flag ban

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonermc

flag ban

Post by goonermc »

Is anyone going in there National shirts on saturday?, some kind of protest before the Charlton match on the 2nd.

Dicko

Post by Dicko »

National shirts tomorrow is a fantastic idea.

Charlton is now unofficial Flag day :wink:

andybishop50

Post by andybishop50 »

I'll give it a go but with only 3 people in this thread amongst 60,000 I don't think many people will notice.

Robsy

New Year's resolution

Post by Robsy »

A while back I mentioned that I was sorting out a flag to bring and hang at the ground (at the time the plain concrete still existed on the upper level.)

Now, kinda obviously, the flag was going to be a george cross with AFC stuff on it. Then the world went a bit wierd and all of a sudden flags were banned from the ground!

Anyway, I'm pleased to announce that...erm...mum has finished the flag! Having spent the past few weeks putting it together I haven't told her what's just happened, it might just send the poor dear over the edge!

So, I for one will defo be displaying my new flag at the Charlton game. There's no bloody way her hard work is going to waste!

SUPPORT FLAG DAY!

C'MON THE GUNNERS!!

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

If anyone tries to take your flag off you, ask them for their name and address as under Article 10 of the EU Convention on Human Rights they are denying you Freedom of Expression and you can sue them.

In fact it wouldn't be a bad idea for someone to photocopy it and distribute it outside the ground.

C69

N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

Is anyone interested how many human rights laws are still being broken in the occupied part of Cyprus, which is what the disputed flag represents?

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

N13Gooner wrote:Is anyone interested how many human rights laws are still being broken in the occupied part of Cyprus, which is what the disputed flag represents?
no.

its about football, not politics. :(

C69

martbarn

Post by martbarn »

I agree - The Turkish Cypriot flag was potentially inflamatory, and should have been dealt with as an individual case - Similar to if somebody had brought in a flag with racist/nazi overtones (I am NOT drawing a comparison between Northern Cyprus and Nazi Germany by the way).

To ban all countries flags was a massive overreaction to something that could have been dealt with in about 5 minutes with a quiet word.

Dicko

Post by Dicko »

I believe a quiet word WAS hard. This did no good.

At the end of the day there are not that many flags and supporters tend to take them to away matches (esp. in Europe). Most noticeable at the new Highbury have been a couple of Irish flags.

If it gets to the point when Gilberto can't celebrate winning a trophy without parading with a Brazilian flag well then that is plain stupid.

I don't think I saw any international shirts on Saturday I had an England Tshirt but it was so cold I had it covered up.

martbarn

Post by martbarn »

OK, then take it off the person in question as that's what would happen if a Swastika was unfurled.

Also, if there's racist chanting, the individual doing it is ejected.

So Arsenal could easily have done something.

I signed the original petition as I hate Arsenal being used for polictical/religious crusading like the stuff that goes on in Scotland with Rangers and Celtic (and I think Chelsea have some sort of Ulster link as well).

I have been told that Arsenal originally did not want to get involved and were forced to by the original petition.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that this is a bit of a "F*ck the lot of you, no flags then" from the club?

goonermc

Post by goonermc »

I had my England top on but, same as you Dicko, it was freezing and i was well covered up. This ban on flags, is it a stadium ban or just for us Gooners, if Arsenal want to attract the Champions league final are they going to say to the competing teams fans no flags allowed, or a repeat of say, Brazil-Argentina, you can come along but don't bring your countrys flag. Probably not, so i suppose it is just for us, the ones that make a new stadium possible. What next!!?.

GreekCypo21

Cypriot flags

Post by GreekCypo21 »

Why is this subject even being brought up into the world of sport. So what people take the cypriot flags whether its greek or turkish. Im a greek cypriot and yes it angers me to see the turkish cypriot flag at the games BUT I overlook it because i am there to support my team! If the people want to bring in stupid arguments about this then do but if u are a true fan then it really wont effect you :!: :!: :!:

martbarn

Re: Cypriot flags

Post by martbarn »

More power to you mate if you can turn the other cheek, especially given your ethnic background.

However, in my opinion you sometimes have to stand up and say "I don't agree with that".

Sport should not be about these sort of issues - That's why I signed the petition.

N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

clockender1 wrote:
N13Gooner wrote:Is anyone interested how many human rights laws are still being broken in the occupied part of Cyprus, which is what the disputed flag represents?
no.

its about football, not politics. :(

C69
Clockender, I thoroughly agree that football should not be mixed with politics. But theoretically speaking, if we were to go back to when there was aparthaid in South Africa and in the ground a South African flew the flag of the pro-aparthaid government which had been condemned by the rest of the world, would you not expect our black supporters to get annoyed? Lets say for relevance sake, the South African aparthaid state was not even recognised as a country. This is similar to what is going on in Cyprus today.

Unfortunatly, politics has been pushed in our faces here. Would you still want political or contraversial flags allowed inside the ground, even if the issue didnt affect you?

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

thats not what you asked tho - you said is anyone interested in human rights in Cyprus.

Away from football, yes i am.

I am against all human rights abuses where ever they occur, but while i'm at the stadium i am only interested in The Arsenal.

If people want to fly the flags of their homeland at games without direct political intention they should be able to - even if it is from an unpopular nation or one some see as 'illegitimate' .

Let us not forget that much of the arab world and even some jewish fundamentalist do not believe that the state of Israel should be internationally recognised - what should we do, ban the star of david ?

and what about Northern Ireland ? some fenians don't recognise the six counties. or North Korea ? is that a legitimate state ? - once we draw a line and censor where do we stop ? do we ban iranian flags because we oppose their nucleur program ?

the answer is that politics should be left at home and not brought to the stadium - the world of The Arsenal has many faces and we should accept all who sit amongst us as equals.

As i said in another thread, it's a sad fact but the greek cypriots who opposed the TFNC flag actually made that flag political when they started the petition and complained to the club - now all turkish and cypriot flags inside the ground will be seen as political.

I have written to the club and suggested that only greek, turkish and cypriot flags be banned as they will now obviously be only flown for political reasons.

I hope that is the way the club will go forward out of this mess.