Full time against Liverpool was a disgrace -16 Nov Exclusive

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Full time against Liverpool was a disgrace -16 Nov Exclusive

Post by gooner.ed »

Just starting a thread should anyone wish to comment on the above article...

jonboyafc

Post by jonboyafc »

Yep, it's out of order.

I was a season ticket holder in my teens, but had to give it up to go to uni and have been on the waiting list ever since. I've managed to get tickets for the European games at home this year, but would dearly love to attend more often.

Sunday's match reminded me of those excellent results at home to Liverpool in the early 90's - especially the 4-0 thrashing we gave them when Limpar did his fantastic lob in front of the North Bank.

How can you walk away before the end of a game like Sunday's and not give the players a great ovation? It's embarrasing and verges on the offensive.

The football the team plays now is fantastic - the CSKA match was awesome apart from the finishing and I had to stay and clap the team off at the end - if for nothing other than to show my appreciation for the great ability they showed in the first half.

If fans don't get behind the team fully, then players will not want to stay. Arsenal isn't ever going to be as big as the Barca's or the Madrids or Milans - but players stay because there is something special about the club.

If fans keep showing the kind of appreciation they have so far this year, then I fear the players will think 'sod it' and go elsewhere. And then where will we be? Back to giving the likes of David Hillier and Ian Selley our 'ovations'.

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

Completely agree, it was appalling. There's never any excuse for it whatever the game, score or performance if you are a genuine fan. But what made it all the more embarrassing was that it came after an outstanding 2nd half performnace against a big club. I'm a season ticket holder and live in Swindon. I have a 2 hour trip home after every game (traffic, trains permitting). Leaving 5/10 minutes early could make an hour difference in what time I get home - but I never dream of leaving early as I feel I haven't done my bit to fully support the players.
Come on ladies and gents, it's your/our job as fans to fully support and back the team all the time, not just when it's convenient.

stubbsy1

Couldn't agree more

Post by stubbsy1 »

Why on earth do people complain about the prices of match tickets when they don't bother watching all of what they paid for?! I don't think it is down to the club to do anything about it, to be fair staying in the ground for a pint afterwards or to watch the highlights doesn't interest me at all. I do however, leave directly on the final whistle and, despite the congestion, have no problems getting away. Frank

redfreddie

I agree - disgrace !

Post by redfreddie »

I've been reading so much about 'fans' leaving early and after watching Sundays game and then reading the article written on here i just had to join and write my own piece on this !!
Firstly I'm a mad arsenal fan, have been all my life (I'm 37 now !). For various reasons i havent been able to watch arsenal except on telly, and now i'm in the position to make every game i cannot get tickets or a season ticket for love or money. I recently managed to watch the mighty gunners and see the fantastic new stadium in all its glory and it was awesome. As it was only a game in the CL qualifiers against Zagreb i kind of understood why the stadium appeared half empty, esp at the end, but as a true fan i couldnt think of a single reason why i would ever want to leave early even in this game as i want to support the players off the pitch and show my appreciation to their efforts, as a fan !! it was a midweek night game yes, i had a 3 hr journey home yes, but why would i leave early and miss the chance to cheer our team off the pitch at the end ?
I'm desperate for tickets to see our great team play, if any of you guys that want to watch 75 mins of a game fancy giving me your season ticket so I can make a difference then please contact me and I'll take them off your hands.
I had to watch the Liverpool game on Sky and what a match, makes you proud to be an arsenal fan after the stick we've had lately. But then near the end i noticed the stadium was half empty and i felt ashamed, how can this be ? It was about 5:40pm and against Liverpool, why is everyone leaving ? So what if there are massive queues for the tube etc its 5:40pm for gods sake not midnight !!!! Just queue up and wait like everyone else ! Stay and support the team and just queue up a bit longer to get home !

pkb

Re Leaving Matches

Post by pkb »

Hey All!

Before you condemn everyone, take my circumstance as an example. I live in Brighton. To get to Highbury and more importantly, to get away was always relatively easy (but still two hours).

I have rarely left the ground early. Only if I REALLY needed to.

However, since the move to Ashburton grove the time getting away from the ground can be extended by up to an hour more if you get caught in the main rush. This is due to an extra 22,000 people, new police arrangements (holding people back in the streets) and being further from Finsbury Park (to say nothing of the dodgy tube system).

At evening and Sunday matches if you then factor in late night and Sunday services to Brighton which tend to stop every 20 yards, getting away a few minutes early can save almost 2 hours travelling time.

I don't know about you but being 3-0 up, even to Liverpool isn't worth two extra hours trying to get home just for watching a few more meaningless minutes!

Oh, and before you condemn me as "not being a real fan" ( I can almost hear the stampede), I've been a season ticket holder for almost 35 years, have written extensively for fanzine's and even sang on the 1998 "Hot Stuff" single.

I also have a life and can make full use of those two hours!

pk

jellyb

Post by jellyb »

It doesnt look good i agree,but its the fault of Arsenal not the fans.....I never left Highbury early in my life,but the choice is leave 5 mins early & miss a 2 hr queue to get into Arsenal station(which is exactly what happened against CSKA Moscow)or stay & get stuck outside 4 hrs on end.....THe situation is a joke ...not only have we got 25,000 extra fans but theyve closed 2 stations aswell Holloway Rd & Drayton Park,that would take a fari few percentage of fans..How STUPID is that...What happened to the expansion of Holloway Rd....this needs to be sorted otherwise people will continue to leave early ,,,

pointy

I was at the CSK game

Post by pointy »

I have to agree at the annoyance of those that leave early. I have access to 4 tickets. Me and my son always go and my business partner. It means I get to invite a friend (which I attract many) for the spare ticket.

For the CSK game I invited a head teacher at a local school. A comment was made that during the last ten minutes of exams you're not allowed to leave.

It would be nice if that rule was introduced at ashburton.... the last ten minutes were ruined as an event due to the constant standing up to let the muppets leave a few mins before the end of the game.....

gooner.ed
Site Admin

you can't force people to stay...

Post by gooner.ed »

but what i will say is this.

if you are going to leave early, please do it with some consideration for those that choose to watch the entire game.

This means picking your moment to make everyone stand up and the four rows behind get their view obscured. so wait until the ball goes out for a goal kick or there's a substitution being made. that way, at least your early departure doesn't cause the stayers to miss any meaningful action.

Pav

Post by Pav »

I never leave before the end of the game being as I've been to so many where we've scored late on.

However, the club needs to have words with somebody at TFL about the problems getting away from the ground. Not only can't you get in to Arsenal Station after the game, the Police keep you held up for 10-15 minutes come rain or shine when trying to get to Finsbury Park.

TFL excelled themselves the night of the CSKA game when the train sat at Finsbury Park station for well over half an hour!

I sympathise with both points of view - I am fortunate enough only to have to struggle back to Southgate. Looking forward to seeing how Porto cope with their new ground in a couple of weeks!

One final point about the end of the Liverpool game before I go - did anybody else notice the only player to acknowledge the fans after the game was William Gallas?

Emkay

Leaving games early

Post by Emkay »

I have been supporting the Arsenal for over 50 years and have never left a game early. I am fortunate enough to have a season ticket at the Emirates but now live in Worcestershire. This means I have to allow 4 hours from home to the stadium and the trip home takes about the same time. Well worth it!

I am appalled at people leaving early and I consider it bad manners (if nothing else) not to give the team 100% support and that means to the final whistle. Why support a team if you can't be bothered to stay to the end. Let proper fans have the ticket; people who can really show their appreciation!

6 to 8 hours travelling - no problem.

dennis_10

new song for early departers

Post by dennis_10 »

Hi,

I was at the Liverpool game (throat is much better now thanks), my first premiership game at The Grove. I was deeply embarrassed by all these early leavers, and all these 'transport problem' excuses just don't cut the mustard. May I suggest a new song for those who can't be bothered to wait 5 minutes and cheer the team at final whistle..

"SIT DOWN IF YOU LOVE ARSENAL"

haylegooner

Post by haylegooner »

although i havent been for years reason being i live in cornwall, got kids, carnt get tickets ect used to be regular at highbury in the 60s and 70s
(I didnt miss ahome game for 5 years) I never left early even if we were losing (wich we did often in those days) and it was a lost cause. I will always remember when I and a mate went to the scum united final 2-0 ten mins to go my mate says lets go and beat the crowd he went I stayed
was he sick or what!!!!!!!!! :oops:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i think i made my position clear on the other thread - its only to be expected what with the crowd size now.

I can understand some leaving early if the Tube is knacked, but Dennis makes a good point - it would be nice to see the likes of REDaction singing that as well as " we can see you sneaking out" and " LOYAL supporters".

It might make a few embarrassed to leave early, no-one likes to go against the Herd........

mark

ps - all together now - " west side, west side going home - going home. east side, east side etc...."

potter

full time liverpool a disgrace

Post by potter »

If its taking an hour to get on the tube at Arsenal or Finsbury Park why not walk up to Manor House! If your going to inner London you will usually get a seat too. I travel to Norfolk and never leave early.But then I walk from the stadium for 20 minutes before getting to my mode of transport, usually I am in my local in Great Yarmouth before 9.00 pm.