Guitarist's Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

Re: Guitarist's Thread

Post by OneBardGooner »

One of the most overrated bands ever!

After Gary Moore left they were average at best. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:03 am

:shock:

:rubchin:

How very dare you!! :box:

Lizzy were fucking epic. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:55 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

Lizzy were fucking sceptic. 8)
:rubchin: hmm okay.

:mrgreen: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:57 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

:rubchin: hmm okay I like cock.

Erm... yeah okay, cool. Live and let live. :D :wink:

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

Disclaimer, i aint a guitar player....i know my majors minors, 7ths cause i like me some blues and 5ths so i can pretend im a rocker....thats it, thats all i know and i can barely knock them together but i make some sounds and im happy at that.

Percussive guitar can fcuk right off....either play your guitar or go get some bongos...but ya cant do both!!
Regrettably i cant stand thin lizzy, and the irelands 2nd son shite they apply to aul lynott....born and mostly bred in that most irish of towns...eh...west brom. I also cant stand they way his aul wan practically made a living out of being a bit of a slag and producing a kid who was in a band...what a timewaster.

And i like the intros to Ramsteinn gigs....neigh most gigs, i like the anticipation of the band arriving on stage.....after 3 songs im bored and i wanna go home.

There.....possibly my one and only contribution to the guitar thread.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

OneBardGooner wrote:

They were a good honest rock band, excellent live and never pretending to be anything else! Underrated imo.
I agree they were weaker when moore left and their later stuff including lynott and moore's collaborations were too MTV for me.
If you want an overrated rock band?
Look no further than one of the biggest of them all!
??
Led Zeppelin!
I'm not denying their writing ability (though often plagiarised)
Take them out of the studio and they were a poor live band, often despite a fucking accompanying orchestra or backing musicians.
And as for pretentious? I've never seen anything as nauseatingly self indulgent shite as "the song remains the same"
There was much speculation, that Plant wouldn't allow AC/DC to play the same bill, citing they were too coarse, when in reality he feared they'd be blown off stage.
A running joke was that they kept a venue ahead, Plant worried that Bon Scott would rearrange his pretty boy face. :lol:
That said I do like Zepp. :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:52 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

They were a good honest rock band, excellent live and never pretending to be anything else! Underrated imo.
I agree they were weaker when moore left and their later stuff including lynott and moore's collaborations were too MTV for me.
??
Led Zeppelin!

Take them out of the studio and they were a poor live band, often despite a fucking accompanying orchestra or backing musicians.
And as for pretentious? I've never seen anything as nauseatingly self indulgent shite as "the song remains the same"
There was much speculation, that Plant wouldn't allow AC/DC to play the same bill, citing they were too coarse, when in reality he feared they'd be blown off stage.
A running joke was that they kept a venue ahead, Plant worried that Bon Scott would rearrange his pretty boy face. :lol:
All joking and leg pulling aside Sid, I agree. I saw Lizzy when Gary Moore had just joined,; I think it was their first gig in London with new line-up and they were the dogs wotsits, But I saw them years later without G. Moore and (seriously) they were average, they had lost that "edge' and had become 'Americanised / AOR(ish) ' with Scott Gorham etc. Mind you having said that Brian Downey's drum solo's were like the Hammer Of Thor coming down in the audience - amazing. But besides that there were people leaving the gig (not me!) disappointed after 35 - 40 minutes. :|

As for Zeppelin, yes I have some vinyl bootlegs of their UK (73?) Tour and they excellent, saw them 3 times after that and Live they were "overrated" - Great studio band / songs, but live Plants voice was 'weak' (as in not strong).

I too heard the same thing about AC/DC; who for me are/ were(? :cry: ) one of the Greatest LIVE acts Ever!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

xgtdec wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:04 pm
Disclaimer, i aint a guitar player....i know my majors minors, 7ths cause i like me some blues and 5ths so i can pretend im a rocker....thats it, thats all i know and i can barely knock them together but i make some sounds and im happy at that.

Percussive guitar can fcuk right off....either play your guitar or go get some bongos...but ya cant do both!!
Regrettably i cant stand thin lizzy, and the irelands 2nd son shite they apply to aul lynott....born and mostly bred in that most irish of towns...eh...west brom. I also cant stand they way his aul wan practically made a living out of being a bit of a slag and producing a kid who was in a band...what a timewaster.

And i like the intros to Ramsteinn gigs....neigh most gigs, i like the anticipation of the band arriving on stage.....after 3 songs im bored and i wanna go home.

There.....hopefully my one and only contribution to the guitar thread.

:D :wink: :wink: :wink:

I think he has proven he can "do both" :D :wink:

"after 3 songs im bored and i wanna go home." a Bit like B.B King then!? :mrgreen: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:15 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Erm... yeah okay, to be a Mod on here means I have to suck lots of cock, especially Sid's.
Look! enough DB! FFS we don't need to know.

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:37 am
xgtdec wrote:

"after 3 songs im bored and i wanna go home." a Bit like B.B King then!? :mrgreen: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Sorry yeah...he can.....what i meant to say was you cant do both and have me listen to you....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xgtdec wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:36 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:37 am
xgtdec wrote:

Sorry yeah...he can.....what i meant to say was you cant do both and have me listen to you....
Also, if you do both, you are a bit of a cùnt. :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:40 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

I love cock.

Erm... yeah okay, you like to suck lots of cock, especially Sid's. OK cool.
Look! enough DB! I LOVE cock. Thats my choice! .

:lol: :wink:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:29 am
goonersid wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:52 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

??
Led Zeppelin!

All joking and leg pulling aside Sid, I agree. I saw Lizzy when Gary Moore had just joined,; I think it was their first gig in London with new line-up and they were the dogs wotsits, But I saw them years later without G. Moore and (seriously) they were average, they had lost that "edge' and had become 'Americanised / AOR(ish) ' with Scott Gorham etc. Mind you having said that Brian Downey's drum solo's were like the Hammer Of Thor coming down in the audience - amazing. But besides that there were people leaving the gig (not me!) disappointed after 35 - 40 minutes. :|

As for Zeppelin, yes I have some vinyl bootlegs of their UK (73?) Tour and they excellent, saw them 3 times after that and Live they were "overrated" - Great studio band / songs, but live Plants voice was 'weak' (as in not strong).

I too heard the same thing about AC/DC; who for me are/ were(? :cry: ) one of the Greatest LIVE acts Ever!
Think the years of booze and drugs caught up with Lizzy performances, I think they're all dead, apart from Robertson, saw him on a bbc4 docu, he was down and out in a bedsit in Glasgow!
AC/DC in mid to late 70's had a reputation for blowing headline acts away, promoters used to warn acts what was likely to happen.
Story in "let there be rock" where they were i think it was "eddie and the hotrods" after being warned, said "we don't give a fuck" :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:22 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I also understand that DB absolutely LOVES Cock.

Look! enough DB! I know you LOVE cock. and thats your choice, but leave me out of your weird fantasies okay!! .

:D :wink:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:52 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:22 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

I also understand that DB absolutely LOVES Cock.

Look! enough DB! I know you LOVE cock. and thats your choice, but leave me out of your weird fantasies okay!! .

:D :wink:
So? Who's coming around to suck my cock? :?