Old gits terrace legends

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
beck

Re:

Post by beck »

dbrien wrote:does anyone remember beating Hereford at home 7-2 and singing 'whats it like to shag a cow.

Also, 50,006 people at THOF when we beat Liverpool 3-1 and then beating Newcastle in midweek when Brian Talbot put a freekick in one corner, then the other!

The watford cup tie when the linesman gave us a penalty at 1-2 down but the ref played on, Arsenal stopped and Watford scored to make it 3-1.

Graham Roberts pushing Charlie Nicholas in to the east stand and nearly killing him? That bloke from Grange Hill being arrested for fighting in the clock end v scum.

Charlie Nicholas' goal in the Easter 3-2 win against the sum. Charlie Nicholas, Charlie Nicholas, who put the ball in tottenhams net, Charlie Nicholas!

Finally, question. Why do teams sing 'we all follow the ?, over land and sea and Leicester. Why Leicester? Does anyone know as I have wondered for years
went to hereford for the 1st game mate 1-1 woodcock scored
they brought a bull out and paraded it round the pitch it proceeded to shit everywhere
stayed up there for the weekend
got a cab to the ground
they struggled in the pub to remember a cab number
it was 54321[tricky i know]
york was the next game
drove up there in a car that contained mark burdiss[the grange hill guy i believe you are talking about,just text him for
verfiication he says hmmm maybe re the arrest :D]
windscreen smashed on the way up so missed the 1st half and got beat by a last min houchin goal on a skating rink
after the game was chased round york by leeds fans in a transit frantically trying to get mark in a balaclava to hide his cockney face
would do it again tomorrow in a heartbeat
i believe the and leicester stemmed from all those sheff weds ties but i think we played there a few times on other long winded cup ties before that so it may have been earlier

beck

Re:

Post by beck »

goonerak wrote:I remember going to Chelsea in the mid 80s with a couple of mates from work - we were all 18. One of my mates was Chelsea & the other was Everton (??!!) and they convinced me to stand in the shed.

I spent 90 minutes shitting myself (I'm not built to fight) especially when I could hear the Chelsea fans asking each other if they thought I was a gooner. Anyway, the game finished 1-1 and I got out unscathed. We made our way to Fulham Broadway tube as the Arsenal fans were kept in for 30 minutes or so as was normal back then.

We waited ages for a tube by which time the Arsenal fans had been let out and were at the tube station, but held back by the locked gates. They could see my mate's Chelsea scarf and were telling us in no uncertain terms what they were going to do to us and just to show us how strong they were they managed to uproot the ticket collectors box and pass that around above their heads.

I thought "I don't fucking believe it, I'm going to end up on the wrong end of a pasting from my fellow supporters".

Eventually our tube comes in, we get on and the doors take forever and a day to close. As they close, the gates are opened and the Arsenal fans fly across the platform banging on the windows as we pull out.

Never been back since.

Does anyone remember going to Leicester in 84/5. We won 4-1 but there was a pitch invasion by Arsenal fans. It turned out that Leicester fans were lobbing bricks into the Arsenal end from outside the ground. They had to go on the pitch to get away from the bricks.
yes mate was at that leicester game
anderson talbot 2 rix
we were top of the table and leicester was the kind of game that always had a good turnout
1 of the things i remember was how massive the ticket was
it became a standing joke that anything that was a tad outsized was compared to a leicester ticket

beck

Re: Re:

Post by beck »

charliegeorgewhocanhitem wrote:
Rob wrote:Pretty sure I remember Johnny Hoy from the 1970/71 season. Didn't he used to wear a white coat of the butchers variety with Arsenal slogans and logos paited all over it ?

I walked past him one day as he was chatting in a friendly fashion to the plod, manning turnstiles at the North Bank enterance in Avenell Road.
I thought this thread was long gone and forgotten about :lol: I remember the white butchers coats being worn along with clockwork orange style bowler hats but don't know if JH was one of the wearers. As i remember, wearing one of those would mark you out to be chucked out of the ground by the old bill
i think the 1st time i ever saw anyone in the clockwork orange gear was when we played derby in that 1972 fa cup replay at highbury when because of power cuts the game was played on a midweek afternoon
guys wearing make up was for poofs like marc bolan doing telegram sam according to my grandad but there was something facinating in the air at the time
to be brought to the fore by that marvelous top of the pops bowie appearance
i was only 8 so it probably was,nt too much of a stretch for me to get a day off primary school
i was lucky my grandad had brought us season tickets in the east lower
63,000 over there that day
there were some very empty schooldesks that day
it was 0-0
i remember clough getting the bird and doing an extravagant bow in front of the dugouts
the 2nd replay we won 1-0 was at leicester kennedy got our winner

highburyJD

Re: Old gits terrace legends

Post by highburyJD »

I sat in the Chelski end (temporary Shed stand) straight after the Nayim from the halfway line nightmare, was seriously depressed,
celebrated a consolation goal (was a cry for help suicide attempt) had my life saved by some Chels supporting girls I'd been trying to chat up and two stewards. One was a Gooner one was a Spud!
nobody but the hand full of skinheads trying to kill me actually supported Chels then
the main reason I celebrated was to piss off a midget nazi in front of me who constantly racially abused Wrighty and kept making positive statements about the Serbs having the right idea vis a vis ethnic cleansing
he actually shat himself when I went mental celebrating all over him slapping his bald head
was the old skinheads shuffling down row by row from behind I was really scared off

beck

Re:

Post by beck »

Dr Khan wrote:Have been browsing the forum for a while but felt compelled to write after reading this post...so many memories! Here's a few of my own...

Got taken to the Home Of Football aged 7 by my Grandad in December 1980 (a 2-1 win over Man U) and we sat in the West Stand Lower for £3 each.

Started going regularly from mid 80's - seem to remember it being £1.50 with Junior Gunners card...and as was mentioned, sneaking onto the North Bank from the family enclosure.

Anyone remember the bloke who used to shout 'Come On You Rip Roaring Reds!!!' at regular intervals at which point the entire North Bank would reply 'Shut Up!'..think he was called Ginger and used to wear a baseball cap. He also had an alternative 'Come On You ???? Gunners!!' but i could never quite make that one out.

Also the 'get your peanuts here' bloke, could never forget him...regular crowds of nearly 60,000 squeezed into Highbury (for the big games) before the Taylor report...and of course the top side/middle chants.

I remember an away trip to Millwall (the old Den) which was the first & only time i went there, one of the scariest experiences of my life, absolutely terrifying...and Rocky swallowed his tongue and Millwall wouldnt kick the ball out for ages...and i think we won 2-1 with a Martin Hayes winner off his knee...

Also Millwall at home (a cup game i think) when it was kicking off all over with helicopters circling overhead and all the Millwall jumping into the family enclosure, beating people up indiscriminately...

And a riotous away game at Norwich when i swear we came from behind to score 4 goals in about 10 minutes and win 4-2...

My memories of these days are slightly hazy so i may need to be corrected on some of the above points..

Sadly i only get to see the boys in action 2 or 3 times a season now, despite still living in the area (just across the border in N17!!!) I have been pretty much priced out of going on a regular basis...either way still a Gooner Til I Die!!!
the game where rocky swallowed his tongue was the 2-1 win at millwall in the 89/90 season thomas and quinn scored
the norwich game when we came back from 2 down was in 87/88 4 goals in 13 mins
rocky with a diving header he then set up thomas for the 2nd scored the 3rd and perry groves did a back header over the keeper for the 4th

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

beck wrote:
Dr Khan wrote:Have been browsing the forum for a while but felt compelled to write after reading this post...so many memories! Here's a few of my own...

Got taken to the Home Of Football aged 7 by my Grandad in December 1980 (a 2-1 win over Man U) and we sat in the West Stand Lower for £3 each.

Started going regularly from mid 80's - seem to remember it being £1.50 with Junior Gunners card...and as was mentioned, sneaking onto the North Bank from the family enclosure.

Anyone remember the bloke who used to shout 'Come On You Rip Roaring Reds!!!' at regular intervals at which point the entire North Bank would reply 'Shut Up!'..think he was called Ginger and used to wear a baseball cap. He also had an alternative 'Come On You ???? Gunners!!' but i could never quite make that one out.

Also the 'get your peanuts here' bloke, could never forget him...regular crowds of nearly 60,000 squeezed into Highbury (for the big games) before the Taylor report...and of course the top side/middle chants.

I remember an away trip to Millwall (the old Den) which was the first & only time i went there, one of the scariest experiences of my life, absolutely terrifying...and Rocky swallowed his tongue and Millwall wouldnt kick the ball out for ages...and i think we won 2-1 with a Martin Hayes winner off his knee...

Also Millwall at home (a cup game i think) when it was kicking off all over with helicopters circling overhead and all the Millwall jumping into the family enclosure, beating people up indiscriminately...

And a riotous away game at Norwich when i swear we came from behind to score 4 goals in about 10 minutes and win 4-2...

My memories of these days are slightly hazy so i may need to be corrected on some of the above points..

Sadly i only get to see the boys in action 2 or 3 times a season now, despite still living in the area (just across the border in N17!!!) I have been pretty much priced out of going on a regular basis...either way still a Gooner Til I Die!!!
the game where rocky swallowed his tongue was the 2-1 win at millwall in the 89/90 season thomas and quinn scored
rocky with a diving header he then set up thomas for the 2nd scored the 3rd and perry groves did a back header over the keeper for the 4th
The only time I ever got thrown out of a football stadium , was before this game. Reason? For making an abusive gesture at the millwall fans when they started singing 15 mins before KO and not realising there was a copper right behind me. Turfed out, details taken, this was the era of monihans football id scheme so the coppers wanted to know everything about me and i'm not even a thug!

I can honestly say it was safer inside the ground than the journey home along the old kent road. I havent been back to millwall since!

I remember the top side and the middle of the north bank and in particular one bald midget nicknamed skinhead who used to stand on the topside, always pissed. He had to be the worst singer going and always had the shit ripped out of him everytime he tried to start a song. Fair play to him, he never gave up. Now the atmosphere in north bank terrace was amazing, when the whole end was singing the sound would echo out. Wasn't the same in the clock end being open.

Rip roar, yeah what ever happened to him.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

nut flush gooner wrote:
beck wrote:

The only time I ever got thrown out of a football stadium , was before this game. Reason? For making an abusive gesture at the millwall fans when they started singing 15 mins before KO and not realising there was a copper right behind me. Turfed out, details taken, this was the era of monihans football id scheme so the coppers wanted to know everything about me and i'm not even a thug!

I can honestly say it was safer inside the ground than the journey home along the old kent road. I havent been back to millwall since!

I remember the top side and the middle of the north bank and in particular one bald midget nicknamed skinhead who used to stand on the topside, always pissed. He had to be the worst singer going and always had the shit ripped out of him everytime he tried to start a song. Fair play to him, he never gave up. Now the atmosphere in north bank terrace was amazing, when the whole end was singing the sound would echo out. Wasn't the same in the clock end being open.

Rip roar, yeah what ever happened to him.

Co-incidentally, the only time I have ever been thrown out was at home to Millwall in a league match, was plucked from behind (awaits corrections) by a female copper for giving either Sherringham or Cascarinho the wanker sign and saying aaaaaggh as he skewed a shot into the North Bank, the fact that 5,000 other people did exactly the same, or that I was so far up that player could neither see nor hear me, didn't appear to matter.

Was frogmarched through the East Stand, past Ken Friar in his office, who gave a disapproving look, and got the third degree from the police, was ejected and warned not to re-enter the stadium......

Walked around the corner up the North Bank steps and back in for the last 15mins.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Millwall at home in the worthless cup early 90's had pretty much all the west lower and the paddock below. Also corner of the clock end. It was the season the north bank was knocked down.

Spent much of the game dodging coins from the millwall thugs. It got to one stage in the second half where the gooners just got fed up of being barraged by missiles and started surging towards the fence. Would have been messy if they got through police lines. Millwall fans made a nothing cup tie into quite an atmosphere.

exiledgooner

Post by exiledgooner »

some memories here

always thought the 'and leicester' thing was cos the signs on the M1 had things like The North then beneath that would be Leicester

anyone remember Angus? used to go with travel club all the time...bit of a character

another geezer, usually had long rain coat, plastic bag and portable tranny stuck to his ear. coke bottle specs, dandruff encrusted hair, used to go everywhere as well

was at the villa game when they won the league. a few days before the totts had a fa cup replay against wolves and for some reason i went along with some totts mates

was at the top of the north bank when something kicked off over by the east stand. some arsenal apparently lobbing rocks over the wall :lol:

totts fans started singing arsenal outside, arsenal outside alo alo for the first time i joined in with a totts song changing one little word

happy days 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

exiledgooner wrote: another geezer, usually had long rain coat, plastic bag and portable tranny stuck to his ear. coke bottle specs, dandruff encrusted hair, used to go everywhere as well
Was the tranny called "Jayson"? :rubchin:

And why the ear? Weird kinky fucker. :o

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

always wondered about "and Leic"
Chelski fan was trying to tell me their "and Leicester" was due to a particularly nasty service station tear up
he didn't have any answer for why everybody sings it...

Lee1

Post by Lee1 »

Remember the 4-2 Norwich game so well. Packed in our end- portakabin toilets, remember having to stand guard whilst my ex wife had to go to the toilet!

Ben Diesel

Post by Ben Diesel »

another geezer, usually had long rain coat, plastic bag and portable tranny stuck to his ear. coke bottle specs, dandruff encrusted hair, used to go everywhere as well
Not sure if this is who you mean, but there was a geezer nicknamed 'Statto' (but not Angus Loughran) who fits your description, used to write down every detail of every game in notebooks - I used to see him at every away game, sat next to him once away at Bradford.

I heard (second hand) probably 4 or 5 seasons ago that he had died suddenly...?

stevedagooner

Post by stevedagooner »

I used to go to a lot of away games in the late seventies and eighties. There were two people that spring yo mind that fit the description. One I haven't seen in years but the other I think David I saw last season at a home game. He looked exactly the same but obviously a bit older. It was a warm day and I'm certain he was wearing the same cloths as he did in the eighties. I'm not sure i would have liked to sit next to him that day. In all fairness he was a true gooner, arsenal was a big part of his life.

Macca

Post by Macca »

Lee1 wrote:Remember the 4-2 Norwich game so well. Packed in our end- portakabin toilets, remember having to stand guard whilst my ex wife had to go to the toilet!
I remember this game, my mate drove in his biege cortina and we drove around for ages trying to find parking, then as kick off was approaching we just parked the car right outside the ground (opposite the turnstiles) we thought 'f*ck it' if we got a ticket, after the game, no ticket, car still there, just got in and drove home!