marriage on the rocks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

marriage on the rocks

Post by gooner.ed »

ok - just to get the ball rolling here. this is kevin whitcher aka gooner.ed.

in brief, we get a varying amount of feedback depending on the articles posted and we've set this up for 2 reasons. 1 - to encourage use of the forum and 2 - to give interested parties the chance to exchange views with each other without awaiting me to get a new feedback corner up (and let's not go there at the moment, please).

so it's over to you, should you wish to use this facility. regarding what the 'marriage' piece says - all well and good with yours truly, although i always felt the new stadium would take time in terms of atmosphere. the late arrivers could be down to public transport - evening matches are especially bad for this from all accounts. and as for the early leavers. why not wait til a) injury time and b) a break in play in injury time. you are still ahead of the crowd, but at least can back the boys for 90 minutes if not the extra 3 or 4.

donaldo

Marriage on the rocks

Post by donaldo »

GREAT ARTICLE

SOMETIMES I WONDER WHY SOME FANS COME TO GAMES.THEY TURN UP LATE,LEAVE EARLY,TAKE 25 MINUTES AT HALF TIME TO STUFF THEIR FACES. WE ARE PRIVILIGED TO WATCH WONDERFUL FOOTBALL WHY OH WHY CANT THEY COME TO THE GAMES AND WATCH THE WHOLE 90 MINUTES.THE TEAM DESERVES OUR 100% SUPPORT. WE HAVE A WONDERFUL STADIUM I WISH WE COULD SAY THE SAME ABOUT THE SUPPORT.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

good article, and i know hindsight is an exact science but i wish people (including my beloved Gooner) had thought more about this before they backed the move away from Highbury.

I'm not sure many people thought about 15-20 years down the line or about life after Arsene. Sometimes to look forward we have to look back.

In the bad times of the mid 70's and 80's, The Arsenal only held a loyal support of 26-28,000 who went regardless of form or weather and that number still holds true - judging by Carling Cup & Charity Shield attendances.

When we became a force again in the early 90's , we did soon sell out every match but then all seating came in too, and so the legend of the Library was born. We had too many fans waiting for something to happen

Now rather than 8,000 hangers on there is more likely 25,000 sitting there waiting for the team and the crowd to entertain them. :(

The sad fact is that The Arsenal with Arsene in charge have punched above their financial weight for a long time and once he is gone unless we are very lucky with new managers or get a benefactor ourselves, we will go back to being a top 5 to top 10 ten team with runs in the Cup.

will the newer fans continue to pay the high prices to watch that ? I think not.

It is more likely than not that in 15 years time we will play in front of 35 to 40,000 fans.

But the upside is that they will be the hardcore and they will make noise and maybe the club will have the foresight to reduce ticket prices and there will be a new generation of kids who saved up their pocket money and bunked the train to get to the game.....

Mark