why wenger is still the nearly man

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
glenngould

why wenger is still the nearly man

Post by glenngould »

after the man u game i posted about how clichy and denilson were NOT GOOD ENOUGH to play for arsenal and was roundly vilified - a)because some people actually believe that denilson is effective and b)because clichy runs about and is popular...i'm so angry with this manager stubbornly persisting with players who are NOT BIG OR GOOD ENOUGH.
no doubt he's preparing his excuses again....

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

100% agree

JakeN13

Post by JakeN13 »

To speak Wenger's own language I'd say he's 5% stubbornness from being one of the best managers in the history of football. If he just could admit a mistake from time to time we and him would be so much better off. No other manager would have kept Almunia or Song in the side after their first couple of seasons, never mind made them a reguarlar. Now, Wenger's made them, quite average players and is pleased with himself.
Fergie is a stubborn old fool but Wenger's even worse. Players like Taibi, Djemba Djemba and Gleberson would still be playing for us if Wenger bought them.

potter

Post by potter »

We do have just average players in our squad and the problems really arise when we play too many of them at the same time. I am afraid the midfield collection of Denilson ,Diaby,& Eboue, are squad players at best. To play them all together just weakens the team too much when we play against strong opposition.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

As i said after the Man Utd game Denilson Diaby Bendtner and Eboue look good against shite like Pompey and Celtic but put them up against a decent team and they are found out.None of these players would get into any of the other top 4 teams so why are they starting for us?

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Why? Arsene Wenger mate, pure and simple.

Kiki

Post by Kiki »

It depends, Gibbs had a costly mistake in the CL semi (a game that was just too big for him) yet its ok. if it was Eboue though......

Same goes with Clichy..how many costly mistkes did he make last season?

I really think we should have paid Cole what he wanted at the time because whatever you think about the fella, he is the best LB in the world

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

But that's precisely the problem with Arsenal. We refuse to pay our best players the wage that they deserve, to keep them happy and at our club yet we pay youngsters who are mediocre by comparison £50 or 60k a week??
I really don't see the logic. We will lose Arshavin next season for exactly this reason and it makes me fookin' mad!! :banghead:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

donaldo wrote:As i said after the Man Utd game Denilson Diaby Bendtner and Eboue look good against shite like Pompey and Celtic but put them up against a decent team and they are found out. None of these players would get into any of the other top 4 teams so why are they starting for us
They're starting because we have injuries to Arshavin, Nasri, Rosicky, and Walcott... why else?

The players you list (Diaby, Denilson, Bendtner and Eboue) would not be playing if we had a fully fit squad, in my opinion... they are squad players, and not the worst ones either!

I think Wenger sees his best XI as...

[4-3-3] Almunia; Sagna, Gallas, Vermaelen, Clichy; Song, Fabregas, Nasri; Arshavin, Walcott, Van Persie.

Lethal

Post by Lethal »

g88ner wrote:
donaldo wrote:As i said after the Man Utd game Denilson Diaby Bendtner and Eboue look good against shite like Pompey and Celtic but put them up against a decent team and they are found out. None of these players would get into any of the other top 4 teams so why are they starting for us
They're starting because we have injuries to Arshavin, Nasri, Rosicky, and Walcott... why else?

The players you list (Diaby, Denilson, Bendtner and Eboue) would not be playing if we had a fully fit squad, in my opinion... they are squad players, and not the worst ones either!

I think Wenger sees his best XI as...

[4-3-3] Almunia; Sagna, Gallas, Vermaelen, Clichy; Song, Fabregas, Nasri; Arshavin, Walcott, Van Persie.
but they are ALWAYS injured,week after week,month after month and year after year

its gives wenger the same old excuses

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Lethal wrote:but they are ALWAYS injured,week after week,month after month and year after year

its gives wenger the same old excuses
That's true.

Lethal

Post by Lethal »

are you wavering on your trust in him yet g88ner ?

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Lethal wrote:are you wavering on your trust in him yet g88ner ?
No... I've spilt tea on my keyboard and it's really sticky and difficult to type, and writing "that's true" was quicker and easier than arguing my point :oops: :lol: :wink:

However, I'll admit that todays result really suprised me. The ManUre result wasn't too bad because I thought we played VERY well... today we were shocking, and it felt like we were back in the dark days of last November, to be honest :(

That said, our next 5 league games look easy on paper (apart from maybe Fulham away) so win all 5, and things start looking better again and will give us some much needed confidence.

Yes... I'm clutching at straws :oops: :lol:

azz91

Post by azz91 »

allthough that c*nt cashely is better, i think clichy is one of the best and he is good enough for us. but denilson is certainly not. diaby & song is better than him, but they themselves are not good enough to start they should be on the bench at most.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Kiki wrote:It depends, Gibbs had a costly mistake in the CL semi (a game that was just too big for him) yet its ok. if it was Eboue though......

Same goes with Clichy..how many costly mistkes did he make last season?

I really think we should have paid Cole what he wanted at the time because whatever you think about the fella, he is the best LB in the world
Ain't that the truth