Is your dad a Gooner?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Andrey's Tongue

Is your dad a Gooner?

Post by Andrey's Tongue »

Wondering where people get their Arsenal supporting from? Was it your dad who introduced you into the world of Arsenal or was it by some other way?

My dad is from Highbury and first went in 1957, I never remember anything else but supporting the Gunners!

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

Yep, I was born into the Arsenal way - My Dad "The Boy" loves nothing better than to sit down and chat about the older games - Liam Brady is his God.

greatgooner

Re: Is your dad a Gooner?

Post by greatgooner »

Andrey's Tongue wrote:Wondering where people get their Arsenal supporting from? Was it your dad who introduced you into the world of Arsenal or was it by some other way?

My dad is from Highbury and first went in 1957, I never remember anything else but supporting the Gunners!
I was very lucky as my dad was unsure whether to go the Spuds :evil: :banghead: route or the Gooners :barscarf: as he was taken to each on alternate weekends by his uncle (Spuds) :twisted: :banghead: and his dad (Gooner). :barscarf: :barscarf:
Thank god he saw sense in the end or what a misearble and crap life i would of had :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Naaah my dad was in the forces so always abroad - But my uncle Len was a staunch Arsenal fan :barscarf: - and so raised me right! and made sure I didn't stray - he bought me my first red and white scarf - which some sphincterfucker stole when I was 13yrs old :banghead:

projoe

Post by projoe »

my dad is a man utd fan :puke:

i support arsenal because:

1. most of my friends at primary school supported arsenal, so i just went along with them, and i soon knew a lot more about the club than they did :lol:

2. its my local team, so i can get to matches easily :barscarf:

Swale_Gooner1985

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

My Dad is a Gooner - 'Big Chris' started going to the Arsenal games as a youngster and i have followed suit!

His dad however is a spud so im glad my Dad never followed in his footsteps or i could be a spud, dont even want to think about it!

Andrey's Tongue

Re: Is your dad a Gooner?

greatgooner wrote:
Andrey's Tongue wrote:Wondering where people get their Arsenal supporting from? Was it your dad who introduced you into the world of Arsenal or was it by some other way?

I was very lucky as my dad was unsure whether to go the Spuds :evil: :banghead: route or the Gooners :barscarf: as he was taken to each on alternate weekends by his uncle (Spuds) :twisted: :banghead: and his dad (Gooner). :barscarf: :barscarf:
Thank god he saw sense in the end or what a misearble and crap life i would of had :lol:
Think that was pretty common. My old man said that in the 60's, although always an Arsenal supporter he would go to Highbury and WHL on alternate Saturdays (when going away was less common). Done that until away support became more the norm in the late 60's and 70's and then just went to watch Arsenal every week, home or away!

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

My dad was both an Arsenal and a Northampton Town fan (his home town). Royal Navy during the second world war,proud to be English yet a republican when it came to matters on these shores, and a communist who despised both the yanks and capitalism, but most of all a decent man whom I miss very much.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

My Dad hates football so the answer is no.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

My dad was a gooner and did the 60's thing of Arsenal one week sp*rs the next with his dad and brother luckily his brother started to enjoy the Arsenal games more and stopped going to the sp*rs games and he followed. He never forced Arsenal on us but used to take us a few times each season when we were young and got us hooked. He died a few years ago now at a relatively young age and miss the days of going football with him so much

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

My dad is a “Jamboâ€

Andrey's Tongue

flash gunner wrote:My dad was a gooner and did the 60's thing of Arsenal one week sp*rs the next with his dad and brother luckily his brother started to enjoy the Arsenal games more and stopped going to the sp*rs games and he followed. He never forced Arsenal on us but used to take us a few times each season when we were young and got us hooked. He died a few years ago now at a relatively young age and miss the days of going football with him so much
Thats the thing, I don't ever remember it being forced on me but then again I never remember anything but Arsenal in a football sense. I've asked him a couple of times how I got into it and he said that by taking me to a game when I was young (which I bloody loved!) was where it all came from because I wanted to go again!

eccles

Post by eccles »

my dad always followed arsenal, he and my mum used to live in islington
we moved out to the sticks when i was two so i missed out on growing up in the same place he did.
sadly his interest in football waned as mine was developing, to this day he still follows arsenal's results but he's not really into it like me.

my best memory of parental arsenal supporting though relates to my mum swearing copiously at the tv when gazza scored that free kick against us in 91. I was 8 then and that sealed it for me. You might have expected an impressionable 8 year old to be seduced by a goal like that, but thankfully i was immune

:barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

My dad is a..................Darlington fan :shock: :shock:

Thank christ his friend gave me an Arsenal scarf when I was 4 to save me from a lifetime of that! Once I had that scarf I was hooked. :barscarf:

digger

Post by digger »

My dad didn't really support a team. He moved over from Ireland in the 1970s, so has been a Man U sympathiser because of Best... so I get both barrels whenever those mank fucks beat us :banghead: