Flag ban petition creator explains (Dec 28)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
archiks

Post by archiks »

We would like to take this opportunity to tell you the TRUE story and make things clear for all fans to understand.

A Turkish Cypriot fan started bringing his Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus flag to the games. We as Greek and Greek Cypriot season ticket holders firstly found this offensive and complained to a steward, who then got him to remove it. He then came back with a solicitors letter saying that they couldnt stop him bringing his flag, which in fact Arsenal could because the Emirates is private property and they can stop anyone doing anything.
Cut a long story short Cyprus was invaded by Turkey in 1974 and they still illegally hold 33% of our country by force of arms. For him to show this huge illegal military flag (unrecognised by ANY COUNTRY in the world apart from Turky) was a slap in the face for us Greeks and a reminder of our lost ones and stolen homes, but also this guy wanted to bring this flag to the front for all to see in his organisations quest to "get this flag up in as many public places as possible"(quote from their own forums).
To us this flag is the same as showing a swastika to a Jew. So we decided to raise a petition against arsenals decision to not ban this particular political flag, after all we come to see arsenal play with no politics involved.
We were astounded by the response as we had 9.899 signatures in 9 days, so we arranged a meeting with Keith Edelman and John Beattie. We asked for this flag to be removed as it stood for alot of things NON FOOTBALL, represened murder and theft and was a constant dig at us Greeks. I wont bore you with the actual conversation with Mr Edelman or Mr Beattie but Mr Edelman said that "If this guy doesnt agree to drop his flag then we have no choice but to ban ALL national flags from Emirates" So they met with the guy in question, He refused to drop his flag, Arsenal Banned them all.
This decision was taken by Arsenal Football Club and no one else, we DID NOT WANT ALL OTHER FLAGS BANNED, we actually told Mr Edelman this was the wrong decision but the decision was made.
the press writing stuff about "potential violence" is utter CRAP as this has never or will ever reach that point.
Thats the long and short of it....UP THE ARSENAL (excluding the politics)

gooner Erol

Repy to archiks

Post by gooner Erol »

Totally wrong i'm afraid(again), the guy is a season ticket holder & has been for years,his seat is in the front row of the upper tier,when Arsenal asked fans to decorate the tiers he took along his Turkish Cypriot flag.If, was planned since the start of the season by Turks you would of seen loads more on show but no you only saw this guy's one.....But i'm afraid the racism he encountered by you greeks put paid to that & you people are showing the whole world your bigoted views which you have been spouting off for years & sorry for you to hear this,but even neutral nationalities realise that there is the other side to the argument but hey, thanks for bringing it to their attention.
Because the violence threats were real & was mentioned at the meeting but again,it's good for you to deny this as usual.

Oh i nearly for forgot, UP THE ARSENAL (of course excluding your politics)

kypros

Post by kypros »

Erol

There is only one side to this story.. You’re a confused young man

There is only one CYPRUS ..There is only one Government (which Denktash was a part of before the Turkish invasion in 1974) There is only one flag

Why don’t you call yourself Anglo-Turk , get a saint Georges flag draw half a moon and a star on it, get the Turks to invade Stoke Newington ,Cleanse any other religion or race become President and demand that the rest of the world recognises you as a country and that the flag should be flown at the Emirates

PS.. and if anyone that lost family ,homes,possessions in the process complains about the flag tell’em you have rights.

gooner Erol

Post by gooner Erol »

kypros your a RACIST please stop repeating yourself your boring us please!

Come on you Gunners!

archiks

Post by archiks »

Mr Errol or whatever your name is....I think you'll find that WE brought it to the attention of Arsenal Football Club of the threats towards me. Not only on my mobile phone, but also at my HOME where my family live and also on the petition itself....oh and not to mention actually being FOLLOWED after our meeting with Arsenal by a Turkish "friend". We have the police reports, your assistance in this matter would of course be appreciated, im sure the police would like to hear your side of the story and the threats directed to you Mr Errol?
We did not get into this to get a ban on all flags and we knew it would upset the "PRO TURKEY" Turks who are involved in this political agenda.
And as far as being racist and these people NOT wanting to bring politics to football? You will find interesting reading on the atca.com website forum the disgusting comments made by the Turks and the QUOTES of "lets get all our flags up and down the country in all sports to be shown on TV!!" and the propoganda written on embargoed website.
Please do not begin to tell me about threats as you have no idea of the intimidation tactics used against me.

N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

Unfortunatly it doesnt suprise me that Archiks received threats when he used democratic and legal means to remove an offensive flag from the Emirates.

Turks are so blindly nationalistic that they literally idolise the Turkish flag. Its illegal to NOT BE NATIONALISTIC in Turkey. One of the many problems keeping them from the EU.