THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Theoperator

Re: WENGER - Views For and Against.

Post by Theoperator »

Block93 wrote:0-1 after 82 minutes at Wembley, conceding first goal to West Ham last night - I was at the games and you could just hear it, and then it changes round, and then **** me, Palace win at Everton, and City cock it up, and so I am watching Bale score the winner for Real, and so elated at Tony Pulis, and the great Barca losing and winning nothing, that I am forgetting he played for Spurs and that Wenger isn't any good and we've only got 25,000 tickets for the Final and I've been to three away games but got tickets direct from other clubs so I am in the Mugs Ballot, and and I think well I'd give him another season if he spends the money and just hoping we don't **** it up at Hull.

But apart from all that, a quiet evening in.
Thats what is SO SO annoying about The Arsenal this season in particular, just a couple of better efforts in 4 or 5 matches and we would have been up there- Chavs home, Baggies away Saints away Manure home and away, extra 9 points and bingo, double on the way..... :banghead: :banghead:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:I am constantly torn on the pro v anti Wenger debate on here and in other arenas of debate. I simply cannot agree with people who slate this guy to the level that some do. He does not deserve to be called such things a "useless c unt" and Arsene Wanker etc. I honestly think that the guy deserves much better than that. Not only did this man revolutionise a club that was going nowhere, he changed the whole approach to football across Europe. We would likely be a Newcastle/Tottenham/West Ham type club playing in an increasingly derelict stadium and praying for a place in the Europa league had he not come along.
His tenure has had a very clear split in the success factor. The first 9 years were awesome with us playing the best football this league has ever seen. The second has sadly been a massive let down. We'll never know the real reasons behind the lack of investment in the team (although many people are happy to throw the total blame at his feet). Is it the board, Wenger, or a combination of both? Whichever it is is not acceptable as the club made a very clear statement when they said that "Moving to this new stadium will enable us to compete with the biggest clubs in the transfer market".That just hasn't happened. The tactical ineptitude shown at times though is disastrous. The dogged determination that plan A will always work is niaive to say the the least. It may have been possible with Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira, Henry etc. but not with the teams post '06. We needed a plan B and he failed to provide it. That is totally down to him.

My position on this is simple.....

"Arsene, thank you so much for everything you have done for this club during your time here, but it is time to move on and give us an injenction of new blood at the top. Good luck wherever you go".
I'm of similar opinion on this, Spuddy. I'll ALWAYS love and respect him for what he did for us 1997-2006. I find the level of hatred for him on here is OTT tbh. I want him gone, God how I want him gone, but I can't bring myself to hate him, no matter how much he frustrates me.
The reason I dislike Wenger so much, is simple. He has spent the last number of years, lying to the fans, and doing so while earning a wage that is completely undeserved. He makes comments towards the fans that have contributed towards the hatred I have for him, my favourite being when he suggested that fans who are paying extortionate prices to go to the Emirates, should go to the game, and then judge whether it was worth the price they paid, this coming form a man earning 7.5 million a year. He has also redefined what success is, by pretending that finishing in the top 4 is success, rather than admitting that he isn't up to the job, and walking away. There is a pretence that Wenger is some honourable man, but he is really isn't, and anyone who is dragging The Arsenal down, just so he can keep earning his big wage, deserves all the hate he gets.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

we really have reached the lowest ebb now.

Joe cole mocking us for no trophies. Joe Cole FFS - the useless talentless fat pikey has more medals than the entire Arsenal team :

that picture should go in the dressing room, and on Wengers desk, and on every AKB's bedroom door....

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:censored:

MrT

Post by MrT »

Hate is a bit strong, it's more of an intense dislike on every level for reducing one of the few passions I have in life to complete apathy. You see people, life is short, it's about enjoying the little things you love and when one of those things is being slowly eroded by a deluded senile fuckwit it rubs me the wrong way.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

ONE ARSENE WENGER......THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

topcat

Post by topcat »

What annoys me is that I've told several people in real life that I wouldn't mind wenger staying and NEVER been called a "deluded akb *word censored*" or anything like that. They respect my opinion differs theirs. Yet online I get it all the time!! says a lot about these people really that call wenger all sorts over their computers. :roll:

Another thing is when they assume wenger had millions and millions to spend in January and just decided not to strengthen. :? I can understand totally people criticising wengers tactics and have no problem with that because I do myself, but if you think ANYONE would "just decide" not to spend the 100's of millions they've got in the bank to spend then wake up, you should surely be able see that there's more to it than that? :banghead:

Lastly is when you all quote what "akbs" say in a patronising way...

"be careful what you wish for"
"I'm not an AKB but...."
"whos guna replace him?"

YET THE THINGS THAT THE "WOBS" COME OUT WITH ARE REPEATED OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

You're the ones that come up with the same bollox all the time!!!!!! :banghead:

Say what you like to me, i'm not going to say "I told you so" to anyone when it happens but we are going downwards in the league table when he goes in my opinion. YES, downwards. So make the most of CL football next season for years to come cos I think he's leaving in may.

markyp

Post by markyp »

topcat wrote:What annoys me is that I've told several people in real life that I wouldn't mind wenger staying and NEVER been called a "deluded akb *word censored*" or anything like that. They respect my opinion differs theirs. Yet online I get it all the time!! says a lot about these people really that call wenger all sorts over their computers. :roll:

Another thing is when they assume wenger had millions and millions to spend in January and just decided not to strengthen. :? I can understand totally people criticising wengers tactics and have no problem with that because I do myself, but if you think ANYONE would "just decide" not to spend the 100's of millions they've got in the bank to spend then wake up, you should surely be able see that there's more to it than that? :banghead:

"I'm not an AKB but...."
"whos guna replace him?"

YET THE THINGS THAT THE "WOBS" COME OUT WITH ARE REPEATED OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

Say what you like to me, i'm not going to say "I told you so" to anyone when it happens but we are going downwards in the league table when he goes in my opinion. YES, downwards. So make the most of CL football next season for years to come cos I think he's leaving in may.
ive told people to their faces,nearly had a punch up too,lucky for them I don't fight with animals especially sheep :box:

MrT

Post by MrT »

topcat wrote:What annoys me is that I've told several people in real life that I wouldn't mind wenger staying and NEVER been called a "deluded akb *word censored*" or anything like that. They respect my opinion differs theirs. Yet online I get it all the time!! says a lot about these people really that call wenger all sorts over their computers. :roll:

"I'm not an AKB but...."
"whos guna replace him?"

Are you a bit thick? That's exactly what happened. £120m in the bank and he brought in a 32 yr old journeyman crock when we desperately needed world class reinforcements.

It's pathetic the lengths people will still go to defend him when all the evidence is there to see what a complete and utter fuck up he is.
Last edited by MrT on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

BFG4 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:I am constantly torn on the pro v anti Wenger debate on here and in other arenas of debate. I simply cannot agree with people who slate this guy to the level that some do. He does not deserve to be called such things a "useless c unt" and Arsene Wanker etc. I honestly think that the guy deserves much better than that. Not only did this man revolutionise a club that was going nowhere, he changed the whole approach to football across Europe. We would likely be a Newcastle/Tottenham/West Ham type club playing in an increasingly derelict stadium and praying for a place in the Europa league had he not come along.
His tenure has had a very clear split in the success factor. The first 9 years were awesome with us playing the best football this league has ever seen. The second has sadly been a massive let down. We'll never know the real reasons behind the lack of investment in the team (although many people are happy to throw the total blame at his feet). Is it the board, Wenger, or a combination of both? Whichever it is is not acceptable as the club made a very clear statement when they said that "Moving to this new stadium will enable us to compete with the biggest clubs in the transfer market".That just hasn't happened. The tactical ineptitude shown at times though is disastrous. The dogged determination that plan A will always work is niaive to say the the least. It may have been possible with Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira, Henry etc. but not with the teams post '06. We needed a plan B and he failed to provide it. That is totally down to him.

My position on this is simple.....

"Arsene, thank you so much for everything you have done for this club during your time here, but it is time to move on and give us an injenction of new blood at the top. Good luck wherever you go".
I'm of similar opinion on this, Spuddy. I'll ALWAYS love and respect him for what he did for us 1997-2006. I find the level of hatred for him on here is OTT tbh. I want him gone, God how I want him gone, but I can't bring myself to hate him, no matter how much he frustrates me.
The reason I dislike Wenger so much, is simple. He has spent the last number of years, lying to the fans, and doing so while earning a wage that is completely undeserved. He makes comments towards the fans that have contributed towards the hatred I have for him, my favourite being when he suggested that fans who are paying extortionate prices to go to the Emirates, should go to the game, and then judge whether it was worth the price they paid, this coming form a man earning 7.5 million a year. He has also redefined what success is, by pretending that finishing in the top 4 is success, rather than admitting that he isn't up to the job, and walking away. There is a pretence that Wenger is some honourable man, but he is really isn't, and anyone who is dragging The Arsenal down, just so he can keep earning his big wage, deserves all the hate he gets.

You forgot the disdain shown to the shareholders at the AGM a couple of years ago, who dared to question why we were selling our best players, were a shadow of our former team and basically a bit crap - Wenkers respsonse was along the lines of "what are they moaning about their share prices have risen they should be grateful to me " :censored:

These shareholders could have sold out for a huge profit, but they prefer to retain share sin the club they love unreservedly - not money loving :censored: who couldn't wait to sell out their custodianship

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

topcat wrote:Another thing is when they assume wenger had millions and millions to spend in January and just decided not to strengthen. :? I can understand totally people criticising wengers tactics and have no problem with that because I do myself, but if you think ANYONE would "just decide" not to spend the 100's of millions they've got in the bank to spend then wake up, you should surely be able see that there's more to it than that? :banghead:
Well, we burnt £42m on Özil so yeah, we had money to spend. Walcott's injury could've been covered with ease but instead we signed a crocked Kallstrom on loan.

Are we contractually obliged to only sign midfielders?

Post by 1989 »

All because of one man. Wenger has divided the fans and I bet he doesn't give a flying fuck about it.

officepest

Post by officepest »

Demun210 wrote:
1989 wrote:All because of one man. Wenger has divided the fans and I bet he doesn't give a flying fuck about it.
This is exactly the kind of nonsense I'm talking about.

Ultimately we're not doing ourselves any favours by being a negative fanbase, and while I agree we should voice criticisms, I think we've got to realise there's a point where need to remember we're supporters and those frustrations can take a back seat at certain times.
Yep, blame the fans. It's ingrates like us that don't know how lucky we are to continually fail to properly invest and watch our title challenge collapse like England's middle order.

It's the common fan who needs to be held accountable for our inability to progress past the last 16 of the Champs league too.

We don't know how good we have it.

I accept that the abuse Wenger gets on here can go overboard but I very much doubt Wenger reads the OG, what with him spending 24/7 identifying players for us to sign.

officepest

Post by officepest »

Demun210 wrote:
officepest wrote:
Demun210 wrote:
1989 wrote:All because of one man. Wenger has divided the fans and I bet he doesn't give a flying fuck about it.
This is exactly the kind of nonsense I'm talking about.

Ultimately we're not doing ourselves any favours by being a negative fanbase, and while I agree we should voice criticisms, I think we've got to realise there's a point where need to remember we're supporters and those frustrations can take a back seat at certain times.
Yep, blame the fans. It's ingrates like us that don't know how lucky we are to continually fail to properly invest and watch our title challenge collapse like England's middle order.

It's the common fan who needs to be held accountable for our inability to progress past the last 16 of the Champs league too.

We don't know how good we have it.

I accept that the abuse Wenger gets on here can go overboard but I very much doubt Wenger reads the OG, what with him spending 24/7 identifying players for us to sign.
You're missing my point completely.
I hate Black Grape.

TurnipMasher

Post by TurnipMasher »

Demun210 wrote:The trouble with all this constant bickering amongst the fans is that it makes the general experience of being around / interacting with Arsenal fans really tiring these days. Even though we all support Arsenal, we need to accept that different supporters have different expectations and enjoyment from that support.

Take this season, you've got the fan who would find a season where we spent part of it top of the league, an FA cup final and possible top 4 finish as a decent season, and then you're going to have the other fan who see's it as another failure. The fact that in the stands, on forums such as this, Twitter etc, these fans are more often than not getting pissed off with eachother, it's making for a really poisonous feeling amongst Arsenal fans.

I keep coming on here seeing the same things over and over again about AWOB, AKB's etc etc, it's all pathetic and ultimately we're all bringing eachother down.
So what would you have us do? I agree that some of the crap that goes on is OTT, and there is no way I would come to actual physical blows with anyone over who manages our team, but surely reasonable debate is not out of the question?
Some of us on here are sick to the core of seeing Arsenal mismanaged and devalued (in a footballing sense) and have every right to voice an opinion, for whatever good it will do.

TurnipMasher

Post by TurnipMasher »

topcat wrote:
I think any reasonable fan would expect us to go backwards when someone new takes over, but I personally think that's preferable to maintaining the status quo. We are going nowhere as a football club, and even if we do drop out of the CL at least with a new manager there will be hope that thing will change for the better in the next season, as we have seen the same behaviour patterns with Wenger for far to long to think that he is capable of doing anything differently.

As for wanting him to stay, I'm genuinely curious as to why you want this. How many 6-3, 5-1, 6-0, 3-0 drubbings with no discernible tactical input from Wenger will it take to convince you that he is not up to the job anymore?