Guitarist's Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
goonersid

Re: Guitarist's Thread

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:33 am
Have a listen to this. Its the isolated guitar track of Eddie Van Halen playing "I'm the One" from their debut album. Straight through. No overdubs. Rhythm and lead solo recorded as one take. Absolute genius. 8)

https://youtu.be/RweYvX_p3DM
Good, but not this good! 8)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iypw6ZPAPo

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:59 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Have a listen to this. Its the isolated guitar track of Eddie Van Halen playing "I'm the One" from their debut album. Straight through. No overdubs. Rhythm and lead solo recorded as one take. Absolute genius. 8)

I genuinely liked Gallagher sid, especially when he let rip, but tbh anyone can spoof their way through the blues and the pentatonic scale. EVH is playing mixolydian and harmonic minor scales in a one take. EVH is the GOAT dude. 8)

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:18 pm
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I genuinely liked Gallagher sid, especially when he let rip, but tbh anyone can spoof their way through the blues and the pentatonic scale. EVH is playing mixolydian and harmonic minor scales in a one take. EVH is the GOAT dude. 8)
Hardly spoofing his way DB, regarded as a "guitarists, guitarist"
Turned down the Stones and Deep Purple!
I think it was 5 or 7 encores at the Jimmy Hendrix" Isle of wight festival!
After which when Hendrix was interviewed as the greatest guitarist in the world , he replied with something like "no that's rory gallagher"
Check out "what in the world" for melodic solo!
Listen for the similarity with Zepps "since i've been loving you"
And you can tell straight away , he was superior to Jimmy Page!
I do like a lot a of Van Halen stuff, but I honestly think , true Rock music was in decline in the 80's, when you youngsters where growing up. :wink:
The days of great British bands like Sabbath, UFO, Deep Purple, zepp, where replaced by shite like Saxon, deff leppard!
The bands from the states were superior, even Bon Jovi were better than what britain was producing!
BTW , I'm on site in and staying in an hotel in Dundalk so in a very gipsy argumentative type mood :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:02 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

After which when Hendrix was interviewed as the greatest guitarist in the world , he replied with something like "no that's rory gallagher"
I do like a lot a of Van Halen stuff, but I honestly think , true Rock music was in decline in the 80's, when you youngsters where growing up. :wink:
The days of great British bands like Sabbath, UFO, Deep Purple, zepp, where replaced by shite like Saxon, deff leppard!
The bands from the states were superior, even Bon Jovi were better than what britain was producing!
BTW , I'm on site in and staying in an hotel in Dundalk so in a very gipsy argumentative type mood :lol:
You do have the air of a gippo about you alright sid! :lol: :wink:

The Purple story unfortunately is a myth. He had Roger Glover work some production with him but was never asked to join. Blackmore's more technical stuff would have been beyond him tbh. No slight on Rory but they are very different styles.

The Stones thing was at a time when they spoke to about twenty guitarists after Mick Taylor walked out. Its questionable how serious that offer was as it only came from Ian Stewart who was only the pianist and road manager. It didn't come from the band or the actual manager. None of the actual Stones seemed aware of it. Rory only met Richards who was too drunk to talk and Rory hopped on a plane the next day and left.

There is a lot of well meaning myths about Rory on the interwebs and in books. He was allegedly asked to join every band that ever got famous! Most have been disproved.

And blues is all spoof. Trust me. I can bang out a few pentatonic leads and sound like an 80 year old Delta veteran in a second. The pentatonic is sneered at and called the "box" for a reason - you can't fall out of it or get lost while noodling. All spoof. :D

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:40 pm
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

The Purple story unfortunately is a myth. He had Roger Glover work some production with him but was never asked to join. Blackmore's more technical stuff would have been beyond him tbh. No slight on Rory but they are very different styles.

The Stones thing was at a time when they spoke to about twenty guitarists after Mick Taylor walked out. Its questionable how serious that offer was as it only came from Ian Stewart who was only the pianist and road manager. It didn't come from the band or the actual manager. None of the actual Stones seemed aware of it. Rory only met Richards who was too drunk to talk and Rory hopped on a plane the next day and left.

There is a lot of well meaning myths about Rory on the interwebs and in books. He was allegedly asked to join every band that ever got famous! Most have been disproved.

And blues is all spoof. Trust me. I can bang out a few pentatonic leads and sound like an 80 year old Delta veteran in a second. The pentatonic is sneered at and called the "box" for a reason - you can't fall out of it or get lost while noodling. All spoof. :D
Blackmore? Don't make me laugh! Completely over rated!
Come clean, I bet you were one of the 2 million, devastated when Garth Brooks cancelled !! :lol:
You're a free state culchie Philistine !
:box: :box: :box: :lol: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I agree to an extent on the likes of Sabbath & Purple etc - BUT Saxon and Def Leppard were both very decent bands mate...

Verrily Tis True, he was also asked to join some less famous bands also. He also tried to worm his way into one or two other bands also but got knocked back... One being the first band I ever played in (I was playing Bass) and he came to see us play - it was a low key gig with some record types there to check us out - And Rory Gallagher or was it Gilligan ? :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: - anyway he watched us and came back-stage after the gig saying how much he'd enjoyed the show etc :blah: :blah: :blah: :roll: And said he thought we could "Really go places" - "If he was on lead guitar" Yeah I knowww the cheeky Cuntt... so we all looked at each other then turned as one and told him to FucktheFuckOff!..

Yeah! Never ever rated him - and he was most definitely "Over-Rated".. :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:40 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:

Blackmore? Don't make me laugh! Completely over rated!
Come clean, I bet you were one of the 2 million, devastated when Garth Brooks cancelled !! :lol:
You're a free state culchie Philistine !
:box: :box: :box: :lol: :lol:
Who or what is a Garth Brooks? Was he the patronising little prick that used to play for tottnumb? :lol: :wink:

Have to admit Blackmore sounds very dated nowadays but at the time he was probably the most original guitarist alive from about 1968 to maybe 1975 or so. His neo classical scales hadn't been tried on electric rock guitar to that point.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:33 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:

I agree to an extent on the likes of Sabbath & Purple etc - BUT Saxon and Def Leppard were both very decent bands mate...

Verrily Tis True, he was also asked to join some less famous bands also. He also tried to worm his way into one or two other bands also but got knocked back... One being the first band I ever played in (I was playing Bass) and he came to see us play - it was a low key gig with some record types there to check us out - And Rory Gallagher or was it Gilligan ? :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: - anyway he watched us and came back-stage after the gig saying how much he'd enjoyed the show etc :blah: :blah: :blah: :roll: And said he thought we could "Really go places" - "If he was on lead guitar" Yeah I knowww the cheeky Cuntt... so we all looked at each other then turned as one and told him to FucktheFuckOff!..

OBG you must be in your 70s!
Rory was born in 1948, he played Isle if Wight in 1970 when he was 22!
Please explain how he turned up at what must have been a fucking "glee club" gig? Given your age?
Saxon and Def Leppard were fucking shite!
Def Leppard??? Pour some fucking sugar on me ? ?
Sweet Jesus? If you think that's decent, then I'd love to see your "boyband"cd collection!
Sweet holy fuck! I could almost excuse Saxon!
But Def Leppard???
And you have the audacity to slag off Rory Gallagher?
I credited you with more intelligence and taste than that!
Or are you winding me up :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Given what I've said earlier I should clarify I do actually love Rory Gallagher as a guitar player. For me though he wasn't as technically gifted as EVH. But that's just personal taste of course - which is what all music is about. 8)

I hope you didn't get the impression I was dissing Rory, sid. The man was brilliant.

As well as being a lifelong Sabbath fan, I also loved that NWOBHM: Saxon, Mamas Boys, Diamond Head, Motorhead, Priest, Maiden, all great bands.

And I loved that 80s LA metal scene too: Van Halen, Motley Crüe, Dokken, RATT, Queensrÿche, Whitesnake, Ozzy with Jake E Lee on guitar, Dio with Vivian Campbell on guitar, Guns n Roses, even a couple of Def Leppard songs! :shock: :lol:

Basically I just love most guitar music. Punk, metal, Ska, you name it..... everything except fucking reggae and country & Western! :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:17 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Please explain how he turned up at what must have been a fucking "glee club" gig? Given your age?
Sweet Jesus? If you think that's decent, then I'd love to see your "boyband"cd collection!
But Def Leppard???
70's!!!??? :shock: :shock: :shock: You cheeky inbred culchie gippo vagrant! :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

No mate a LOT Younger than that (and you) yer ole feckkerrr!

Seriously Gallagher was just overrated... I can understand why a cheeky inbred culchie gippo vagrant! would rate him and idolise him... but let's be honest he couldn't sing, he was Average at best compared to the likes of:

EVH
Blackmore (in his prime)
Iommi
Steve Howe
Steve Vai
Satriani
Angus
Francis Dunnery
and of course let's not forget the Late GREAT! Randy Rhoads ....

To name just a few

About the only half good (ish) thing about his band was the bass player Gerry McAvoy and the drummer Rod D'Ath

Oh! And his checked shirts were better than his guitar playing.:proudtosay:

Face it Sid your taste in guitarists is Utter SHYTE.

:D. :goingtobed:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:10 pm
goonersid wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:

But Def Leppard???
70's!!!??? :shock: :shock: :shock: You cheeky inbred culchie gippo vagrant! :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Seriously Gallagher was just overrated... I can understand why a cheeky inbred culchie gippo vagrant! would rate him and idolise him... but let's be honest he couldn't sing, he was Average at best compared to the likes of:

EVH
Blackmore (in his prime)
Iommi
Steve Howe
Steve Vai
Satriani
Angus
Francis Dunnery

To name just a few

About the only half good (ish) thing about his band was the bass player Gerry McAvoy and the drummer Rod D'Ath

Well l've read some utter shite on here over the years, most of it probably posted by yourself :lol: but you've excelled yourself here!
I was a huge AC/DC fan in my teens and as much as I loved Angus, he couldn't hold a candle to RG. Malcolm Young himself as much as admitted it, when they were looking for a definitive sound and style, they were great admirers of RG and came to the conclusion there was no point in trying to compete with him. (ref: hell aint a bad place to be, mick wall)
He was voted "musician of the year" think it was 71.
You were probably still only a tiny little sperm swimming around in yer old fella's ballbag :D
Eric Clapton said, it was listening to RG that made him fall back in love with music (or words to that effect)
Try reading a rare Hot Press interview with Slash, where he talks about the "genius" Rory Gallagher.(must have thought he was decent enough player, having bringing him on stage to jam during a Guns n' roses gig.
I could go on and on, but what's the point of talking about music to someone who is clearly tone deaf! Def Leppard :rubchin:
I will excuse the fact you obviously haven't got a fucking notion of what your talking about and put it down to the inexperience and lack of knowledge of a youngster! :wink: :lol: And of course your hearing problem :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:16 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:10 pm
goonersid wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

But Def Leppard???

EVH
Blackmore (in his prime)
Iommi
Steve Howe
Steve Vai
Satriani
Angus
Francis Dunnery

To name just a few

Well l've read some utter shite on here over the years, most of it probably posted by yourself :lol: but you've excelled yourself here!
I was a huge AC/DC fan in my teens and as much as I loved Angus, he couldn't hold a candle to RG. Malcolm Young himself as much as admitted it, when they were looking for a definitive sound and style, they were great admirers of RG and came to the conclusion there was no point in trying to compete with him. (ref: hell aint a bad place to be, mick wall)
He was voted "musician of the year" think it was 71.
You were probably still only a tiny little sperm swimming around in yer old fella's ballbag :D
Eric Clapton said, it was listening to RG that made him fall back in love with music (or words to that effect)
Try reading a rare Hot Press interview with Slash, where he talks about the "genius" Rory Gallagher.(must have thought he was decent enough player, having bringing him on stage to jam during a Guns n' roses gig.
I could go on and on, but what's the point of talking about music to someone who is clearly tone deaf! Def Leppard :rubchin:
I will excuse the fact you obviously haven't got a fucking notion of what your talking about and put it down to the inexperience and lack of knowledge of a youngster! :wink: :lol: And of course your hearing problem :wink:
PARDON!?????. :lol:

What Clapton actually said was"I listened to that nice Irish fella Rory Gilligan and thought fuckkkk if it's THAT Bad I'd better do something and fast if Rock & Roll is to be saved :lol: :lol:

All joshing aside (for the moment) Sid

Angus is more of a Riff / Power Chord / melodic player and so I would say that across the spectrum of playing RG is the more technically able, however
and hand on heart this is a True Story.

"I went to see him (RG) play in the local Top Rank - half about 1,200(?) all standing of course Can't recall the exact year but think it was about 198- 82? I had never got around to listening to him (and even then my musical palette was very wide Classical to Reggae to Prog to Folk (traditional), but I had once heard an album by him at a friends, his older brother was playing it up-stairs...and I asked who is that? and he said RG, and it just didn't do anything for me (sorry) But I thought it could be one of those instances when you hear someone and think Meh! Then you hear the same thing a few months later and you like it (? Weird huh) Any way - I thought no more of it then the same mate said I've got tickets for RG I said I don't think I liked what I heard and he said He's at his best Live... so okay I go along after the pre-requisite few beers.. and the crowd were going Ape-Shit, but I just could get it.

I honestly thought his voice was not good
There was a lack of melody to his songs, they just sounded messy (honest mate I am not on the wind-up here) :|

Anyway my mate and his older bro hung around at the end to get his autograph etc and whilst we were waiting we could hear them still playing (acoustic guitar/s) & singing in the dressing room....after about half an hour Gerry McAvoy came out, he sees us there were a few others as well about 12 people; he goes back into the dressing room and comes out with RG AND 3 Crates of Guinness (for us).. RG signs autographs and chats etc he was just really nice and down to earth and chatted for about half hour with everyone whilst cracking open the bottles and handinge them around whilst he was chatting and laughing. Just a genuinely nice geezer.

But for me not on my list of guitarists. <gallicshrug>

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

As DB said, music is all down to personal taste, FFS some people think country and western is the dogs bollocks, some even like def leppard :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Jimi Hendrix from 1970 - Live in Maui, there can't be more than 400 hundred people in the crowd... Amazing music - Just a pity about the Bloody Hippies! :? :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFfnlYbFEiE

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

YaaaaaaaY! I'm treating myself to one of these Little beauties next month....Paid the deposit this morning, so I'ver got it for a very good price too! :barscarf:

A Demo / Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtAT6FuD_K0