THE CHARLIE! CHARLIE! one of our own 'GOOD GUYS' THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: THE CHARLIE! CHARLIE! one of our own 'GOOD GUYS' THREAD

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 am
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:05 pm
My brother Bob or Robert as he was called in his teaching days in Willesden Green, he was a top top guy who loved The Arsenal,died after suffering from Alhzeimers.

He was 20 years older than me and was a great all round sportsman and father and grandfather.

I still remember him from my youth when he would pop down for weekends, he was so much fun and I would cry when he would go back home.

Later on he would just turn up on my doorstep and I would invite him in and he would stay for days on end (drinking all my beer :lol: ) and we would have stupid water fights in the garden that started with my sons water guns and ended up with buckets of water :lol:

As a teenager I would get the bus and stay with him when he used to live in Southampton, he would take me to watch Hampshire play cricket, those days were magical and unforgettable.

I wasn't going to post this as it upsets me to even write it but thought he needed a mention to some fellow gooners.

Now its got me crying again, see this is what it does writing something so personal, we all have to grasp this life and live it to the full because its only brief and gone in the blink of an eye.

I've lost my eldest brother an sister (Gloria) within a year, they were quite a few years older than me but that doesn't detract from the loss.

My nephew David who played for The Arsenal youth up until he was 15 before some idiot broke his leg in a kick about in the park died at 28, his wife died 3 weeks later from which the coroner could not identify, they left 2 and 6 old children, his funeral flowers were all Arsenal colours and we all wore red ties.

I have a huge family so maybe the odds are I'm going to suffer more losses as the percentages are higher but as a family oriented man that is just hard to bare.

Sorry to drag anyone down because I know I only post jokes (and not very funny ones I know) but needed to mention these guys.

I've posted this a few times and always deleted it.
Wow man. What a wonderful tribute to your brother, Lefty. I'm welling up reading it mate. I'm so sorry for your loss. May Rob rest in peace. 8)
Thanks mate, you would have liked the guy he was one of us and loved life, The Arsenal and family, not to mention a beer, thank you for the kind words 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

gazzatt2 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:05 am
a lovely tribute to your brother
I hope writing the post has helped you
RIP Bob
Thanks Gaz, yes it did help, I wrote it a few times but deleted it. I'm glad I posted it now though, thanks for the kind words 8)

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

My brother Bob or Robert as he was called in his teaching days in Willesden Green, he was a top top guy who loved The Arsenal,died after suffering from Alhzeimers.

He was 20 years older than me and was a great all round sportsman and father and grandfather.

I still remember him from my youth when he would pop down for weekends, he was so much fun and I would cry when he would go back home.

Later on he would just turn up on my doorstep and I would invite him in and he would stay for days on end (drinking all my beer :lol: ) and we would have stupid water fights in the garden that started with my sons water guns and ended up with buckets of water :lol:

As a teenager I would get the bus and stay with him when he used to live in Southampton, he would take me to watch Hampshire play cricket, those days were magical and unforgettable.

I wasn't going to post this as it upsets me to even write it but thought he needed a mention to some fellow gooners.

Now its got me crying again, see this is what it does writing something so personal, we all have to grasp this life and live it to the full because its only brief and gone in the blink of an eye.

I've lost my eldest brother an sister (Gloria) within a year, they were quite a few years older than me but that doesn't detract from the loss.

My nephew David who played for The Arsenal youth up until he was 15 before some idiot broke his leg in a kick about in the park died at 28, his wife died 3 weeks later from which the coroner could not identify, they left 2 and 6 old children, his funeral flowers were all Arsenal colours and we all wore red ties.

I have a huge family so maybe the odds are I'm going to suffer more losses as the percentages are higher but as a family oriented man that is just hard to bare.

Sorry to drag anyone down because I know I only post jokes (and not very funny ones I know) but needed to mention these guys.

That is a lovely story and lovely memories for you..He was brother and obviously a cherished role model. Sincerest sympathies on your loss.

Clash

Post by Clash »

That is beautifully written. You've done your brother proud there Lefty! Sounds like a good guy who lived life to the full. May he rest in peace!

Nobody can take those memories away from you and as time passes its amazing how little things will just pop back into your mind. Life is as much about the memories as it is anything else.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Fair play to you mate and brave of you to finally hit the submit button. I hope it's brought you a little bit of peace. You mention that you've got a large family so make sure you spend as much time with them as you can.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:36 am

That is a lovely story and lovely memories for you..He was brother and obviously a cherished role model. Sincerest sympathies on your loss.
Thank you Brady for those lovely words, much appreciated 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Clash wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:08 pm

That is beautifully written. You've done your brother proud there Lefty! Sounds like a good guy who lived life to the full. May he rest in peace!

Nobody can take those memories away from you and as time passes its amazing how little things will just pop back into your mind. Life is as much about the memories as it is anything else.
Thanks Clash, he was a great guy and would appreciate your kind words, yes the memories are always there and little things do remind me of him all the time 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:30 pm
Fair play to you mate and brave of you to finally hit the submit button. I hope it's brought you a little bit of peace. You mention that you've got a large family so make sure you spend as much time with them as you can.
Thanks Jock, yes it took a while to submit it because I didn't want to appear to be wanting sympathy but just wanted him mentioned on this Gooner forum because he was one of us.

Yes I love my big family and do keep in touch with them all, its been great recently to finally meet with again after this nightmare we are in, obviously that could all change but I will always be ringing them and checking that they are all good.

Thanks again mate 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

I tbink I owe you guys some jokes (as bad as they are) for unloading some quite deep emotions on you but thanks again for your caring 8)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Lefty, I’ve only just been in the basement to read this, as others have said, it’s a lovely post, and hope it has helped you in the grieving process to finally post it as a way to remember him.

Remember the goof times you shared together to get you through the bad days :barscarf:

Best wishes mate

Ps not all your jokes are that bad

LeftfootlegendGooner

StuartL wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Lefty, I’ve only just been in the basement to read this, as others have said, it’s a lovely post, and hope it has helped you in the grieving process to finally post it as a way to remember him.

Remember the goof times you shared together to get you through the bad days :barscarf:

Best wishes mate

Ps not all your jokes are that bad
Cheers Stu, much appreciated, yes it has helped and I do remember all the great times we had. 8)

CollenG53

Post by CollenG53 »

so happy for him to get the win against PL opposition. looking out for them in the draw tmr