THE FRANKSAV MUSIC THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: THE FRANKSAV MUSIC THREAD

Post by StuartL »

Got the Undertones to look forward to on Friday night.

Not with Feeergaaaal Shaaaarkeeeeey singing 🎤 but the replacement lead singer is a great showman and does the songs in his own indomitable way.

Seen them twice in the last 3/4 years and both previous performances have been fabulous.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:04 pm
Got the Undertones to look forward to on Friday night.

Not with Feeergaaaal Shaaaarkeeeeey singing 🎤 but the replacement lead singer is a great showman and does the songs in his own indomitable way.

Seen them twice in the last 3/4 years and both previous performances have been fabulous.
Enjoy, they're a great band, being from Derry I've seen them so many times.
First with Fergal in local niteclub circa "79" ish.
Paul mc Cloone does a great show, they're all the most humble lads you could ever meet, still married to the girlfriends they had when they first came on the scene.
I used to play all weather footie on Mon nites and one of them played.
Enjoy!!!!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

I was lucky to get a ticket for The Prisoners final night 40th Anniversary gig at Rochester in early December!

Garage Psych legends, the best band of the early '80's!

Finest gig I've been since The Jam at the Finsbury Park Rainbow when I was a young grasshopper! :barscarf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc3x5nswB0I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L74QKlZd2Y0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TkPbozll3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPbeNI-kYp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX1vmKwHw68

Loads more clips from the 4 nights of gigs on youtube! :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Anyone who enjoys Quality Reggae I Highly Recommend this band: Stick Figure from the States .... Their music is as catchy as some of Marley's best hooks and the vocal quality of Third World...

This is their latest album "Wisdom" - Just Play, Chill and Enjoy ! .... Don't be surprised if you want to get up and Dance! :dance: :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gFUrYp ... VdxPgFLmgk

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Great Interview with Dave Brock of Hawkwind back in 2002 A Legend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WH3EkOAjNE

8)

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Rock Goes To College!!
What a fucking show that was!!
Just watched Rory Gallagher, brilliant!
AC/DC even better, Bon at his best!!
Great live bands every week!!
None of that now!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Listening to Dio again here. Ronnie (RIP) was one of the greatest metal singers of all time. Love his voice. 8)

And Vivien Campbell, what a shredder. One of the most original sounding guitarists during that 80s period when there were some superb players taking the instrument to new musical and technical heights. Only 20 when he recorded that first Dio album, he was magical and one of the few guitarists that could play his technical solos note perfect live. Saw them a few times. Great live band. 8)

Block93

Post by Block93 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:17 am
Listening to Dio again here. Ronnie (RIP) was one of the greatest metal singers of all time. Love his voice. 8)

And Vivien Campbell, what a shredder. One of the most original sounding guitarists during that 80s period when there were some superb players taking the instrument to new musical and technical heights. Only 20 when he recorded that first Dio album, he was magical and one of the few guitarists that could play his technical solos note perfect live. Saw them a few times. Great live band. 8)
Agree, and is there any better Rainbow track than 'Stargazer'? Played at max volume it is just awesome from start to finish.

Back in the old days, in the late 70s, used to go to a heavy rock club and that was always the air guitar floor-filler and there was plenty of totty there too, in case you were wondering.

I remember Crazy on You by Heart was another massive track; when the base kicks in it is just sublime.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Block93 wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:21 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:17 am

Agree, and is there any better Rainbow track than 'Stargazer'? Played at max volume it is just awesome from start to finish.

Back in the old days, in the late 70s, used to go to a heavy rock club and that was always the air guitar floor-filler and there was plenty of totty there too, in case you were wondering.

I remember Crazy on You by Heart was another massive track; when the base kicks in it is just sublime.
Heart???? Are you taking the piss???

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:30 pm
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Heart can rock with the best of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P8HD0fbZso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFxOaDeJmXk
The musical equivalent of women's football :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sid the women's football equivalent of Good Taste. :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Just completed reading Ronnie James Dio's autobiography and as much as I loved Ronnie it's a disappointing read. He had only half written it before he sadly died and his wife and former Kerrang writer Mick Wall finished it.

They did not do a great job. It skips over the interesting stuff and reads almost like a journal of "we did this gig, that gig, I had a row with Blackmore, we recorded an album, went on tour".

A shame really. It also spends half the book talking about his teenage nothing bands back in the late 50s and early sixties and squeezes Rainbow, Sabbath and Dio into the final half..... :(

Now started Tony Iommi's autobiography and it is fucking brilliant. No detail spared. The groupies, the drink, the drugs, the shootings and a mortar round (!) are all covered. Some parts are laugh out loud funny. It captures the days when metal bands were fucking mental and anything was a goer, compared to so many of today's pc friendly, vegetarian, tea-total, "caring" twats that pretend to be metal. :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:44 am
Just completed reading Ronnie James Dio's autobiography and as much as I loved Ronnie it's a disappointing read. He had only half written it before he sadly died and his wife and former Kerrang writer Mick Wall finished it.

They did not do a great job. It skips over the interesting stuff and reads almost like a journal of "we did this gig, that gig, I had a row with Blackmore, we recorded an album, went on tour".

A shame really. It also spends half the book talking about his teenage nothing bands back in the late 50s and early sixties and squeezes Rainbow, Sabbath and Dio into the final half..... :(

Now started Tony Iommi's autobiography and it is fucking brilliant. No detail spared. The groupies, the drink, the drugs, the shootings and a mortar round (!) are all covered. Some parts are laugh out loud funny. It captures the days when metal bands were fucking mental and anything was a goer, compared to so many of today's pc friendly, vegetarian, tea-total, "caring" twats that pretend to be metal. :lol:

Thank's for the heads up DB.

That's sad to hear as he had one of the great Heavy Rock voices of our time; I also really rate his Sword & Sorcery influenced lyrics.

I bought the John Martyn biography "Small Hours" written by Graeme Thomson & released some year after he'd passed, as an acoustic guitarist he had a huge influence on my approach, style (percussive etc) and different tunings, a wild man in his own right.... But the book having briefly touched on his childhood & early beginnings as both a person and musician were okay, but then went down the same (Boring) route of Played this, did that, got drunk, hit his wife etc etc etc....I ended up giving it to the local PDSA Charity shop with only 2 thirds read, I couldn't even bring myself to lend or give it to any friends..... :?

I also had the same experience when I bought the Neil Young Autobiography "Waging Heavy Peace", though not quite as poor, it was badly written and proved to be a Dull Read.

Will look to get a copy of Tommi's book, he surely has to be THE master of the heaviest fuckin' Riffs in the history of rock.... 8)