ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by the playing mantis »

i for one think this white signing is a complete waste of resources and will be crap.

i haven't seen him play knowingly, i havent much followed football live on tv this year so much, so i shouldn't make a judgment really, but i haven't heard his name mentioned at all despite reading the reports in the paper most days over the season, or seen artciles hyping him up as a big thing, i first heard of him when he was called up for the explanded euro squad, as im sure many others on here will have. he wasnt on anyones radar.

we need options in attack. we have a young supposedly talented player who we are not using already at the club.

he fits in with artetas style of play the athletic piece says...whatever the fuck that is.

all those points bother me and lead me to my conclusion that he will be crap and a waste of money, mostly the fact arteta wants him to fit in with his style. all going well arteta will have been sacked a month into the season, so this is a waste of cash on a no mark player who no one else wants. he looks lightweight too.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

the playing mantis wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:09 pm
i for one think this white signing is a complete waste of resources and will be crap.

i haven't seen him play knowingly, i havent much followed football live on tv this year so much, so i shouldn't make a judgment really, but i haven't heard his name mentioned at all despite reading the reports in the paper most days over the season, or seen artciles hyping him up as a big thing, i first heard of him when he was called up for the explanded euro squad, as im sure many others on here will have. he wasnt on anyones radar.

we need options in attack. we have a young supposedly talented player who we are not using already at the club.

he fits in with artetas style of play the athletic piece says...whatever the fuck that is.

all those points bother me and lead me to my conclusion that he will be crap and a waste of money, mostly the fact arteta wants him to fit in with his style. all going well arteta will have been sacked a month into the season, so this is a waste of cash on a no mark player who no one else wants. he looks lightweight too.

I’ve done a bit of looking the last few days and he is a ball playing center back - looks really comfortable on the ball, quick and happy to take the ball forwards if space opens up.

He is a huge upgrade on Rob Holding playing the ball out, far more comfortable on the ball than David Luiz

£50m is a big, big outlay on him, particularly with other area’s potentially needing upgrading as a priority - Right back particularly.

If it is our only purchase, it will change little, if it is one of 4 or 5 then he may well be a good piece of the jigsaw puzzle that is needed to make a complete team.

augie

Post by augie »

Ridiculous comment from that athletic article gooner265 put up

"While David Luiz is capable of playing that role, neither he nor Rob Holding — or indeed, William Saliba — are especially comfortable covering that channel. It is no surprise that Arteta has targeted nimble, agile, technically-gifted centre-halves. In this system, they need to replicate some of what you’d expect from a full-back.

White, then, looks a good fit. For most of last season, he played as the right-sided centre-back in Brighton’s back three. He has the technical ability to operate in the confined spaces of the outside channel, and the speed to defend there if the move breaks down"

Anyone who has watched saliba even once will see a guy that is fast and agile, and the implication that he isnt is born from a total lack of knowledge on the guy - scout him and assess him and come back and slate him over defensive issues if they are there, but this article reads like something planted by someone at the club to justify spending that much on a centre back when we already have a boat load of them :roll:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BBC:

Arsenal are in advanced talks with Brighton over a deal for England defender Ben White, 23, that could be worth in excess of £50m. (Sky Sports)

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

the playing mantis wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:09 pm

think hes an upgrade on the dross we had previously....but dont see him as the commanding prescence we need and yes looks lightweight.....

looks like we are paying the premium price because hes an English squad player.....

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Times say William Saliba is expected to leave either on loan or permanently. Rob Holding is likely to be available for sale despite signing a new deal until 2024 in January. #Arsenal https://t.co/9sbglJkcJC

wibble

Post by wibble »

gooner265 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:02 pm
The signing of Ben White is expected to be followed by that of Anderlecht midfielder Albert Sambi Lokonga, with player sales to take priority afterwards. Mikel Arteta & Edu are focused on adding Premier League proven players to the squad. [@ChrisWheatley_] #afc https://t.co/wPuFGcsAbe
By signing someone from Anderlecht :roll:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

wibble wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:49 am
gooner265 wrote:
The signing of Ben White is expected to be followed by that of Anderlecht midfielder Albert Sambi Lokonga, with player sales to take priority afterwards. Mikel Arteta & Edu are focused on adding Premier League proven players to the squad. [@ChrisWheatley_] #afc https://t.co/wPuFGcsAbe
I'm OK with this , we need to get ahead of the game and sign young plabefore they develop into 30m plus players, something Leicester do very well.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Talksport saying Grealish off to City for 100 million

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

gooner265 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:11 am
wibble wrote:
gooner265 wrote:
I'm OK with this , we need to get ahead of the game and sign young players before they develop into 30m plus players, something Leicester do very well.

augie

Post by augie »

gooner265 wrote:
wibble wrote:
gooner265 wrote:
I'm OK with this , we need to get ahead of the game and sign young plabefore they develop into 30m plus players, something Leicester do very well.

We were signing young players but pep's water boy doesnt want to play them - honestly I wouldnt trust this c.unt to buy a loaf of bread at the local bakery :roll:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:16 am
gooner265 wrote:
wibble wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

We were signing young players but pep's water boy doesnt want to play them - honestly I wouldnt trust this c.unt to buy a loaf of bread at the local bakery :roll:
there seems to be talk of interest in another striker......would think Martinelli will be off if thats the case....

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:16 am
gooner265 wrote:
wibble wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

But not young players he signed, every manager has their own preferences.
As I said before he has no excuses this year , it will be his team and will have nowhere to hide.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

wibble wrote:
gooner265 wrote:
For the recired, Lukaku, Kompany , Tielemans came from Anderlecht amongst others.

augie

Post by augie »

wibble wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

Signing proven premier league players - like who ? White has 36 premier league appearances to his name and he was playing in the championship in the 19/20 season, so he is hardly proven. Signing proper proven premier league players costs money - more money than we will pay that's for sure. What premier league proven player would join us in the first place ? Signing players from other leagues will be a lot easier cos the wages alone would be a big attraction, but any player playing in the premier league will have seen first hand what an absolute shitfest our club is in, and proven players will want to join a better club that has ambition and also has a proven quality manager.

I honestly dont want us to sign another player or sell another player as long as this useless basque c.unt is our manager - man is incapable of judging players, totally incapable of in game management, and will basically ruin any good young players that he has to work with