USMARTIN'S MAILBAG - SPECIAL EARLY EDITION(As In Early HERE)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
USMartin

USMARTIN'S MAILBAG - SPECIAL EARLY EDITION(As In Early HERE)

Post by USMartin »

Hello everybody. I don't think I need to say it but obviously I disagree with a lot of the efforts to solely focus blame for our current predicament on simply poor decision-making by our manager - not because he is a perfect manager but as I will focus on another day - I cannot see how he suddenly become so competent and even if that were the case how our Board could fail too eother see or react to this. I just don't believe this is logically possible.

The result is a lot of really good people engaging in a collective exercise in denial in which they seem to be competing to see who can make the statement most steeply staked in sheer avoidance of reality now. I'll cite an example from to me one of the very best posters on here on his day
augie wrote:These players are on easy street strolling around in wengerworld and I can guarantee you that a new manager brought in from outside (as opposed to internal promotion) would either sort that out and get rid of the slackers that wenger loves :roll:
Okay then how exactly can you guarantee this then Augie? And what are ready and willing to do if in fact this new manager does not do as you guarantee they will? All we ever here is nothing is guaranteed in football - Even Board members have pointed out that spending more does not guarantee winning anything, and having watched a variety of sports long enough that is certainly true. But if that is true spending more can't guarantee what we want on the pitch how can hiring a new manager guarantee delivering it and better how can you guarantee they will deliver - especially if they have the same working budget as the present manager which logic suggests is likely and even certain.

Seriously why are so many so eager to avoid reality and what does it accomplish?

For example I can guarantee with equal or greater certainty that if the Arsenal Board actually was making significantly more money available to the manager to spend and actually wanted it spent by the manager at this time either the money would be being spent or the manager who was refusing to spend it would have been sacked by now. If we can see all this going on the Board absolutely has to see it because they are dealing with it directly every day and have all the complete information we lack – the lack of complete information the Board’s apologists hides behind.

I can guarantee that if our Board actually wanted more money invested in the team that surely would be happening either by Arsene Wenger now or his replacement now. That the manager is not spending more money and is under no pressure to do so six years on is strong evidence to any true realist about our plight that the Board are happy with things as they are. It is in fact absolute evidence of it, because if they were not they could do several things to change the situation for the better and in six years have apparently done nothing but cynically mis-lead supporters all too often all too willing to be mis-led about this reality.

They would rather simply sack the manager and believe that alone would guarantee change for the better without thinking beyond what happens once the manager is sacked. Frankly the people who believe this kind of bizarre reasoning sound more deluded than they like to believe the current manager is.

If you doubt this let’s dip into the bag again in the next post so those who wish can take a breather...
Last edited by USMartin on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

USMartin

Now that you've had a sec...

Post by USMartin »

As I say we seem desperate not to deal with this realistically. Let's go back a few days - and consider who we insist on discussing as potential; replacements for Arsene Wenger
goonersid wrote:In response to the totally pointless "players to get us back where we belong" thread.
And to be used as a future reference by the AKB, instead of the usual "who would replace him" shite that they usually come up with.

Hiddink
Rijkaard
Van Gaal
Mourinho (probably missed the boat here, but you never know)
Koemann (with DB as assistant)
Moyes
O' Neill (simply to restore passion and committment)
Coyle (a gamble but could do worse)
You may not agree with them all and I'm sure some won't agree with any
:roll:

Now let’s consider these names. Are the first four realistic under the club’s current financial policy? Please the only way any one of the might consider coming to Arsenal is to come on wages matching or exceeding Arsene Wenger’s and with no requirement to win any major trophies – in other words they would come to keep us top-four. They could not do any better than what Arsene Wenger has since 2005 on the same money he has had to spend and logic tells us he has not had the same money or close to it he had prior to 2005. So true realists can eliminate the first four names certainly – at least if they would be coming to compete to achieve more than we have recently. BTW I think we can add the highly popular Pep Guardiola to the first group as well as Joachim Low.

So what of the last four names? Well Koeman and O’Neill are this only managers with any major silverware, and given that O’Neill won his at a club where if you are manager you have a 50/chance to win your League, and that Koeman won all his trophies in the Dutch Eriedivisie quite similar in nature but has seen his last two jobs end in disaster, it’s hard to be overly excited about them.

And Moyes and Coyle? Unless they had significantly more money than the current manager does how could they improve on the team’s performance since 2005? I mean they have won nothing at the top level, so what could they do to make the situation better here? Of course if they could do more with more money I’d bet the current manager could too, but that gets in the way of the point I guess.

This is something that again is being ignored. You don’t sack the manager just because. And things will not get better just because. They may not get worse, but they certainly will not get better because to get better we would have to be finishing first or second instead of third or fourth as we are now. And no matter who we may hire if we sack Arsene Wenger the idea that things would improve without a sincere re-investment of additional funds in this team we will not move beyond third or fourth then if we cannot do so now – unless Man United and Chelsea fall off the face of the earth and winning the League by default is no better than winning the Carling Cup is now to many. How would finishing third or fourth the next six years represent an improvement over what is happening now?

Again we need to be realistic here – pretending that things will change for the better simply by sacking the manager is naïve at best. At its worst it will simply leave a lot of Gooners that much more frustrated and angry within a year of his replacement’s arrival unless the Board show the ambition they have conspicuously refused to show themselves or refused to demand their employees - like Arsene Wenger - show since 2005. And unless they are made to feel some pressure to show that ambition why would or should they? And so long as would rather just push the manager out to feel better and worry about where we go from there later what pressure is the Board being put under? I have to be fair and point out Sid did not expect unanimous agreement about of the names he suggested but again what is the point of suggesting names - as so many have - who logic tells us are certain not to sign on here at this time under this financial policy?

I mean what is the point of pining for Katy Perry if the best you can do is pull an Amy Winehouse impersonator on your wage packet?

Note - if you are talking musical talent and artistry than it's Amy all the way - even the impersonator. But if you're pining for what I think you naughty boys and girls are it's gotta be Katy I think....

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Sorry, but I have to say this your post is far to long that I haven't got the energy to read it.
I think most of us like short posts. Quick to read and easy on the eye.
8)

REB

Post by REB »

Boomer wrote:Sorry, but I have to say this your post is far to long that I haven't got the energy to read it.
I think most of us like short posts. Quick to read and easy on the eye.
8)
one things for sure usmartin, you dont give up :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Martin. Seriously. You can have one open thread on the Arsenal board and that is it. You cannot dominate the forum like this. I'm locking the other thread down and will leave this one open for now. If you start another thread about the board I will lock it as it is basically the same message being repeated. There are other members on here too you know...

If you want this to work you have to do your part too. No multiple threads about the board. Ok?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Martin. Seriously. You can have one open thread on the Arsenal board and that is it. You cannot dominate the forum like this. I'm locking the other thread down and will leave this one open for now. If you start another thread about the board I will lock it as it is basically the same message being repeated. There are other members on here too you know...

If you want this to work you have to do your part too. No multiple threads about the board. Ok?
spoilsport :roll:

cant you lock this one too?

:wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Martin. Seriously. You can have one open thread on the Arsenal board and that is it. You cannot dominate the forum like this. I'm locking the other thread down and will leave this one open for now. If you start another thread about the board I will lock it as it is basically the same message being repeated. There are other members on here too you know...

Hey you voted me worst mod of the year ya crunt. You pay peanuts ya get monkeys. With really big cocks. 8)

Arsenal 1991

Post by Arsenal 1991 »

Do you have to always fucking write essays? :?

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

flash gunner wrote:

Not unless there a reason to lock this one. :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Arsenal 1991 wrote:Do you have to always fucking write essays? :?
Sorry i'll try to make the posts shorter in future :? :oops:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

@ USM "SIT DOWN SHUT UP, SIT DOWN SHUT UP" :barscarf:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Thank fuck for that. 8)

The thought of a brand new "martins mailbag" every fucking day... :x

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Might I make a suggestion USMartin!? (and no I'm not going to suggest you Feck Off etc etc), but surely it would be of more benefit and interest to everyone (includiing your good self) on here if you selected and focused on one small point at a time rather than 'scatterblast' us with so much information etc. So perhaps we can digest what you've put forward and if wishing to ignore or contribute to that point/subject.....I get so little personal time, and i come on here for a bit of banter etc etc and to C*nt people etc who thoroughly deserve it! :D :wink: most of us simply don't have the time, energy or inclination to wade through endless reams (that's reams not rims you load of tennisclique pervs! :lol: ) of diatribe....
That way you might get some worthwhile feedback or polemic instead of the (what has now become) the usual slagging off etc....

If you feel unable to do that then maybe you need to find another way, it's obvious you have great passion for Arsenal and so do what you do for genuine reasons....

either that or start your own website! :wink: :barscarf:

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

I do not mean to appear disrespectful in any way - and hope to discuss the further with you off the forum but I must point out that in the first two mailbags including the one you closed there is in fact no reference whatsoever to the Board or its policies.

http://www.onlinegooner.com/phpbb2/view ... hp?t=27100

The first mailbag was devoted to whether we could beat ManU Monday night and whether wecould in fact comepte to win the League this year

http://www.onlinegooner.com/phpbb2/view ... sc&start=0

The second mailbag itself became a discussion about the Board but in my imitial post was devoted to the point that the same people who complained about hijacking other threads to expresss my views were complaining about me not hi-jacking other threads to express my views. All discussion aboiut the Board came only is response to another forum member bringing the issue up.

I just think it's fair to point out that in fact this is the first thread I have opened this week that addressed the Board specifically in any way, and if you read the posts opening the other two threads that is quite clear. I am not trying to have a go here and as I say I hope we can discuss this further via PM because I like and respect you and I sense the same from you, but as I say I do think it's fair to point that out here.

enjibenji

Post by enjibenji »

how much is that move company charging you for these mailbags then :lol: