Flag ban makes Arsenal a laughing stock (Dec 19)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Freddie71

Flag Ban

Post by Freddie71 »

From what I gather Red Action are taking this bloody stupid ban up with the club.

gooner.ed
Site Admin

press release from REDaction

Post by gooner.ed »

We at REDaction along with our fellow Arsenal supporters at The Gooner fanzine are in total opposition to Arsenal Football Clubs decision to ban all national flags from the Emirates Stadium.

Whilst we understand the reasons for the decision we believe this is political correctness gone mad.

It is another nail in the coffin of the tradition of football support in this country and is another example of Arsenal Football Club continuing to attempt to prevent any kind of atmosphere at the Stadium and indeed to limit any freedom of expression within the club.

Victory Through Harmony

REDaction

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

I am actually finding this difficult to type, I am so angry.

this is utterly disgraceful, first we ditch the club crest and now this. shameful.

I can understand politically sensitive flags being removed individually at certain games - Lebanese flags when we play the totts or Rangers, for example but our OWN flag ????

and i am not even a nationalist !

I hope REDaction, the Gooner and the other Fanzines and the Supporters Club can rally together against this, perhaps even with the fanzines of the opposing clubs to put on a display of supporter power because this is completely disrespectful to about 90% of their fans, and its about bloody time the Gooner and its ilk got off their arses and took the club to task for its treatment of the fans.

words fail me, the Bank of England club IS being turned into a laughing stock.

Clockender1

goonermc

Post by goonermc »

Nothing this club says or does anymore surprises me, but this latest rule to keep out national flags is so far of the mark it's f###ing crazy. What with people leaving early every game and now the powers that be trying to sanatise/ruin the atmosphere, it's becoming a sterile experience. On one hand you've got TH saying us fans have got to get behind the boys, Arsene telling us that were the 12th man and the suits upstairs are trying everything in their power to get us to sit down and shut up. Slowly but surely there taking away the matchday experience, and sooner rather than later they'll be left with no passion, no enthusiasm, no atmosphere, and there brand spanking new stadium will be left with no soul.

gooner Erol

Flag Ban

Post by gooner Erol »

As a London born Turk & Arsenal fan all my life i'm disgusted it's come to this.Afer the 1st few games at Ashburton i noticed the Turkish Cyprus flag as it also had Arsenal all over it.I also around the same time heard that some Greek fans did not want to see the flag & then proceeded to complain to the club.Arsenal said it had no problem with the flag & sent letters & emails out,but Greek fans again protested & after a meeting the club had no choice in their opinion but to ban all flags.
What annoys me, and i do not & will not get too political,is how all Greeks i know say how we Turks/Greeks all get on so well in London mix & work together & have no problems with each other, which is fair enough,but as the island has been divided since 1974 with the Turks in the North & greeks in the south,as much as the Greeks do not like it,the Turks in the North of the island have every right to be there,being as most were born & bred there,what is the big deal about them having a national flag to show as their own also!
But the CRUX of the argument is that the Greeks will always feel that for some reason Cyprus belongs to them solely which i'm afraid for them is very much not the case, sorry