Games without frontiers - No flags at The Em!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
corky

Games without frontiers - No flags at The Em!

Post by corky »

[color=blue]A statement on Arsenal.com posted today:
Some of our fans have been upset with the flying of certain flags denoting particular regions of the world

Arsenal as a club prides itself on being inclusive with respect to all nationalities, cultural and ethnic groups.

We have therefore decided that in order for all of our fans to enjoy their experience at Emirates Stadium, we are asking that only flags in support of Arsenal Football Club, without any national emblems, are displayed within the stadium.

We will be implementing this policy with immediate effect. Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

[ Saturday, December 16, 2006][/color]

I gather that this all stems from Greek Cypriots being 'understandably' upset that a Turkish Cypriot flag has been on display at some games this season. But it seems that Arsenal have taken a sledge hammer to crack a nut with the result being that every flag waving Gooner has to fold up their flags and put them away for good "with immediate effect". So the St Georges, St Andrews, Irish tricolour, Welsh Dragon and every other flag needs to be banned to avoid upsetting a tiny minority. If you extend this nonsense then every flag shown on Arsenal.com needs to be removed "with immediate effect". Rather than sensibly and diplomatically 'having a word' with the Turk Cypriot who has the flag, Arsenal have 'bottled' out and banned every flag. Are Arsenal seriously saying that "some of the fans" , "cannot enjoy their experience at the Emirates" if national flags are displayed. So some supporters clubs wish to declare that they have made the effort to travel hundreds of miles to visit the Emirates and to support Arsenal and to show where they have travelled from.

I am very disappointed that Arsenal have decided to implement this policy with "immediate effect" and without any consultation with the Supporters Clubs. I would also assume that the policy would be inclusive of visiting supporters? I can imagine many supporters being extremely critical of this statement.

This is simply nonsense and Arsenal should think about this poor statement and withdraw it at the earliest opportunity.

(They all have hills to fly them on - Peter Gabriel)

legend10

Post by legend10 »

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE PLAY TEAMS IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE ,WILL THEY BAN THE AWAY FANS FOR FLYING THEIR COUNTRYS FLAGS.

WHAT ABOUT WHEN WE PLAY MAN UNITED AT HOME THEY WAVE AN ARGENTINIAN FLAG AT MATCHES ,WILL THEY BE BANNED

IT SEEMS TO ME NOW THAT ARSENAL WANT EVERY FAN TO TURN UP AND SIT IN SILENCE ,NEVER SING, CLAP WHEN WE SCORE, AND GO HOME HAPPY AFTER ANOTHER CRAP 1-1 OR 2-2 DRAW,

andybishop50

Post by andybishop50 »

I think this is ridiculous. Arsenal fans have spent a lot of time and money making their own flags with the Arsenal name and badges on the St Georges flag. Are we saying that these people can't show off their work when they go to support the team they have supported all their lives.

Check out some of the flags at www.barmyflags.com to check out some of their fine work.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think they say Irish and England flags with the Arsenal badge on. So they are more than happy to take our money.

I think Arsenal have made a very rash decision here just to make sure they don't get accused of being politically incorrect.

What they haven't banned is the wearing of national teams shirts. Therefore I think all of us going to the game on Saturday should make every effort to wear our national teams shirts to the game. Just to prove that the vast majority of us get along at Arsenal no matter where we are from.

Spread the word.

Dicko

Post by Dicko »

I'll just go and pull the wording and numbers of Cole and 3 off my England shirt then :oops:

Fuzzfeast

Post by Fuzzfeast »

Yes, pull him off. He likes that sort of thing.

norn irish red

Post by norn irish red »

So in an attempt to unify the arsenal fans we are not allowed to show the flags of our respective nations,would it be a bold step to unify our support for the fa cup trip to anfield? surley with this being a televised game it would be a perfect time to show the multicultural Arsenal off the field not just on it.I for one would have no problem waving my Ulster flag beside the irish tricolour all in the name of our beloved club.

ONE LOVE

norn irish red

Post by norn irish red »

i found a website of a flag company who do flags of the world www.1000flags.co.uk instead of flying your own countrys flag just pick someone elses and fly it,that would show them!!

ONE LOVE

Jimmy the Scouser

Post by Jimmy the Scouser »

Dunno why you're all so gutted about this, I'd be absolutely delighted if they implemented it at Anfield. I support Liverpool, not England. You don't see English flags anyway at Anfield but I'm sick of Irish/Welsh/Timbuctoo flags being flown, it's a club game and your flags should show your club colours. My two pence anyway. First post by the way, hope you don't mind other team's fans coming on here!