeing mistakes over this current hideous VAR bollocks every day of the week.

This agenda you have Steve that it must be good because it's technology is too simplistic. And I don't mean that as an insult mate. Its not a black and white technology or no technology question. I think technology works to different levels in each sport. The slow boring shit like rugby can have tonnes of tech because slowing that "sport" down makes no difference, it is already a slow tedious boring shit sport.

But football is too fast and fluid and is ruined by slowing the game and constantly breaking up the play to review this and review that. The other side of that coin is the goal line technology works perfectly. It's instant, involves no reviews and replays in slo mo etc.

So it's not a question of technology or no technology for me. Its a question of what technology is appropriate to making the game better and not ruining it as a spectacle.

I still maintain there's a place for VAR and if we dug up some posts from years gone by when we felt hard done by, you could call up any number of posters on here saying enough was enough. I go back to Auba's goal at OT that was proven to be yards onside but of course being at the Theatre of Streams the lino couldn't wait to flag it and VAR exposed him for the incompetent/corrupt c.unt he was - otherwise we would have lost

Where I agree VAR has been shit is this pathetic nonsense with the drawing of the little micro thin lines to determine if someone's toenail is 1mm in an offside position relative to the defenders shoelace. Its pathetic and it should NEVER have been implemented that way to start with. The rule should be if it can't be decided within 30 seconds then the original decision stands. These 4-5 minute stoppages when we freeze frame the precise moment it leaves someone's boot and whether the width of a boot stud has strayed offside is the obvious sabotage to start with - just don't do it!!!!!

Technology in other sports works and by the way it's harder to make work! I'd say a decision as to whether a significantly smaller ball in tennis, moving at 140mph is fractionally outside the tramline is way harder to judge than a bloody offside. Likewise its possible to tell in cricket whether a ball moving at 100mph has fractionally snicked the outside of the bat. These are harder technologies! What cricket has done well is to have a referral system, so tell me why can't football do that? 2 reviews each, and if you lose them trying it on with stupid appeals then tough fuck when a decision goes against you after that. Its long since been accepted in cricket and it leaves the captain with a decision to make - was that really out, or deep down do I know it wasn't and therefore not going to waste everyone's time with a needless delay and referral

Football has it within its gift to introduce VAR in a way that works. It has chosen to implement it in a frankly ludicrous way (which the other sports could have done too) because it never wanted it to start with.

I'd like to know why a "two referrals" per team system couldn't work, supported by a rule that says if the video evidence is inconclusive after 30 seconds then the original decision stands. What's so bad about that?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:17 am
VAR is w*nk

That is all
Yaaaaay! Flash Mate Where's Ya Bin??? :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:45 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:29 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

I still maintain there's a place for VAR and if we dug up some posts from years gone by when we felt hard done by, you could call up any number of posters on here saying enough was enough. I go back to Auba's goal at OT that was proven to be yards onside but of course being at the Theatre of Streams the lino couldn't wait to flag it and VAR exposed him for the incompetent/corrupt c.unt he was - otherwise we would have lost

Where I agree VAR has been shit is this pathetic nonsense with the drawing of the little micro thin lines to determine if someone's toenail is 1mm in an offside position relative to the defenders shoelace. Its pathetic and it should NEVER have been implemented that way to start with. The rule should be if it can't be decided within 30 seconds then the original decision stands. These 4-5 minute stoppages when we freeze frame the precise moment it leaves someone's boot and whether the width of a boot stud has strayed offside is the obvious sabotage to start with - just don't do it!!!!!

Technology in other sports works and by the way it's harder to make work! I'd say a decision as to whether a significantly smaller ball in tennis, moving at 140mph is fractionally outside the tramline is way harder to judge than a bloody offside. Likewise its possible to tell in cricket whether a ball moving at 100mph has fractionally snicked the outside of the bat. These are harder technologies! What cricket has done well is to have a referral system, so tell me why can't football do that? 2 reviews each, and if you lose them trying it on with stupid appeals then tough fuck when a decision goes against you after that. Its long since been accepted in cricket and it leaves the captain with a decision to make - was that really out, or deep down do I know it wasn't and therefore not going to waste everyone's time with a needless delay and referral

Football has it within its gift to introduce VAR in a way that works. It has chosen to implement it in a frankly ludicrous way (which the other sports could have done too) because it never wanted it to start with.

I'd like to know why a "two referrals" per team system couldn't work, supported by a rule that says if the video evidence is inconclusive after 30 seconds then the original decision stands. What's so bad about that?
But the two referrals system isn't technology, its procedure. And one I've agreed with since VAR came in. It's the only way VAR can work. Give each manager two opportunities to request a VAR review of an incident and that's it. They'll be loathe to waste those two opportunities and won't fuck about with Stupid calls.

The other difference between tennis and cricket tech and football is its really only the ball those two techs deal with, a simple spherical shape. Whereas in football alot of the decisions are based on the complexities of the human body and its position and movement, then you add in the complexity of "intent".... it is much more complicated to use that tech in football than any other sport.

But for me it's a simple question of: was football more enjoyable before VAR? And the answer is a resounding yes. I don't really care about perfection, this need to have perfect decisions in every game. I care about the sport as an enjoyable watchable spectacle. VAR has ruined that.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:57 am
flash gunner wrote:
VAR is w*nk

That is all
Still here mate just not HERE ... If that makes sense

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Maybe the PL referees are not that bad :lol:

https://x.com/john_mcal/status/17912169 ... yx5an1PoIQ

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 12:02 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
VAR is w*nk

That is all
:D

Good to know you're okay ... If that makes sense :lol: :wink:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

They could also improve it by making the laws more simple . Take offside for instance forget about a stray arm a big nose or a toe nail lets have gap at the feet only . Get rid of the leaning player . if his feet are in front it’s offside .
We have goal line sensors why not touchline sensors too , No more Willock confessions and subs to warm up behind the goal. Against Bayern when they hit the post the lino was 3 yards behind play trying to get past their subs on the touchline. From where I was, in line, the player that took the shot was off but as it didn’t go in there was no check.
Also scrap the ruling out goals for a foul in the build up . That’s what the ref is for . If he doesn’t whistle then play on. Put the responsibility on the ref and not let him rely on someone having a cup of tea in a shed 20 miles away. Make him more aware of his responsibilities and let football get back to being spontaneous.
Lastly as we have 1 ref ,2 linesmen , 1 4th official and two on VAR how about 1 of them counting the little fouls that stop teams attacking usually on the halfway mark . City in particular are good at this should 1 player commit 3 of these niggles the counter should advise a yellow card and the game would flow better .
Add your own thoughts as to how we make VAR viable .

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 2:14 pm
They could also improve it by making the laws more simple . Take offside for instance forget about a stray arm a big nose or a toe nail lets have gap at the feet only . Get rid of the leaning player . if his feet are in front it’s offside .
We have goal line sensors why not touchline sensors too , No more Willock confessions and subs to warm up behind the goal. Against Bayern when they hit the post the lino was 3 yards behind play trying to get past their subs on the touchline. From where I was, in line, the player that took the shot was off but as it didn’t go in there was no check.
Also scrap the ruling out goals for a foul in the build up . That’s what the ref is for . If he doesn’t whistle then play on. Put the responsibility on the ref and not let him rely on someone having a cup of tea in a shed 20 miles away. Make him more aware of his responsibilities and let football get back to being spontaneous.
Lastly as we have 1 ref ,2 linesmen , 1 4th official and two on VAR how about 1 of them counting the little fouls that stop teams attacking usually on the halfway mark . City in particular are good at this should 1 player commit 3 of these niggles the counter should advise a yellow card and the game would flow better .
Add your own thoughts as to how we make VAR viable .
Good suggestions. My two penneth is the inconsistency of refereeing. Even within a game you can get one half where everything is allowed and then invariably Arsenal make a soft foul and it’s a yellow. I think VAR should be able to award yellows and conversely take them away.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

flash gunner wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 12:02 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
VAR is w*nk

That is all

Tbh Flash, most of us on here, are not all there.
:lol: