ARE ARSENAL STILL A BIG CLUB?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Are Arsenal FC Still a Big Club?

YES
55%
NO
45%

Total votes: 47

skipper

Post by skipper »

We never won Champions League, so really calling us a BIG club is streching it too far.

NO big club would keep manager in job after 8 goals conceeded, to say the least.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

skipper wrote:We never won Champions League, so really calling us a BIG club is streching it too far.

NO big club would keep manager in job after 8 goals conceeded, to say the least.
You dont need to win the champions league to be a big club, thats ridiculous. If winning the premier european competition is a vital component of being a big club then Forest are bigger than Arsenal, dont be daft!

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

Babatunde wrote:Here's another excercise I thought of:

Imagine there was an aggregate transfer market in which all players were for sale. What do you think the cumulative worth of the Arsenal squad would be compared to a big club?

Cos I personally think they'd fetch even less than Spuds, Everton and Newcastle squads.

RVP should be worth far more but there's s reason no big club has had a proper punt on him. I think the only player in that whole squad with Amy serious transfer value is Wilshere. Chesney? No chance, plenty of competent young keepers about.

Thoughts?
This would be down to form surely? if you are judging RIGHT NOW after the recent performances then of course a lot of players have questionable value.

Look at Hleb - rubbish at times but had a good spell and Barca snapped him up.

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

True this can be down to form. But even off form there are certain players who are worth serious amounts. The fact is, Wenger being unsackable is a massive indication that one man has become bigger than the club.
And that simply does not happen at any big clubs
*no one has yet to answer Wenger's comments on Arsenal not being a big club if Cesc and Nasri left*
:oops:

skipper

Post by skipper »

safcftm wrote:
skipper wrote:We never won Champions League, so really calling us a BIG club is streching it too far.

You dont need to win the champions league to be a big club, thats ridiculous. If winning the premier european competition is a vital component of being a big club then Forest are bigger than Arsenal, dont be daft!
Name a BIG European club that haven't won Champions League?

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

skipper wrote:
safcftm wrote:

Roma?

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

skipper wrote:
safcftm wrote:

Skipper makes a very valid point imo

I think the fact that there is such a split on whether Arsenal are a big club or not is proof enough that perhaps we quite simply are not? If you asked about ManYoo or Pool it'd be unanimous.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Name a BIG European club that haven't won Champions League
Barcelona only won it in 1992 for the first time.If we had beat them in that final we would have been 1-1 with them. They were still huge before that.

In terms of Arsenal's involvement its not terrible that we haven't won the European cup. These things can take time. Are Porto bigger than us? No. Dortmund? No.
Last edited by rigsby on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

arseofacrow wrote:
skipper wrote:
safcftm wrote:

Roma?
Roma are not a big club. Never have been.
Until Capello won them that league they'd done sod all for over 17 years. And prior to that they'd done sod all again. They had one very good spell in the early 80s but sorry mate they ain't a big club!

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

skipper wrote:
safcftm wrote:

Valencia
Roma
Chelsea
Arsenal
Atletico Madrid
Lazio
Sporting Lisbon

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Babatunde wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:
skipper wrote:
safcftm wrote:

Roma?
Until Capello won them that league they'd done sod all for over 17 years. And prior to that they'd done sod all again. They had one very good spell in the early 80s but sorry mate they ain't a big club!
No offence mate, but I won't take your word as gospel.

Newcastle have more value in their squad than ours

8)

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

Babatunde wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:
skipper wrote:
safcftm wrote:

Roma?
:lol: :lol: :lol: so haway then, whats your criteria for a big club since a side with a 72,000 capacity stadium, 3 league titles and 9 domestic cup titles dont count

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

rigsby wrote:
Name a BIG European club that haven't won Champions League
Barcelona only won it in 1992 for the first time.If we had beat them in that final we would have been 1-1 with them. They were still huge before that.

In terms of Arsenal's involvement its not terrible that we haven't won the European cup. These things can take time. Are Porto bigger than us? No. Dortmund? No.
Rigsby mate I think the question was to name a single big club that HADN'T WON IT. Not clubs that had but who we were bigger than?? He has a very strong point. No big club has no CL/Euro cup....

You're right about Barca but they still had one. The rest is 'ifs' and 'buts' afraid mate... :(

skipper

Post by skipper »

safcftm wrote:
skipper wrote:
safcftm wrote:

Valencia
Roma
Chelsea
Arsenal
Atletico Madrid
Lazio
Sporting Lisbon
Arse and Chavsky aside, all of those might be BIG clubs in their own countries, but in European terms they are mediocre at best...

As for Chavsky, 10 years ago they were not BIG club in England not even in London, now all of sudden they're supposed to be BIG European club? I'm afraid not.

Anyway, I started very very similar thread two years ago...we seem to be stuck in some sort of time capsule...

http://www.onlinegooner.com/phpbb2/view ... light=club

:roll:

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

arseofacrow wrote:
Babatunde wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:
skipper wrote:
safcftm wrote: You dont need to win the champions league to be a big club, thats ridiculous. If winning the premier european competition is a vital component of being a big club then Forest are bigger than Arsenal, dont be daft!
Roma?
No offence mate, but I won't take your word as gospel.

Newcastle have more value in their squad than ours

8)
Was it said affirmatively though?

And also, can you actually refute my point that Roma are not a big club?
I suspect you can't mate. How can a club with just 3 Serie A titles be called a big club! They also don't have a single official European title. Big club? Please mate....with all due respect....

And Sunderland man I disagree on Lazio, Atletico, and Valencia being big clubs. No chance in hell are any of those big clubs. Atletico were relegated under Jesus Gil!!!! Valencia is close, they have a few titles but again, how many people would mention them as big clubs when asked?
Lazio??? They have just Two Serie A titles in their history and have won just two major trophies in the past 35 years.
Course you're more than entitled to your view mate, just don't agree with it....

When I say Big Club I mean ManYoo, I mean Bayern, I mean Inter, I mean AC Milan, I mean Barca, I mean Real, I mean AC Milan....

I'd say over the past ten years if you look at trophies etc, there is a Devil's advocate case to say that Chelsi can now possibly be considered a bigger club than Arsenal. Like I said: devil's advocate case here....

:twisted: