So you want a standing section at Arsenal? (9 Jan)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mkb

Standing Room

Post by mkb »

I'm for it - but as I live abroad, I don't have an MP (nobody loses all thetime).
I would like the standing section only to be available via payment at the turnstile, like it used to be in the dear dead days when a ticket o Highbury cost me 6s 8d.
Unfortunately, providing such an elementary service seems to have gone the way of shillings and pence...

N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

I can see MKB's point...

People need to think about this properly before assuming standing will make the atmosphere return to how it used to be.

Remember before all seater stadiums, you could pay for entry into the ground, meet your friends on the terraces and have a laugh and a sing song. I dont think standing will be as good if your allocated a single place to stand - you still wont be guaranteed to be close to your friends or even create a section of loud support.

The question is, can you see safety officers allowing the return of stand- where-you-want terraces??

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

MKB - write to the Home Secretary :wink:

I would like to see the return of limited standing, and pay as you enter too but i don't think they can tell you where to stand exactly can they ?

what they can do, is what they used to do in the away end at OT (spit) which was to have about 6 sections and they'd fill the furthest away first and work back towards the exit. once they were full you could move around. it worked quite well i thought.

the only problem i see is that the new stadium isn't designed for it - they would have to rebuild a lower tier at one end, so the Board (spit again) probably wouldn't take up that option due to the cost. especially as thats one reason they gave for leaving Highbury.

If they allow standing back and we left Highbury for nothing i will be sooo gutted.

N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

I really doubt the club will spend money on turning part of the ground into terraces. Just imagine, all those cushioned spacious seats being ripped out.

If the club wont bother making a proper dug out for the players, I doubt they will change a whole or part of a stand to revert to standing. Unfortunatly, it seems it will go againsts the clubs new image.