Old gits terrace legends

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Old gits terrace legends

Post by StuartL »

Lee1 wrote:Remember the 4-2 Norwich game so well. Packed in our end- portakabin toilets, remember having to stand guard whilst my ex wife had to go to the toilet!

Was there that day too, cracking match from memory, :lol:

afcforever

Post by afcforever »

One night going down to the Tiverton estate near seven sisters, and a very well known face jumping up and down on a three wheeler like Del boys, and the roof caving in. Anyone else there :)
Last edited by afcforever on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

exiledgooner wrote:some memories here

a few days before the totts had a fa cup replay against wolves and for some reason i went along with some totts mates

was at the top of the north bank when something kicked off over by the east stand. some arsenal apparently lobbing rocks over the wall :lol:

totts fans started singing arsenal outside, arsenal outside alo alo for the first time i joined in with a totts song changing one little word

happy days 8)
Firm of 30 met in the Tavern after KO, someone kindly even left a few building skips complete with rubble, on the East Stand corner on Avenell Road so we could distribute them over the wall towards the swampdwellers :barscarf:

Had to do a quick swerve when they started coming out of the emergency turnstile in droves :rubchin:

Herd they weren't very happy about it? :box:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

In my hung-over state sunday night I re-watched the Pistols come back gig "There'll Always Be An England",something I never noticed before was the California State flag hanging in the top right corner of the stage,written on the flag,above the brown bear, are the words DENTON THE BEAR and to the left THE HERD,and also some other words that my old eyes cannot decipher,now I know Sir Johnathon Lydon is a massive Gooner but can anyone shed some light on the history of that flag? I don't remember it at games in the past but then again I wouldn't have been taking much notice,it seems quite a specific subject matter though,and so obviously linked to Arsenals terrace past,

Herd

Post by Herd »

Lydon is indeed a Gooner comes from the six acre estate and knew the Bear well.
His best mate /road manager/minder John "Rambo" was a top herdsman ,when the bear passed they simply wrote on the California Bear flag for him ( John Lives in santa monica with the lovely Nora ) ,he also mentioned him in a tribute almost every night .
There are at least 20 tickets per Gig given to Herdsman for Johns Gigs, on my night we drank all night in the dressing room until 0500 am Red Stripe all the way .
Lydon is a man who never forgot where he comes from or the real people who exist in the world .
For me he is the epitome of a working class hero don't be fooled by the Public Image he's a very down to earth man !

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Herd wrote:Lydon is indeed a Gooner comes from the six acre estate and knew the Bear well.
His best mate /road manager/minder John "Rambo" was a top herdsman ,when the bear passed they simply wrote on the California Bear flag for him ( John Lives in santa monica with the lovely Nora ) ,he also mentioned him in a tribute almost every night .
There are at least 20 tickets per Gig given to Herdsman for Johns Gigs, on my night we drank all night in the dressing room until 0500 am Red Stripe all the way .
Lydon is a man who never forgot where he comes from or the real people who exist in the world .
For me he is the epitome of a working class hero don't be fooled by the Public Image he's a very down to earth man !
Thanks for the insight Herd,I guessed someone would know something about it,I bet the Herd nights backstage with Lydon got very messy indeed!

mad max

Re: Old gits terrace legends from mad max old school arsenal pre gooner days

Post by mad max »

i was at that game late 72 at the shit hole arsenal had both ends we used to run them all the time early 70,s how things have changed thy,ve probably got the worst hooligan following in the country now.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

mad max wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 am
i was at that game late 72 at the shit hole arsenal had both ends we used to run them all the time early 70,s how things have changed thy,ve probably got the worst hooligan following in the country now.
yeah was just a youngster, but can confirm above as true......i even go back to the time Arsenal were in the Shed.....yes an old fucker indeed...

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:07 pm
mad max wrote:
yeah was just a youngster, but can confirm above as true......i even go back to the time Arsenal were in the Shed.....yes an old fucker indeed...
My old man got a hiding in the Shed toilets one year over there,he said he was having a piss and a few Chelsea came in,he didnt have answers to their Chelsea related questions,
He also tells me about a time on a train outside Coventry when he's sure some locals (maybe Coventry) fired a shotgun at the train off the sidings or bridge,(probably a brick) showering the Arsenal fans inside the carriage with glass,he said they used to block the track to stop the trains,he had a bit of glass inside his face for a while after,I'm guessing this must have been maybe mid to late 60's,

Trevor Ross

Post by Trevor Ross »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:07 pm
mad max wrote:
Great pic online mate I'm sure you've seen it of Arsenal in The Shed 1969 and splitting it in half, think it's April but could be September. Also great vid on You Tube of Tottenham v Arsenal May 1970, Raddy firing just over and clearly so many Arsenal in the Park Lane end which was Tottenham's end at the the time. Happy days!

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

robbo10 wrote:
Mon May 19, 2014 9:53 am
In my hung-over state sunday night I re-watched the Pistols come back gig "There'll Always Be An England",something I never noticed before was the California State flag hanging in the top right corner of the stage,written on the flag,above the brown bear, are the words DENTON THE BEAR and to the left THE HERD,and also some other words that my old eyes cannot decipher,now I know Sir Johnathon Lydon is a massive Gooner but can anyone shed some light on the history of that flag? I don't remember it at games in the past but then again I wouldn't have been taking much notice,it seems quite a specific subject matter though,and so obviously linked to Arsenals terrace past,
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 190&type=3

This is the flag you saw I believe
Last edited by StuartL on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobG

Post by RobG »

This thread rises from the Grave, with more alacrity than Bella Lugosi :D

Keep it going lads :barscarf: :barscarf:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:58 am
robbo10 wrote:
Mon May 19, 2014 9:53 am
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 190&type=3

This is the flag you saw I believe
Yeah that's the one,its pretty cool.

Redarmy

Re:

Post by Redarmy »

charliegeorgewhocanhitem wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:57 pm
I prefer to think of my early visits to the spuds shite hole. I'll never forget my first time in late 72, me and my mate were queueing outside the Paxton Rd end, when off in the distance you could hear some kind of huge noise approaching from afar. I can only describe it as something like the same sound that the soldiers in the film "Zulu" heard when they first heard the approaching Zulu army but before they could see them. The noise got louder and louder and when it got near enough we could hear the chant of "Arsenal, Arsenal, Arsenal" A minute or so later what I can only describe as a huge army of gooners came running round the corner from Tottenham High Rd. Me and my mate just stood there in awe and watched as they streamed past us and I know that time and memory play tricks but I swear it took a full five minutes for them all to pass. When the last of them had gone round the corner we pulled out jaws up from the pavement and followed but too late, when we got round the next corner there were only a few stragglers to be seen so we ended up walking all the way round the ground and back to the Paxton Rd end. When we got in we saw where the vast army had dissapeared to, into the Park Lane end and the Shelf side where we proceeded to batter the fuck out of the spuds for what seemed the entire game. I remember a big no mans land between us and the spuds in the Shelf just before we charged them and when we did they mostly shit themselves. There seemed to be gooners everywhere that day, me and my mate were amongst many more in the Paxton as well that day and to top it all, we won 2-1, oh happy days :D I could go on with memories of away to the spuds over the years but I'll leave it at my first one for now :wink:
Most of their older mob have acknowledged we totally took the ruled at the lane early 1970s, there used to be several large mobs going down there from mid day onwards... it was just mayhem....that had turned around by mid 1970s with Scum as the having the upper hand and taking the piss in the Northbank...strange how it went....Arsenal from 1969 were feared throughout London with only West Ham always being there.
Arsenal used to be in the shed those days, Skinhead was the fashion and Chelsea and Arsenal had plenty.
Know for a fact Arsenal had a go at taking the West Ham Northbank....they got kicked out ....but not sure if anyone else has attempted it.
All crazy stuff of course but if you lived though those times you certainly remember it, not promoting it or denying it...it just happened.