THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
TeeCee

Re: WENGER - Views For and Against.

Post by TeeCee »

He's finally admitting that 'maybe' they have been arrogant in thinking the CL spot was nailed on!!
Well Arsey old pal, I wonder where the players get that arrogance from? Could it be from the most arrogant, ego driven man in football Mr Wonga??
Looks like he is signing, so it's 2 more years of Sanogoal in attack, Diaby getting a new contract and 45 muscular injuries a season.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I cant believe some people on here think Wenger is under any pressure at all. If we come 5th, the board will talk about it being one bad season, and he will get a new contract anyway, as for the FA cup, as if silent Stan cares if we win a trophy that earns him little or no money. The only way pressure will ever be put on Wenger is when the fans start to turn against him, and that isn't happening any time soon. Just go to YouTube and look up Arsenal fans TV, to see some of the idiots after the Wigan game, talking about Wenger being vindicated, and saying the players need to win the cup for him, that is the mind-set after beating a championship team on penalties, so don't expect those fans to change any time soon.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BFG4 wrote:I cant believe some people on here think Wenger is under any pressure at all. If we come 5th, the board will talk about it being one bad season, and he will get a new contract anyway, as for the FA cup, as if silent Stan cares if we win a trophy that earns him little or no money. The only way pressure will ever be put on Wenger is when the fans start to turn against him, and that isn't happening any time soon. Just go to YouTube and look up Arsenal fans TV, to see some of the idiots after the Wigan game, talking about Wenger being vindicated, and saying the players need to win the cup for him, that is the mind-set after beating a championship team on penalties, so don't expect those fans to change any time soon.
All true, unfortunately. I've said it many times on here, those of us that want him gone are still in the minority. Certainly it's a minority that has grown hugely over the last couple seasons and will continue to grow, but it is still a minority. :|

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

BFG4 wrote:I cant believe some people on here think Wenger is under any pressure at all. If we come 5th, the board will talk about it being one bad season, and he will get a new contract anyway, as for the FA cup, as if silent Stan cares if we win a trophy that earns him little or no money. The only way pressure will ever be put on Wenger is when the fans start to turn against him, and that isn't happening any time soon. Just go to YouTube and look up Arsenal fans TV, to see some of the idiots after the Wigan game, talking about Wenger being vindicated, and saying the players need to win the cup for him, that is the mind-set after beating a championship team on penalties, so don't expect those fans to change any time soon.
totally agree with this.
for me the key thing that has happened in the last month was that Kroenke came out and gave Wenger his backing.
Kroenke's view is that this season came off the rails due to the injuries that the team have had but that Wenger had done a fantastic job in being able to challenge for so long. It is on that basis that he will have been offered a new contract. The remaining results are irrelevant and anyone thinking otherwise is deluding themselves.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the latest comments from Wenger are worrying when you think about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27027362

this implies that all talk of the title in the last month was lies and what they were really focused on was finishing top 4.
my view is that when we won at WHL the view was that top 4 had been secured and Wenger was quite happy for the team to coast along for the rest of the season. this therefore explains the sloppy attitude v Chelsea the folllowing week. We were never really going for the league at that point, the job as far as the club was concerned had already been achieved Wenger only saw a possible threat from United and Spurs. He didn't take into account an ambitious young manager at Everton.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:the latest comments from Wenger are worrying when you think about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27027362

this implies that all talk of the title in the last month was lies and what they were really focused on was finishing top 4.
my view is that when we won at WHL the view was that top 4 had been secured and Wenger was quite happy for the team to coast along for the rest of the season. this therefore explains the sloppy attitude v Chelsea the folllowing week. We were never really going for the league at that point, the job as far as the club was concerned had already been achieved
You have just posted a key part of our annual business plan. :|

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

I think the tide had turned significantly this season. Whilst it might not be as many on here in terms of abuse and name calling (or wanting him found dead, hanging from the end of a rope) a lot have supporters have had their eyes opened, ironically enough because we were actually in the title race (nominally at least) come February / March. The failure to add sufficiently to the squad in the summer, at all in January, in tandem with a league that was far more winnable than it has been in previous seasons has made his failings and mistakes evident to many who were still wearing Arsene blinkers.

It made me sad watching him on Sky yesterday, talking about the fact we don't need to strengthen up front in the summer ('Giroud has a tremendous mentality', 'Ozil is like a half forward', 'we will have Walcott back') He has actually become a parody of himself, like a Spitting Image puppet coming out with tired cliches that everyone can see through.

I hope we get fourth, win the FA cup and then he leaves with the little bit of dignity he has left. I dont think that will happen, and I think things will get very nasty in the summer.

topcat

Post by topcat »

Hes going. My mate whos an everton fan said that moyes was always meant to be signing a new contract and never put any doubts into the fans minds that he wasnt going to...then he left for man united as we all know.

The same things happening to wenger.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

The offer will be there. It always has been and it always will be. I do admit that it is difficult to reason why he hasn't signed it yet. But then again trying to find logic with Wenger is rarely easy.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i think he hasn't signed it because when we were top and in two cups he thought it wasn't an issue. then we swallow dived down the table and fell out of the CL.

poor foresight and bad preparation.

ironic.

Despite his senility and obvious complete bonkersness, i like to think that he still has some decency left and will just now realise he missed his chance to sign when the house of cards was still holding up, and will leave with some dignity.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

clockender1 wrote:i think he hasn't signed it because when we were top and in two cups he thought it wasn't an issue. then we swallow dived down the table and fell out of the CL.

ironic.

Despite his senility and obvious complete bonkersness, i like to think that he still has some decency left and will just now realise he missed his chance to sign when the house of cards was still holding up, and will leave with some dignity.
I have seen plenty of quotes from Wenger, talking about next season, so I doubt he will be leaving. As for having any decency, he clearly doesn't. He is arrogant beyond belief, and you can be sure when the next fuck up happens, he will throw the toys out of the pram, for anyone who dares question him. This is the man that said in 2009 that he would leave, if he didn't win anything in 2 years, well five years down the line, he is still here, any decency he had has long since evaporated.

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

BFG4 wrote:
clockender1 wrote:i think he hasn't signed it because when we were top and in two cups he thought it wasn't an issue. then we swallow dived down the table and fell out of the CL.

ironic.

I have seen plenty of quotes from Wenger, talking about next season, so I doubt he will be leaving. As for having any decency, he clearly doesn't. He is arrogant beyond belief, and you can be sure when the next fuck up happens, he will throw the toys out of the pram, for anyone who dares question him. This is the man that said in 2009 that he would leave, if he didn't win anything in 2 years, well five years down the line, he is still here, any decency he had has long since evaporated.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 051143.stm

Wenger pleads for fans' patience

Arsene Wenger has admitted that if Arsenal do not end their trophy drought in the next "one or two years" his strategy for the club will have failed.

The Gunners have not won anything since 2005, but team boss Wenger called on supporters to rally behind his team.

"If we do not deliver in one or two years I will be responsible," said the Frenchman, whose contract runs to 2011.

"It is the most important moment in the life of this club and we have to be strong now and support this team."

Wenger was speaking at a question and answer session with Arsenal shareholders at the Emirates Stadium.

Questions for such events usually have to be pre-submitted, but on this occasion the floor was open and the Arsenal manager was involved in a couple of heated exchanges with disgruntled supporters.

Having overseen a fourth consecutive season without silverware, he faced some fierce scrutiny over his transfer policy, team selection and tactics.

The 59-year-old made an impassioned defence of his players, hit out those who have taken to haranguing them at home games and was particularly stung by claims they lack the stomach for a battle.

"It is the easiest thing to sit in the stands and say they are not good enough, that they do not fight," said Wenger. "It is always that negative way of thinking, that the players do not care.

"We are playing in the best league in the world and you do not go 21 games unbeaten if you do not stand up and fight.

"What these players have done this year in a negative environment shows they can stand up for their own responsibilities.

"At the moment what this team needs is the support of the fans. I must say there is a massive difference between the away fans, who are absolutely fantastic, and the home fans."

One shareholder was applauded for expressing a desire to see striker Emmanuel Adebayor - scorer of 30 goals last season and 16 this term - sold in the summer.

"Adebayor is a great player and has done fantastically well for the club," Wenger responded. "He was the most sought-after player last year - all the big clubs wanted him and it will be the same again.

"When we bought him nobody knew him and he became a great player. Players are quickly singled out and you realise how good a player is when they have gone.

"At this level, when players don't do well it's because they've lost their confidence. The only way to help a guy who has lost confidence is to help him again and again. But by slaughtering him you don't help him."

Wenger reacted angrily to a suggestion that 31-year-old defender Mikael Silvestre was a "geriatric".

"I cannot accept that you speak about the players of your club like that," he said. "You are attacking the players and that is much worse [than attacking me]."
Arsenal fans at the Emirates Stadium
Arsenal supporters have had little to cheer this season

While confirming that Arsenal would be bolstering their squad in the forthcoming transfer window, Wenger dismissed concerns over the quality of his current crop.

"If tomorrow we say we have to sell the players do you want to know how many clubs would want to sign them?" said Wenger, referring specifically to Alexandre Song, Abou Diaby and Theo Walcott.

"They have a huge value and if they go somewhere else, in two or three years you will say to me 'why did you let them go?'.

"They are great players and they will show you that they are great players.

"We are going in the right track and everyone at the club is convinced we are doing the right thing.

"If we do not get there next year or the year after then you can say this was not the right way."

Arsenal reached the FA Cup and Champions League semi-finals and, provided they come through a qualifying round, will contest Europe's premier club competition for a 12 successive season next term after guaranteeing fourth place in the Premier League.

The revenues from their 60,000-seater stadium have placed them among the world's richest clubs and Wenger is optimistic.

"This season has not been disastrous at all," he added. "One day you will look back and say it was not as bad as people thought.

"But the most important thing is that, structure-wise, the club is in a fantastic situation.

"We have built a massive new stadium and maintained this club at the top, top level in Europe and I'm very proud of that. The future of this club is great."

+++

Arrogant and smug beyond belief!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

remigardeshair wrote:I think the tide had turned significantly this season. Whilst it might not be as many on here in terms of abuse and name calling (or wanting him found dead, hanging from the end of a rope) a lot have supporters have had their eyes opened, ironically enough because we were actually in the title race (nominally at least) come February / March. The failure to add sufficiently to the squad in the summer, at all in January, in tandem with a league that was far more winnable than it has been in previous seasons has made his failings and mistakes evident to many who were still wearing Arsene blinkers.

It made me sad watching him on Sky yesterday, talking about the fact we don't need to strengthen up front in the summer ('Giroud has a tremendous mentality', 'Ozil is like a half forward', 'we will have Walcott back') He has actually become a parody of himself, like a Spitting Image puppet coming out with tired cliches that everyone can see through.

I hope we get fourth, win the FA cup and then he leaves with the little bit of dignity he has left. I dont think that will happen, and I think things will get very nasty in the summer.
Precisely, I stopped receiving the managers email a couple of years ago - as it was the same bollox week in week out.

I destest hearing the same shit he comes out with about mental strength, spirit and the rest of the claptrap so I turn off or over when he is being interviewed.

The more he is criticised by people who can see through the lies and bullshit, the more stubborn and obstinate he becomes to prove he is right and everyone else is wrong - to the detriment of our club :banghead:

FROWN

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

"Arsene Wenger has admitted that if Arsenal do not end their trophy drought in the next "one or two years" his strategy for the club will have failed."

What.
The.
Fuck.

His "strategy" has failed year after year since 2008 definitely, and probably really since 2006. How many years ago were we asked to "judge me in May"?? Oh, he actually really did mean "Judge me in May, some year in the future at my choosing"! :roll: :|

Also, how is selling your best players on the cheap, then wasting millions and millions on improved and extended contracts for shit players a strategy?! :x :roll: :x

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

What is 'funny' is that people / Gooners keep using the term 'Arrogant' to describe Wenger.

F.F.S !! He's French what else do you expect?

Okay so he's now totally Tonto and has an inbuilt loop tape (recently upgraded to a MP3 Solid State Chip with No Moving Parts ) That continually refers to

Leetlul beet jayded

Trumendoos spirit

mentull Strenff

Apparently Gazidis has also been fitted with one of these - programmed to automatically Lie!